Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Moving to the costa but not working in Spain, can my kids go to state schools?

Moving to the costa but not working in Spain, can my kids go to state schools?

Old Nov 21st 2012, 11:22 am
Just Joined

Blibblob is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Moving to the costa but not working in Spain, can my kids go to state schools?

Hi there, Planning a move with my family in Jan to the costa del sol/Malaga area. Not decided yet but possibly Torrox or Alhaurin el grande/de la torre. I will keep my current job at home so will pay tax here but will be based in Spain. Due to my job/tax situation i have to stay invisible in Spain so cant get a residencia.

Would love if someone could help me out with the following questions i have! Thanks

1. If i don't have a residencia does this mean my daughter cant go to state schools or i cant open a bank account?

3. Could my husband and kids apply for residencia but not me? My husband wouldn't be working so can we show some money in the bank for his resedencia?

4. If he gets residencia could my kids go to state school or do you need to be working in Spain generating tax to avail of state schools?

5. If my kids cant go to State school, how much does private/international cost? It would beprimary school as my daughter is 5years old

6. I have a 2 year old boy so would like to send him to a guarderia/nursery. Does anyone know how much these cost? Ideally we would like a state one as opposed to private but i have no idea how much either cost.

Thanks so much for your help!
Old Nov 21st 2012, 11:55 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

cricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving to the costa but not working in Spain, can my kids go to state schools?

Just to say Blibblob, what you are suggesting is completely illegal

With Spain in the bad situation it is in with its finances, I resent that you are even thinking this. Come and live in Spain if you want to pay taxes here!

Otherwise you are taking the p*ss out of us all
Old Nov 21st 2012, 12:19 pm
squeaky clean

Location: Spain 4th feb 08 - October 11, now flits batck and forth from sunny Worthing
jojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving to the costa but not working in Spain, can my kids go to state schools?

The only way you could do this and carry on paying your dues in the UK would be to stay in Spain for a maximum of 182 days a year - and they DO check! That way, your husband could claim an income source from you, become a resident and the children could then go to school in Spain. Alternatively, you could start paying tax etc in Spain and become a resident, you'd lose any rights to benefits (inclusding child allowance) in the UK, but you would be able to stay in Spain for more than 6 months a year

Jo xxx
Old Nov 21st 2012, 12:20 pm
¿Dónde estoy?

lynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Blibblob
Hi there, Planning a move with my family in Jan to the costa del sol/Malaga area. Not decided yet but possibly Torrox or Alhaurin el grande/de la torre. I will keep my current job at home so will pay tax here but will be based in Spain. Due to my job/tax situation i have to stay invisible in Spain so cant get a residencia.

Would love if someone could help me out with the following questions i have! Thanks

1. If i don't have a residencia does this mean my daughter cant go to state schools or i cant open a bank account?

3. Could my husband and kids apply for residencia but not me? My husband wouldn't be working so can we show some money in the bank for his resedencia?

4. If he gets residencia could my kids go to state school or do you need to be working in Spain generating tax to avail of state schools?

5. If my kids cant go to State school, how much does private/international cost? It would beprimary school as my daughter is 5years old

6. I have a 2 year old boy so would like to send him to a guarderia/nursery. Does anyone know how much these cost? Ideally we would like a state one as opposed to private but i have no idea how much either cost.

Thanks so much for your help!
yes you have to register as resident to send your children to state school

in fact even if you want to send them to private school you have to register as resident

that's a requirement for anyone who wants to live here for more than 90 days

to do that you have to prove to the govt that you have sufficient income & healthcare provision to support yourself & your family

if you are here more than 182 days out of 365, then you have to submit tax returns
Old Nov 21st 2012, 12:26 pm
¿Dónde estoy?

lynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jojojojojo
The only way you could do this and carry on paying your dues in the UK would be to stay in Spain for a maximum of 182 days a year - and they DO check! That way, your husband could claim an income source from you, become a resident and the children could then go to school in Spain. Alternatively, you could start paying tax etc in Spain and become a resident, you'd lose any rights to benefits (inclusding child allowance) in the UK, but you would be able to stay in Spain for more than 6 months a year

Jo xxx
however................

she would quite probably be considered tax resident here as the 'breadwinner' of a family resident in Spain - even if she wasn't here that many days a year

even if that is the case - it doesn't mean she'd pay any more tax than she already does
Old Nov 21st 2012, 1:14 pm
Just Joined

Thanks for all of the helpful replies! I should have said that my stay in Spain will only be for 3-4 months, so my tax residency will not change. However, while my company in the UK will allow me to work from Spain for a while, they don't want me to be officially resident there in case it has corporation tax implications for the company.

For this reason, I am hoping that it's possible for only my husband to register as a resident for schooling purposes because obviously we can't keep our daughter out of school for 3 months.

Any ideas on costs for primary schools and guarderias? Thanks again.

Last edited by Blibblob; Nov 21st 2012 at 1:16 pm.
Old Nov 21st 2012, 1:39 pm
¿Dónde estoy?

Thanks for all of the helpful replies! I should have said that my stay in Spain will only be for 3-4 months, so my tax residency will not change. However, while my company in the UK will allow me to work from Spain for a while, they don't want me to be officially resident there in case it has corporation tax implications for the company.

