Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Moving back to the UK, your thoughts.

Moving back to the UK, your thoughts.

Old Jan 11th 2010, 7:11 am
Banned

chulo has much to be proud ofchulo has much to be proud ofchulo has much to be proud ofchulo has much to be proud ofchulo has much to be proud ofchulo has much to be proud ofchulo has much to be proud ofchulo has much to be proud ofchulo has much to be proud ofchulo has much to be proud ofchulo has much to be proud of
Default Re: Moving back to the UK, your thoughts.

If you compare who leaves and who arrives, should give you some indication of how people view the UK compared to other countries.
Old Jan 11th 2010, 7:25 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

cricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chulo
If you compare who leaves and who arrives, should give you some indication of how people view the UK compared to other countries.
Here you go then...

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/ukne...rt-the-UK.html

According to the telegraph, Brits want to leave the UK and people from ex-commonwealth countries want to arrive

If I remember my figures correctly, I believe the Ukraine has the highest rate of immigration to the country, followed by Spain (in Europe)

btw, I am talking about 2007, I can't even imagine what the figures would look like now, post-crisis
Old Jan 11th 2010, 1:56 pm
BE Enthusiast

spainboy has much to be proud ofspainboy has much to be proud ofspainboy has much to be proud ofspainboy has much to be proud ofspainboy has much to be proud ofspainboy has much to be proud ofspainboy has much to be proud ofspainboy has much to be proud ofspainboy has much to be proud ofspainboy has much to be proud ofspainboy has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Karolina
In response to the original thread, i have to say it sounds like returning to the UK isn't such a bad idea!

i came to australia almost a year ago on a working holiday visa hoping t find sponsorship so i could stay here forever. now me and my oh are probably gonna come back to england next christmas. and i don't think the uk is as bad as i thought it was. i'm looking forward to being able to stay with friends or family till we sort jobs out, which is gonna be a doddle after looking for work over here, what with visa restrictions and all! if your bro can sort you out with a job too that'd be perfect. good luck with whatever you decide but cancel the sky if you're struggling for cash!
Thankyou. This decision is really hard for me. I have pro's and cons for Spain and the same for the uk. I do have a job here although the pay isnt fantastic and as ive split with the ex it's more difficult. I just wish I could have something 100% solid in the uk but people have said I will find work somehow.
Old Jan 11th 2010, 2:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

Rotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cricketman
Here you go then...

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/ukne...rt-the-UK.html

According to the telegraph, Brits want to leave the UK and people from ex-commonwealth countries want to arrive
If I remember my figures correctly, I believe the Ukraine has the highest rate of immigration to the country, followed by Spain (in Europe)

btw, I am talking about 2007, I can't even imagine what the figures would look like now, post-crisis
I`d gladly swop my UK passport with an Aussie!!
Old Jan 11th 2010, 3:22 pm
Banned

chulo has much to be proud ofchulo has much to be proud ofchulo has much to be proud ofchulo has much to be proud ofchulo has much to be proud ofchulo has much to be proud ofchulo has much to be proud ofchulo has much to be proud ofchulo has much to be proud ofchulo has much to be proud ofchulo has much to be proud of

"Last year, 207,000 British citizens - one every three minutes - left the country while 510,000 foreigners arrived to stay for a year or more."

Says a lot too me.
Old Jan 11th 2010, 3:34 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

agoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spainboy
I do have a job here although the pay isnt fantastic
And in these times, you're already doing better than quite a lot, both here and in Spain. TBH, unless I was assured of a job, and one that was going to leave me better off financially, I would not even consider moving anywhere at the moment. Unless you have a special skill, something that's going to guarantee you a job (if there is such a thing!) it could well be out of the frying pan into the fire!
Old Jan 11th 2010, 3:34 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

cricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond repute

"Last year, 207,000 British citizens - one every three minutes - left the country while 510,000 foreigners arrived to stay for a year or more."

Says a lot too me.
Yes I know of those figures. The interesting thing to me is that the 200.000 Brits every year go to Spain, France and Australia.

While the 500,000 foreigners that go to the UK come from Asia and Africa.

