Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Moving to Colmenar/Riogordo

Moving to Colmenar/Riogordo

Old Jun 18th 2018, 11:17 am
Just Joined

snoopstock is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Moving to Colmenar/Riogordo

As a family with an 8 year old we are looking into moving to the Colmenar/Riogordo area. Anyone out there that can give any advice please? Particularly schooling and a recommended Spanish language tutor.
I welcome any responses. :-)
Old Jun 20th 2018, 8:07 am
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving to Colmenar/Riogordo

Originally Posted by snoopstock
As a family with an 8 year old we are looking into moving to the Colmenar/Riogordo area. Anyone out there that can give any advice please? Particularly schooling and a recommended Spanish language tutor.
I welcome any responses. :-)
Hi, your child will have plenty of time to pick up the language, make friends and get used to the different Education System in a Spanish State Primary School before going up to Secondary School. At that age, he/she'll be like a sponge and speak Spanish quickly (with classmates and neighbours at an 8 year old's level). You may need to find a tutor to explain the Grammar which his/her peers have already learnt, if the teacher advises this. The school may even provide special classes to help foreign children with the language....
If the tutor is for you, that's a different matter and some one in the area will come along to advise!
HTH!
Old Jun 20th 2018, 8:26 am
Just Joined

Thank you for your reply
​​​​​​
My concern is that he'll struggle with schooling to begin with but if schools are quite adaptable that eases my worries a little.

We are going for a visit in the next few weeks so am hoping to find out a bit more whilst there.
The move is happening so myself and my son will have to learn pretty quick! 🤣
Old Jun 20th 2018, 10:46 am
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by snoopstock
Thank you for your reply
​​​​​​
My concern is that he'll struggle with schooling to begin with but if schools are quite adaptable that eases my worries a little.

We are going for a visit in the next few weeks so am hoping to find out a bit more whilst there.
The move is happening so myself and my son will have to learn pretty quick! 🤣
I actually live in France, where, from experience, Primary schools aren't rigid at all. Teachers are in fact used to less bright French pupils needing extra tuition in reading/writing/Grammar before they go up. If you're worried, your son could start the year below and jump a year later on if he picks up quickly. In France, at least, it's the mastery of the language (and arithmetic) which takes priority in Primary School.
Some one local will come along with advice on Spanish schooling, I'm just butting in from the France forum, as it's an issue in any non-English-speaking country!
Old Jun 20th 2018, 10:53 am
Just Joined

Thanks dmu, I'm glad you 'butted' in, that's very useful information.
Many thanks