Reload this Page >

moving from australia to spain

moving from australia to spain

Old Sep 26th 2009, 10:38 am
Just Joined

BarbaraBigg is an unknown quantity at this point
Default moving from australia to spain

Hi,
My husband and I are considering moving back to Europe. We have lived in Australia for nearly 10 years. We would like any information regarding the costa de la luz. Please, please, anyone with any information or advice, contact is most welcomed.
Many thanks
Barbara
Old Sep 26th 2009, 11:18 am
Banned

John and Lynn has much to be proud ofJohn and Lynn has much to be proud ofJohn and Lynn has much to be proud ofJohn and Lynn has much to be proud ofJohn and Lynn has much to be proud ofJohn and Lynn has much to be proud ofJohn and Lynn has much to be proud ofJohn and Lynn has much to be proud ofJohn and Lynn has much to be proud ofJohn and Lynn has much to be proud ofJohn and Lynn has much to be proud of
Default Re: moving from australia to spain

Am I having a spot of Deja Vu, sure I saw this thread somewhere else
Old Sep 26th 2009, 1:26 pm
Just Joined

Hi John & Lyn,
I did put a post on the Ayamonte Club thread, but decided to make a new post too.
Thanks
Barbara
Old Sep 26th 2009, 5:15 pm
Just Joined

Lush is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by BarbaraBigg
Hi,
My husband and I are considering moving back to Europe. We have lived in Australia for nearly 10 years. We would like any information regarding the costa de la luz. Please, please, anyone with any information or advice, contact is most welcomed.
Many thanks
Barbara
Barbara I have never posted on this Forum before but read it on a regular basis, however, on this occasion I could not help myself respond to your request when reading what some of the comments have been.

The Costa de la Luz is a beautiful part of Spain and I am extremely fortunate to have a holiday home on Costa Esuri, in fact I have just returned from spending a month there and only returned to the UK for personal reasons. If you are looking for a relaxing way of life then you could not choose a more chilled destination with a wonderful climate. The town of Ayamonte is typically Spanish with narrow streets, lots of shops and an abundance of restaurants and we fall more in love with it every time we visit.

Additionally, there are many cities, towns and villages that are within easy distance with Portugal 1k over the river so you can enjoy two cultures on a regular basis. There are many beautiful beaches nearby both in Spain and Portugal, none of them overcrowded except in August when both the Spainish and Portugese take their holidays.

I cannot advise on living costs as we use our home for holidays but I am sure someone who is fortunate to live there could advise you on a general basis for regular food shopping and utilities. When we visit we eat in a lot and buy more local foods rather than try and create 'Little Britain' but when we do go out to eat we try to frequent restaurants that the locals visit as these are less expensive than the tourist areas.

This is my opinion and I do not look at this area with Rose Coloured Glasses, there are issues that need to be addressed and whilst I would like to have seen the development progress at the rate that it should have the Credit Crunch got in the way. However, what has been achieved within 3 years is amazing and when the economy picks up and the exchange rate levels out this area will improve dramatically.

Sadly, there are people the world over who are negative and moan continuously and there are some numpties around the area but we choose not to associate with them and have been extremely fortunate to have meet kind, considerate and happy people who we are proud to call friends.

If you are serious about this area then I agree with the posts advising you to rent so that you can then choose if this is the right area for your needs. We are on a countdown to when Hubby retires so that we can move there permanately as we believe that we have found our own little piece of paradise within Spain.

Good luck.
Old Sep 26th 2009, 11:37 pm
Just Joined

Hi John & Lyn

Thank you so much for your reply.
It's really nice to hear such positive comments from you.
It has given me a bit more confidence -

I have read so many mixed things about the Costas in Spain (Not Costa De La Luz), it has concerned me.

Are there any problems with land grabbing or with demolition of peoples property along the Costa De La Luz?

All the photos and videos I have seen look really nice - and I like the fact that it doesn't look like the rest of the world and his dog has descended on it.