It is a huge demographic shift.

btw, Spain has had 3 million immigrants in the past 10 years. The legally recognised immigrant population in Spain is now 10%, about the same as that of the UKs
Old Jan 11th 2010, 3:44 pm
BE Enthusiast

spainboy has much to be proud ofspainboy has much to be proud ofspainboy has much to be proud ofspainboy has much to be proud ofspainboy has much to be proud ofspainboy has much to be proud ofspainboy has much to be proud ofspainboy has much to be proud ofspainboy has much to be proud ofspainboy has much to be proud ofspainboy has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by agoreira
And in these times, you're already doing better than quite a lot, both here and in Spain. TBH, unless I was assured of a job, and one that was going to leave me better off financially, I would not even consider moving anywhere at the moment. Unless you have a special skill, something that's going to guarantee you a job (if there is such a thing!) it could well be out of the frying pan into the fire!
Yes and No. I think that maybe a slightly negative comment. Although im not saying it isn't easy to find work you can find work. Yes a trade helps and to be honest one thing ive put money aside for is to do my LGV course. I know a couple that went back 3 months ago and he found LGV work and she found a job within 4 weeks. Both of them are in their 50s.
I have to keep an open mind, a determained one that says I will get a job. Ok maybe a rubbish job at first but I was never expecting to start on a 30,000 a year job straight away.
Im trying to think in the way that there are more opportunities to further and better yourself in the uk as opposed to Spain where I dont speak fluent spanish, only just conversational

Im trying to look at things in the long run. It could be easy to stay here but I will just be doing pretty much the same thing. I guess sometimes I have to bite the bullet, perhaps!!!

Last edited by spainboy; Jan 11th 2010 at 3:50 pm.
Old Jan 11th 2010, 3:57 pm
Banned

Yes I know of those figures.
I should hope so, there in the first few paragraphs of the link you provided.
Old Jan 11th 2010, 4:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

paintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond repute

Says a lot too me.
Difficult for many to leave the UK and too easy for the others to get into.

No stats here just a hunch.
Old Jan 11th 2010, 6:52 pm

manamama is a glorious beacon of lightmanamama is a glorious beacon of lightmanamama is a glorious beacon of lightmanamama is a glorious beacon of lightmanamama is a glorious beacon of lightmanamama is a glorious beacon of lightmanamama is a glorious beacon of lightmanamama is a glorious beacon of lightmanamama is a glorious beacon of lightmanamama is a glorious beacon of lightmanamama is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by spainboy
Yes and No. I think that maybe a slightly negative comment. Although im not saying it isn't easy to find work you can find work. Yes a trade helps and to be honest one thing ive put money aside for is to do my LGV course. I know a couple that went back 3 months ago and he found LGV work and she found a job within 4 weeks. Both of them are in their 50s.
I have to keep an open mind, a determained one that says I will get a job. Ok maybe a rubbish job at first but I was never expecting to start on a 30,000 a year job straight away.
Im trying to think in the way that there are more opportunities to further and better yourself in the uk as opposed to Spain where I dont speak fluent spanish, only just conversational

Im trying to look at things in the long run. It could be easy to stay here but I will just be doing pretty much the same thing. I guess sometimes I have to bite the bullet, perhaps!!!
I agree - do it while you're young. Any later and you could find it alot more difficult to find a job as age will be against you.

We have a similar situation, later in the year we are off back to the UK mainly because of finances...a decision we have to take but I know in the long run we will be better off financially at least. Scary eh? We are sure going to miss it !
Old Jan 11th 2010, 7:21 pm
Yaaarp

Madridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond repute

Yes I know of those figures. The interesting thing to me is that the 200.000 Brits every year go to Spain, France and Australia.

While the 500,000 foreigners that go to the UK come from Asia and Africa.

It is a huge demographic shift.

btw, Spain has had 3 million immigrants in the past 10 years. The legally recognised immigrant population in Spain is now 10%, about the same as that of the UKs
You forgot to mention the Polish

Originally Posted by paintermujer
Difficult for many to leave the UK and too easy for the others to get into.

No stats here just a hunch.
Agreed.
Old Jan 12th 2010, 5:50 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Madridboy
You forgot to mention the Polish

Agreed.
Yes, but the Polish are in the UK temporarily, many have already gone back
Old Mar 1st 2010, 6:18 pm
Just Joined

phyllis is an unknown quantity at this point

you have a job here, you have a life here, and have done for 12 years, I live here too and have done for 6 years, and have a job, there is no way I would go back to the UK, just think about it, I absolutely hated it when I lived in the UK, and I was fortunate to have a business which paid me very well, but, I would not swap my life now, with the little money I earn for the life I had in the UK, and I'm 50, you're a spring chicken!!! please think about it.
Old Mar 1st 2010, 7:15 pm
Popping in for a chat

Lionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond repute

We are so glad to be back in England. Our daughter and son in law have also come home, he's been in Spain 13 years and is happier here. It was a good experience moving to Spain but that is all it was - an experience.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.