Reload this Page >

Moving To Costa de La Luz in a few weeks

Moving To Costa de La Luz in a few weeks

Old Apr 6th 2009, 8:51 pm
Just Joined

Mark1983 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Moving To Costa de La Luz in a few weeks

Hi All,
I am moving to Costa De La Luz in a few weeks time, kind of a last minute decision and am looking at villas in Chiclana. I wondered if anyone would be so kind as to help with any information on the following;

Social nights/events for expats, places to meet expats?

Language classes?

Good place to buy a car from?

Place to adopt a dog, will be too lonely on my own :-)

Also I have not actualy secured a property yet so if anyone knows of a good letting agent?

And any other information that you think may help. I love watersports so hear that this is the place to be? great beaches, relaxed atmosphere, if I can find a few friends out there I think I am set for life!
Old Apr 6th 2009, 9:42 pm

crispy will become famous soon enoughcrispy will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Moving To Costa de La Luz in a few weeks

Originally Posted by Mark1983
Hi All,
I am moving to Costa De La Luz in a few weeks time, kind of a last minute decision and am looking at villas in Chiclana. I wondered if anyone would be so kind as to help with any information on the following;

Social nights/events for expats, places to meet expats?

Language classes?

Good place to buy a car from?

Place to adopt a dog, will be too lonely on my own :-)

Also I have not actualy secured a property yet so if anyone knows of a good letting agent?

And any other information that you think may help. I love watersports so hear that this is the place to be? great beaches, relaxed atmosphere, if I can find a few friends out there I think I am set for life!
Hi Mark

I live along with my hubby live in Chiclana not sure what you would be looking for here in the way of social events. Last month there was a Strictly Come Dancing competition, there are a couple of Brit Bars along with the Lemon Tree resturant (been there for dinner this evening) they hold quizz nights once a month.

The local Chiclana council have held Spanish class's in the last 2 years but they are very intense, every morning for 6 weeks, not sure when the next one will be held but there are some good Spanish teachers about. It's not a hive of socail activity here....but there are friends to be made if that's what you want.

Always dogs to be given a good home, there is a local forum to the area and this is a link to the latest good home to a puppy advert http://paulday.proboards.com/index.c...ad=3932&page=1.

I can pm you some estate agent details, will need to do that tomorrow and you may have to post another couple of times on here before you can use the PM. If you join mycadiz.biz then you can ask all your questions there, peeps on there are very helpful. Can I ask if you will need to work here in Chiclana, the reason I am asking is because if that is the case you may find a job hard to come by.

There are plenty of places to buy cars, if yo are looking for a 2nd hand one then there is someone that is reliable and honest but off the top pf my head I can't think of his name so I would have to look him up.

When is it you will be arriving?
Old Apr 6th 2009, 9:58 pm
Just Joined

Thank you Crispy so much for the reply, I did not expect so much helpful information from one person :-)

Quiz nights, a couple of English bars, sounds great to me and the advert you have provided for the puppies is brilliant!

If you can provide information for the cars and estate agent I would really appreciate it.

I am planning to come out on Friday 1st May so that I have the weekend to drive over.

Is there any further information you think I should know before arriving?, anything that surprised you when you arrived?

Thanks again!
Old Apr 6th 2009, 11:08 pm

Thank you Crispy so much for the reply, I did not expect so much helpful information from one person :-)

Quiz nights, a couple of English bars, sounds great to me and the advert you have provided for the puppies is brilliant!

If you can provide information for the cars and estate agent I would really appreciate it.

I am planning to come out on Friday 1st May so that I have the weekend to drive over.

Is there any further information you think I should know before arriving?, anything that surprised you when you arrived?

Thanks again!
Mark Chiclana is not typical of the other Costa's, it is very set in it's ways, I take it you have booked a hostel/hotel for when you arrive, make sure you keep proof of your crossing (ferry/eurotrain) coz the local plod are hot on pulling Brit plated cars up. I will get back to you hopefully tomorrow with the other details, if not wednesday.
Old Apr 7th 2009, 12:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

Chiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Mark, I too live in Chiclana and endorse what Crispy is saying. Do post on paulproboards or my cadiz as we locals know it. You will get all the answers you need from there. Can´t help with the car question. Life is very busy during July and August and the beaches are buzzing with life but come September everyone departs. There is also a local mixed football team with English and Spanish as far as I am aware which you may be interested in. I presume you will be looking to rent rather than buy at this stage. As Crispy says let us know what you are interested in and a bit about your circumstances and we will try to steer you in the right direction. Glad to hear about getting a dog. There are so many that need a good home.
Old Apr 7th 2009, 1:25 pm
Just Joined

HI Chiclanagir,
many thanks for the reply, a football team sounds good to me, basically I am 25 and have just seperated from my Wife, well, she seperated from me. I am coming to Spain to live and need just a few things;
Sun
The ocean/surfing
Internet access
A nice place to rent, preferably villa with pool ( found a couple I am just waiting for details on )
A dog
A car, any old car will do just to get me to the shops and back, although I am considering purching an estate car/small van here and driving over with my things.