My husband is 63 and I am 54 - we wont be looking for work, but a couple of part -time jobs would be nice, if possible, but not imperative.

My husband likes golf - I like Bridge/language study/relaxing
This sounds like a place we can meet our needs?

Do you know much about the rest of the coast? Can you give us some idea of the places you think we should avoid investigating?

Once again, thank you
Barbara
Old Sep 27th 2009, 5:55 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: moving from australia to spain

Hi John & Lyn

Thank you so much for your reply.
It's really nice to hear such positive comments from you.
It has given me a bit more confidence -

I have read so many mixed things about the Costas in Spain (Not Costa De La Luz), it has concerned me.

Are there any problems with land grabbing or with demolition of peoples property along the Costa De La Luz?

All the photos and videos I have seen look really nice - and I like the fact that it doesn't look like the rest of the world and his dog has descended on it.

My husband is 63 and I am 54 - we wont be looking for work, but a couple of part -time jobs would be nice, if possible, but not imperative.

My husband likes golf - I like Bridge/language study/relaxing
This sounds like a place we can meet our needs?

Do you know much about the rest of the coast? Can you give us some idea of the places you think we should avoid investigating?

Once again, thank you
Barbara
the costa del la luz is a right angle piece of coast running west / east from portugal to punta umbria and then south to gibralter. i have not heard of problems up here in the north but there are well recorded problems with illegal properties in the south round Chiclana. so be very very careful. rent first for at least 6 months and then look around prices will not vary much for a few years so ther will be no rush.
Old Sep 29th 2009, 6:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

MikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond repute

Barbara
We are holiday owners at the moment and therefore won't comment on the cost of living as residents have already. Actually I have a sister who lives in Sydney!
But I would echo word for word Lush's post above. We fall more in love with the place every time we visit - and we are planning to semi-retire there in due course.
A little history - Ayamonte lies on the border with Portugal and until a bridge - funded by the EU - was built in 1991 the only way to travel along the coast was across a very small ferry to Vila Real de Santo Antonio (VRSA). So Ayamonte was on the road to nowhere and was a bit of a backwater enjoyed by knowledgeable Madridlanos and Sevillanos for their holidays. It was not part of the mega developments that were seen at most of the Mediterranean costas. When the bridge came - and the developers statred to show interest - the Anduluciian junta had learned the lessons from the other costas and have been very strict about imposing planning laws with a result that there is very little to worry about like some of the other costas.

The one big fly in the ointment has been probably entirely caused by the downturn in the global property markets associated with the credit crunch and felt more in Spain than elsewhere. One of the biggest developers - Fadesa - which have been responsible for the the Costa Esuri urbanisation on the northern outskirts of Ayamonte - got into financial difficulties and went into administration. They are currently trading through the administration but it does mean that development on Costa Esuri has stalled (and some small investors seem to have lost their deposits - which generates some adverse comments). On the up side - if you were to decide to buy (after your acclimatisation) you could probably get a real bargain from someone desperate to cut their losses. You could even get a plot and build your own!
Old Sep 29th 2009, 11:51 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by MikeJ
Barbara
We are holiday owners at the moment and therefore won't comment on the cost of living as residents have already. Actually I have a sister who lives in Sydney!
But I would echo word for word Lush's post above. We fall more in love with the place every time we visit - and we are planning to semi-retire there in due course.
A little history - Ayamonte lies on the border with Portugal and until a bridge - funded by the EU - was built in 1991 the only way to travel along the coast was across a very small ferry to Vila Real de Santo Antonio (VRSA). So Ayamonte was on the road to nowhere and was a bit of a backwater enjoyed by knowledgeable Madridlanos and Sevillanos for their holidays. It was not part of the mega developments that were seen at most of the Mediterranean costas. When the bridge came - and the developers statred to show interest - the Anduluciian junta had learned the lessons from the other costas and have been very strict about imposing planning laws with a result that there is very little to worry about like some of the other costas.

