Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Moving To Barcelona in the New Year - Advice desperately needed.

Moving To Barcelona in the New Year - Advice desperately needed.

Old Nov 27th 2008, 8:31 am
jimilgen

Post Moving To Barcelona in the New Year - Advice desperately needed.

its finally happened, i've had enough of the UK and am moving the barcelona in january.

its all a little daunting as i dont speak the language or know anybody out there.

if anyone has done the same thing, what advice can you give me (if any... )

the thing thats worrying the most is the work/job thing as ive had a look for english speaking jobs and all i can find is telesales for which you need 2 years experience, and which i dont have...

any help/advice/info is much appreciated!!

Old Nov 27th 2008, 8:39 am
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving To Barcelona in the New Year - Advice desperately needed.

Originally Posted by jimilgen
its finally happened, i've had enough of the UK and am moving the barcelona in january.

its all a little daunting as i dont speak the language or know anybody out there.

the thing thats worrying the most is the work/job thing as ive had a look for english speaking jobs and all i can find is telesales for which you need 2 years experience, and which i dont have...

Hi

Welcome to the forum

So .......... to recap, you are moving to a country which is experiencing a current downturn like everywhere else, with rising unemployment, and you dont speak the language.

What you must remember is that every country has its own set of challenges and problems. Spain is no different. If you come here with no job and no Spanish language then come here with at least enough cash to keep you going for 12 months, as you will probably need it. Rents are expensive relatively in Barcelona, and there are a lot of Spaniards looking for jobs.

Dont leave the UK and come here for the wrong reasons, is all I'm saying.

Good luck
Old Nov 27th 2008, 8:46 am
BE Forum Addict

valenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mitzyboy
Hi

Welcome to the forum

So .......... to recap, you are moving to a country which is experiencing a current downturn like everywhere else, with rising unemployment, and you dont speak the language.

What you must remember is that every country has its own set of challenges and problems. Spain is no different. If you come here with no job and no Spanish language then come here with at least enough cash to keep you going for 12 months, as you will probably need it. Rents are expensive relatively in Barcelona, and there are a lot of Spaniards looking for jobs.

Dont leave the UK and come here for the wrong reasons, is all I'm saying.

Good luck
I agree with Mitzyboy! Also, why Barcelona?
Old Nov 27th 2008, 12:08 pm
Dxf
BE Forum Addict

Dxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

I will disagree; Mitzyboy has not put it strong enough. For *** sake, DON'T DO IT. You are risking everything for a non existant dream. There are not enough jobs for the Spanish (who will employ their own first). There is no benefit system that will house you free of charge and pay your bills. Instead of unemployment pay, they will laugh and send you back. You may not have a "cushy" life in England, but all you will do is to spend everything you have to discover your timing was appalling.

Sorry but that is the truth. When the upturn happens, then they might be some slack, but wait please wait.

(Honest) Davexf

Last edited by Dxf; Nov 27th 2008 at 12:11 pm.
Old Nov 27th 2008, 12:49 pm
ĀæDĆ³nde estoy?

lynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dxf
Hi

I will disagree; Mitzyboy has not put it strong enough. For *** sake, DON'T DO IT. You are risking everything for a non existant dream. There are not enough jobs for the Spanish (who will employ their own first). There is no benefit system that will house you free of charge and pay your bills. Instead of unemployment pay, they will laugh and send you back. You may not have a "cushy" life in England, but all you will do is to spend everything you have to discover your timing was appalling.

Sorry but that is the truth. When the upturn happens, then they might be some slack, but wait please wait.

(Honest) Davexf

He's right, don't do it - not now in the recession

wait until things have improved - & maybe get the 2 years telesales experience you 'need'
Old Nov 27th 2008, 6:25 pm
Not Banned (yet)

steviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lynnxa
He's right, don't do it - not now in the recession

wait until things have improved - & maybe get the 2 years telesales experience you 'need'
Unless you're an English teacher, in which case there are jobs (although Madrid would be better).
I've heard of folk getting IT jobs in Barcelona (again Madrid is a better location), but they already spoke some Spanish.
Start looking now on infojobs.net and monster.es using 'ingles' as a search word.
Oh, and Irish pubs in the big cities used to be good places to get work (pay not brilliant mind). May have changed now in the recession.