For this reason, I am hoping that it's possible for only my husband to register as a resident for schooling purposes because obviously we can't keep our daughter out of school for 3 months.

just bear in mind that everyone who is here for more than 90 days has to register as resident

when are you actually coming though?

if it's in the summer the schools are closed for 3 months.....

also - unless your child is already fluent in Spanish it would IMO be a complete waste of time going to state school - better International school - here's a website http://www.nabss.org/

no idea about guardería costs I'm afraid
Old Nov 21st 2012, 1:43 pm
Just Joined

Sorry, one other thing - if it is not acceptable for a foreign income (mine) to be shown as my husband's source of income, does anyone know how much in assets you need to prove to satisfy the no-burden-to-the-state rules? Thank you again
Old Nov 21st 2012, 1:44 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

cricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond repute

That's pretty confusing, you said you were moving to Spain. Now you are just coming on a long holiday?

You can try the private English speaking schools but your best bet would just to come for the summer holidays. Just seen your latest post. Do you mean that you would go back to the UK to work and leave your husband and children in Spain?
Old Nov 21st 2012, 1:45 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by lynnxa
just bear in mind that everyone who is here for more than 90 days has to register as resident

when are you actually coming though?

if it's in the summer the schools are closed for 3 months.....

also - unless your child is already fluent in Spanish it would IMO be a complete waste of time going to state school - better International school - here's a website http://www.nabss.org/

no idea about guardería costs I'm afraid
I'm coming in late January. Thanks for the link - hadn't seen that one.
Old Nov 21st 2012, 1:47 pm
Forum Regular

MoonBaby is just really niceMoonBaby is just really niceMoonBaby is just really niceMoonBaby is just really niceMoonBaby is just really niceMoonBaby is just really niceMoonBaby is just really niceMoonBaby is just really niceMoonBaby is just really nice

I don't understand what you're trying to do. If it's for 3-4 months, then it's an extended trip rather than 'moving to Spain'. Are you going back to the UK after that? Surely it will be very disruptive to put your kids in a Spanish school for just a few months? If your daughter is 5, I don't think there's an issue with putting her in a Spanish state school - I think it's plenty young enough to pick up the language easily, but you can't really do that for a few months and then uproot her and move back.
Old Nov 21st 2012, 1:50 pm
¿Dónde estoy?

Originally Posted by MoonBaby
I don't understand what you're trying to do. If it's for 3-4 months, then it's an extended trip rather than 'moving to Spain'. Are you going back to the UK after that? Surely it will be very disruptive to put your kids in a Spanish school for just a few months? If your daughter is 5, I don't think there's an issue with putting her in a Spanish state school - I think it's plenty young enough to pick up the language easily, but you can't really do that for a few months and then uproot her and move back.
actually, since it's not compulsory to attend school here until age 6 it's no issue at all as far as Spain is concerned.....

you're right - it's not 'moving to Spain' at all - it's a long holiday, unless the husband & children WILL BE staying here long term while she 'commutes'
Old Nov 21st 2012, 2:23 pm
Just Joined

Our plan is to live and work in Spain for February, March, April, and possibly May. If we like it a lot, we may consider going back for a longer period at a later date, but can't stay there beyond May this time.

Our daughter started school this year and we would like for her to continue it while we are away so that she hasn't fallen behind when we get back home. We would also like her to get as much exposure to the Spanish language as possible (she knows some Spanish already.) Is an private/international school the best way to go?

We would like for only my husband to become resident while we are there. Does anyone know how we can we make this happen? (how much must we show in cash assets? can my income be accepted as support for the family even if I am tax resident overseas?)

We're not trying to "take the p**s" as someone said - we just don't want to be dealing with a mess of a tax situation for the sake of a short stay. We will be bringing foreign money into Spain and spending it there on Spanish groceries, restaurants, tourism, rent, and utilities. I thought this would be seen as a good thing!
Old Nov 21st 2012, 2:29 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Our plan is to live and work in Spain for February, March, April, and possibly May. If we like it a lot, we may consider going back for a longer period at a later date, but can't stay there beyond May this time.

Our daughter started school this year and we would like for her to continue it while we are away so that she hasn't fallen behind when we get back home. We would also like her to get as much exposure to the Spanish language as possible (she knows some Spanish already.) Is an private/international school the best way to go?

We would like for only my husband to become resident while we are there. Does anyone know how we can we make this happen? (how much must we show in cash assets? can my income be accepted as support for the family even if I am tax resident overseas?)

We're not trying to "take the p**s" as someone said - we just don't want to be dealing with a mess of a tax situation for the sake of a short stay. We will be bringing foreign money into Spain and spending it there on Spanish groceries, restaurants, tourism, rent, and utilities. I thought this would be seen as a good thing!
You didnt explain your situation. You will not get a place at a state school or nursery for just a few months unless you deliberately mislead them. So your only choice is a private school/nursery in either English or Spanish, thats up to you.

However, spending money in a country is not an excuse for not paying taxes - if you meet the resident rules. I knew British people in the area you are moving to who regularly used that line
Old Nov 21st 2012, 2:45 pm
¿Dónde estoy?

if you don't want to register as resident you need to make sure you're not here for more than 90 consecutive days

your husband & children can register as resident - you'd need to set up a Spanish bank account & show regular income into it & a reasonable balance - it's still a new ruling, and actual requirements seem to be different in different areas

you will also need to show healthcare provision for all residents

this can be achieved by getting S1 forms from the DWP if you're continuing to pay NI there - ring them & explain what you are doing & they will advise you - or you can get private healthcare insurance

as far as schools are concerened - IMO the best option really would be private International school - some are bilingual & many have lots of Spanish children attending them, so there would be exposure to the language

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.