The one big fly in the ointment has been probably entirely caused by the downturn in the global property markets associated with the credit crunch and felt more in Spain than elsewhere. One of the biggest developers - Fadesa - which have been responsible for the the Costa Esuri urbanisation on the northern outskirts of Ayamonte - got into financial difficulties and went into administration. They are currently trading through the administration but it does mean that development on Costa Esuri has stalled (and some small investors seem to have lost their deposits - which generates some adverse comments). On the up side - if you were to decide to buy (after your acclimatisation) you could probably get a real bargain from someone desperate to cut their losses. You could even get a plot and build your own!
Hi Mike,
Thanks for your mail - I found it quite ressuring, We are selling our house in Oz - keeping our fingers crossed! We feel it is time to move back to Europe, to be nearer friends. We have no idea how long it will take us to sell. It is quite reassuring to hear that you fall in love with it more each time you go!
I have read articles on spain that are saying there is no need to panic about purchasing property, as the crunch there is not over yet, and will continue for quite some time, so I feel that we may have time to still manage to purchase something (after renting) at sensible prices. Please keep the communication going - it's great for us to gain knowledge!
Best wishes,
Barbara
Old Oct 30th 2009, 10:08 am
BE Enthusiast

Sharon B is a glorious beacon of lightSharon B is a glorious beacon of lightSharon B is a glorious beacon of lightSharon B is a glorious beacon of lightSharon B is a glorious beacon of lightSharon B is a glorious beacon of lightSharon B is a glorious beacon of lightSharon B is a glorious beacon of lightSharon B is a glorious beacon of lightSharon B is a glorious beacon of lightSharon B is a glorious beacon of light

Barbara, keep us updated on your plans.
Old Jan 6th 2010, 7:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

angiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs up Re: moving from australia to spain

Hi Mike,
Thanks for your mail - I found it quite ressuring, We are selling our house in Oz - keeping our fingers crossed! We feel it is time to move back to Europe, to be nearer friends. We have no idea how long it will take us to sell. It is quite reassuring to hear that you fall in love with it more each time you go!
I have read articles on spain that are saying there is no need to panic about purchasing property, as the crunch there is not over yet, and will continue for quite some time, so I feel that we may have time to still manage to purchase something (after renting) at sensible prices. Please keep the communication going - it's great for us to gain knowledge!
Best wishes,
Barbara
Hi Barbera. My husband and I are inland from the Costa de la Luz. But we still live in Huelva province. I recommend it. It's not your average 'Brits abroad' area. The seas are cooler but cleaner, emptier and longer than on the med. The Spanish culture has pretty much remained unadulterated by the immigrants but they are very welcoming (muy acogedores)...if you make just a little effort. But if you want things to be as easy as pie...better go somewhere else! The more Authentically Spanish a place. The more you have to make an effort to get with it.
As for building your own house. We're doing just that, but it's difficult!
Old Jan 8th 2010, 7:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

paintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by angiescarr
But if you want things to be as easy as pie...better go somewhere else!
Any suggestions as to where that would be?
Old Jan 9th 2010, 11:21 am
BE Forum Addict

angiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by paintermujer
Any suggestions as to where that would be?
Yes. You can go to any of the 'Brits abroad' areas, any of the Golf complexes, any of the big urbanisaciones that have been set up specifically for expats. They are mostly Marbella or east of ... all the way round to Barcelona. They are more 'mature' so everything you need is 'at hand'. Shops, services etc. Will cost you a bit more because everything is available for you.
The Costa de la Luz developments are a bit 'younger, so the expat infrastructure is a bit more delayed. Because of that the CDLL residents are more likely (though not exclusively) to be a bit more adventurous. Maybe more likely to be prepared to learn the language and put in a bit of effort.
That's my opinion but I'm prepared to be challenged on it;-)