What kind of work have you got experience in?
Old Nov 27th 2008, 6:33 pm
Forum Regular

Sarleon has a brilliant futureSarleon has a brilliant futureSarleon has a brilliant futureSarleon has a brilliant futureSarleon has a brilliant futureSarleon has a brilliant futureSarleon has a brilliant futureSarleon has a brilliant future

I live in Barcelona...

I tend to agree with the other posts, but if you are dead set on coming then moving to Barcelona or to Madrid are the best options when it comes to work.

If you can't at least speak Spanish and a bit of Catalan - they probably wont employ you though.

The only hope you have got with only one language is teaching english (like me) but without a qulaification and little experience, you won't find work as there are too many expereinced and qualified teacher's here.

Barcelona looks like a fantastic city - and it is to visit, but not to live in.

Here's the situation...

Accommodation is miserable, often without central heating, or decent windows (if your lucky enough to have street facing ones!) flats in the centre have dirty, extremely old staircases and no lifts. Everyone lives in high rise flats, there are no houses. The rents are extremely expensive, with you will need to pay at least 3000 Euros just to move into a 50 m damp studio flat. Flats are often only on the market for a few hours and rent super quick - its horrible!

Earnings - expect to earn around 1,000 Euros per month for approx for a full time job and around 60 hours week. The Spanish working day is 8.30am - 1.30pm lunch and then 3pm - 8pm - it is not for the faint hearted. The Catalan's are serious hard workers, and judge people by how hard they work.

The cost of living is ridiculous here - comparable to London. So unless you have a way of boosting your earnings - you will struggle on 1,000 Euros a month.

Cars - don't have one. There is nowhere to park it in the city.
Old Nov 27th 2008, 6:36 pm
Forum Regular

Sarleon has a brilliant futureSarleon has a brilliant futureSarleon has a brilliant futureSarleon has a brilliant futureSarleon has a brilliant futureSarleon has a brilliant futureSarleon has a brilliant futureSarleon has a brilliant future

Oh - i forgot to say that the locals attitude to anyone who is not from Catalunya takes a bit of getting used to. This is a city with a massive immigration problem. They don't like outsiders!
Old Nov 27th 2008, 6:43 pm
Not Banned (yet)

steviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sarleon
I live in Barcelona...

I tend to agree with the other posts, but if you are dead set on coming then moving to Barcelona or to Madrid are the best options when it comes to work.

If you can't at least speak Spanish and a bit of Catalan - they probably wont employ you though.

The only hope you have got with only one language is teaching english (like me) but without a qulaification and little experience, you won't find work as there are too many expereinced and qualified teacher's here.

Barcelona looks like a fantastic city - and it is to visit, but not to live in.

Here's the situation...

Accommodation is miserable, often without central heating, or decent windows (if your lucky enough to have street facing ones!) flats in the centre have dirty, extremely old staircases and no lifts. Everyone lives in high rise flats, there are no houses. The rents are extremely expensive, with you will need to pay at least 3000 Euros just to move into a 50 m damp studio flat. Flats are often only on the market for a few hours and rent super quick - its horrible!

Earnings - expect to earn around 1,000 Euros per month for approx for a full time job and around 60 hours week. The Spanish working day is 8.30am - 1.30pm lunch and then 3pm - 8pm - it is not for the faint hearted. The Catalan's are serious hard workers, and judge people by how hard they work.

The cost of living is ridiculous here - comparable to London. So unless you have a way of boosting your earnings - you will struggle on 1,000 Euros a month.