Secondly I would like as a bonus;
A couple of places to meet people
Spanish classes

You are correct, initially I would be renting, looking to buy once I am settled :-)

Its a big step coming out there on my own, exciting but scary at the same time so any advice about anything is really appreciated, thank you.
Old Apr 7th 2009, 2:15 pm

HI Chiclanagir,
many thanks for the reply, a football team sounds good to me, basically I am 25 and have just seperated from my Wife, well, she seperated from me. I am coming to Spain to live and need just a few things;
Sun
The ocean/surfing
Internet access
A nice place to rent, preferably villa with pool ( found a couple I am just waiting for details on )
A dog
A car, any old car will do just to get me to the shops and back, although I am considering purching an estate car/small van here and driving over with my things.

Spanish classes

You are correct, initially I would be renting, looking to buy once I am settled :-)

Its a big step coming out there on my own, exciting but scary at the same time so any advice about anything is really appreciated, thank you.

Mark I don't want to pour water on your enthusiasm, you haven't said what line of work you will be in, there is no work here in Chiclana so unless you have a job that you can do from home with an established cliental you may struggle to make ends meet. As I say Mark I don't want to burst your bubble, life gives back what you put into it so come out here and try your feet in La Barrosa waters, hopefully it will like you as much as I'm sure you will like it. Good luck mate. Still looking for the name of the 2nd hand car chap.
Old Apr 7th 2009, 2:22 pm
Just Joined

Hi Crispy,
I am lucky enough to have an established internet business with work for at least the next year so no problem there, all I need is an internet connection :-)
Old Apr 7th 2009, 4:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

Chiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Crispy,
I am lucky enough to have an established internet business with work for at least the next year so no problem there, all I need is an internet connection :-)
If you can work from home you will be laughing. Can you speak any Spanish? Andy Pandy on mycadiz forum had a house in Marquesado to rent at a reasonable price.
Old Apr 7th 2009, 4:19 pm
YMF
Forum Regular

YMF is a name known to allYMF is a name known to allYMF is a name known to allYMF is a name known to allYMF is a name known to allYMF is a name known to allYMF is a name known to allYMF is a name known to allYMF is a name known to allYMF is a name known to allYMF is a name known to all

Hi
If you need a fast internet connection to do your work then make sure any house you rent has a connected telephone line. There are many areas here in Chiclana that have no land lines. There is another service called interlink but the connection speed will be slower. We live about five km outside Chiclana and are lucky enough to have a very reliable 3MB broadband connection.
I am sure you will soon make friends in Chiclana.
Yvonne
Old Apr 7th 2009, 4:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by YMF
Hi
If you need a fast internet connection to do your work then make sure any house you rent has a connected telephone line. There are many areas here in Chiclana that have no land lines. There is another service called interlink but the connection speed will be slower. We live about five km outside Chiclana and are lucky enough to have a very reliable 3MB broadband connection.
I am sure you will soon make friends in Chiclana.
Yvonne
Good point Yvonne.
Old Apr 7th 2009, 4:33 pm
Democracy advocate

Cape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond repute

HI Chiclanagir,
Sun
The ocean/surfing
Internet access
A dog

Spanish classes

I'm sure I might get into trouble for saying this (with the Chiclana mafia) but are you sure Chic fits your requirements? You're a young guy with limited Spanish who likes surfing - I would head for Tariffa.

Chic and environs are nice places but probably a little sedentary for a 25 yr old Brit on his own, Tariffa has a more cosmopolitan mix of foreigners there for the wind surfing etc and probably a better bar scene for a single 25 yr old guy. This would make it easier to make friends and break your way into Spanish language and Spanish living.

Good luck
Old Apr 7th 2009, 4:36 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Cape Blue
I'm sure I might get into trouble for saying this (with the Chiclana mafia) but are you sure Chic fits your requirements? You're a young guy with limited Spanish who likes surfing - I would head for Tariffa.

Chic and environs are nice places but probably a little sedentary for a 25 yr old Brit on his own, Tariffa has a more cosmopolitan mix of foreigners there for the wind surfing etc and probably a better bar scene for a single 25 yr old guy. This would make it easier to make friends and break your way into Spanish language and Spanish living.

Good luck
I second that, it would be better for a young person there.
Old Apr 7th 2009, 4:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

TheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Crispy,
Have a look at the Rosetta stone or one of the other computer based language learning software, it might give you a heads up seeing as you are so close to moving.
Old Apr 7th 2009, 5:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Cape Blue

Good luck
True but I assume Mark has done his research.

From an old Chiclanarian Mafiosa.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.