Cars - don't have one. There is nowhere to park it in the city.
Probably the best summary of Barcelona I've read!
Most people I know who've stayed in both Barcelona and Madrid will tell you, Barcelona is great for a holiday, not so good to work (although many do head there). In fact its coastal lure is probably what makes it a little more difficult to get English-teaching work there - there's just too much competition.
One small thing though - in places like Madrid and Barcelona you don't really need a car as public transport is so good and (relatively) cheap compared to London. Although most people I know in London don't bother with a car either.
Old Nov 27th 2008, 7:08 pm
Dxf
BE Forum Addict

Dxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

Can I simply thank all previous posters - I normally come in for a lot of stick when I put my honest view forward. I will defend myself, but in this case, a lot of common sense has prevailed.

Davexf
Old Nov 27th 2008, 7:48 pm
jjh
BE Enthusiast

jjh has a reputation beyond reputejjh has a reputation beyond reputejjh has a reputation beyond reputejjh has a reputation beyond reputejjh has a reputation beyond reputejjh has a reputation beyond reputejjh has a reputation beyond reputejjh has a reputation beyond reputejjh has a reputation beyond reputejjh has a reputation beyond reputejjh has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dxf
Hi

Can I simply thank all previous posters - I normally come in for a lot of stick when I put my honest view forward. I will defend myself, but in this case, a lot of common sense has prevailed.

Davexf
Not with my you donĀ“t.

LOL JJxx
Old Nov 27th 2008, 11:30 pm
BE Enthusiast

SaritaBarcelona is a glorious beacon of lightSaritaBarcelona is a glorious beacon of lightSaritaBarcelona is a glorious beacon of lightSaritaBarcelona is a glorious beacon of lightSaritaBarcelona is a glorious beacon of lightSaritaBarcelona is a glorious beacon of lightSaritaBarcelona is a glorious beacon of lightSaritaBarcelona is a glorious beacon of lightSaritaBarcelona is a glorious beacon of lightSaritaBarcelona is a glorious beacon of lightSaritaBarcelona is a glorious beacon of light

Just to say that flats in Barcelona don't move as fast as they used to when I moved here 6 years ago, the prices put people off! I think 3000 euros a month is on the whole a bit of an exaggeration if you don't mind me saying so. My friends have a lovely 3 bedroom place in the Eixample for 1500 euros a month, which is in the middle price bracket. But yes, it's crazy. We are leaving Barcelona for this reason (amongst many) as we want to buy a place and have a young son. Currently toying with the Malaga area (my work is internet based and my hubby installs aircon so we should be ok workwise)
Old Nov 28th 2008, 4:16 pm
Forum Regular

3000 euros was the typical total deposit needed, on a 750E p/mth 50m studio flat....
Old Nov 28th 2008, 4:20 pm
BE Enthusiast

SaritaBarcelona is a glorious beacon of lightSaritaBarcelona is a glorious beacon of lightSaritaBarcelona is a glorious beacon of lightSaritaBarcelona is a glorious beacon of lightSaritaBarcelona is a glorious beacon of lightSaritaBarcelona is a glorious beacon of lightSaritaBarcelona is a glorious beacon of lightSaritaBarcelona is a glorious beacon of lightSaritaBarcelona is a glorious beacon of lightSaritaBarcelona is a glorious beacon of lightSaritaBarcelona is a glorious beacon of light

Doh, have just read back, I thought you meant per month! Not concentrating! We have, in the past, had an 8000 euro "aval" (bank guarantee) to rent a wonderful flat that we just could not turn down. We did get it back at least, unlike some....
Old Dec 7th 2008, 10:45 pm
Just Joined

wispa23 is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Re: Moving To Barcelona in the New Year - Advice desperately needed.

Originally Posted by jimilgen

Hi - I saw your post and thought I'd let you know what I know!! ;-)

I'm in Barcelona to study, been here 3 months so far and the site which has been my lifesaver is http://www.loquo.com

I also work for www.talentsearchpeople.com and they look for English speaking people (native speakers) for jobs here in barca which ranges from low skill to top executives.

I paid 750 euros for my studio house in Sants, but on the Loquo website you will find plenty of housing options available ..... NEVER GIVE MONEY OUT TO HOUSING AGENCIES AND ALWAYS HAVE A CONTRACT FOR YOUR HOUSE!!

Good Luck with your move!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.