Moving to Alicate

Moving to Alicate

Old Sep 16th 2013, 6:53 pm
Just Joined

Jay69 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Moving to Alicate

Hi I'm looking to relocate to Alicante area within the next 12 months
I will how ever make a few visits first to find the right area for me
My question to the Brits already living out there..Is what's the work situation out there and what if any service is lacking that I might be able to invest in

Many thanks in advance.
Old Sep 16th 2013, 7:48 pm

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving to Alicate

As Concierge for the Spanish section of BE I would like to say hello and welcome.

BE is a very large expat website, so if you have problems finding your way around we have concierges who will try to direct you. The moderators for the Spanish forums are Mitzyboy and Fred James, moderators are there to ensure that the site runs smoothly within the rules of BE. Problems and complaints should always be addressed to a moderador who will look into the matter and deal with it efficiently and fairly. Our members who post in the Spain Forums are friendly and helpful with a wealth of knowledge of the issues of living in Spain. At the top of the page you will find a quirkily named thread called Free Beer which is full of important and useful information. Hope you enjoy your time participating in the forums.

Unemployment is extremely high throughout Spain so the chance of gaining work is very low.

Please let me know if you need any further help.

Rosemary
Old Sep 16th 2013, 10:11 pm
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jay69
Hi I'm looking to relocate to Alicante area within the next 12 months
I will how ever make a few visits first to find the right area for me
My question to the Brits already living out there..Is what's the work situation out there and what if any service is lacking that I might be able to invest in

Many thanks in advance.
Work situation is in one word. DIRE. and if you are not a fluent Spanish speaker then it's even worse. There are really no services lacking that locals will not do for less than you could. Bars and restaurants open and close faster than paperback books. Unless you have a shed load of money to move over with and to last you fro at least 12 months while you try and find your feet, and have enough to get back to the UK if, as is quite likely, it all goes belly up. You must realise there is no benefit system in Spain, to get into the Spanish health care system you would have to find a job with a legal contract (difficult as a huge number of people work 'on the black') or pay the monthly self employed tax, which you would have to pay whether or not you acftually did any work, or pay fro private medical insurance. Some things are cheaper in Spain, but are catching up with UK prices, utility costs are much higher, water, electricity, gas is almost all bottled, very few places outside the majot cities have piped gas. Phone and internet are much higher cost, and, unless you lice in Madrid or Barcelona, the download speeds are pedestrian, many people happy to get a speed of 5mbps, and in many places not even 2mbps..
Old Sep 17th 2013, 11:13 am
Just Joined

Jay69 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for the above responses, all opinions and tips help. I'm a 44 year old single lad so my needs are minimal.Even though I am a kitchen fitter, I know construction over there is dire, but it will improve and grow over next few years just as it is in the UK. There are markets all over where I could forge a living that way too and for the first 12 months I would rent and find my feet that way
I know employments high and no benefit system over there, hence why the UK is over flowing with immigrants.
Spain has always been a dream for me, but I am a realist and feel I have to try it if it doesn't work out then I will return to the UK.... thanks for your advice and tips
Old Sep 17th 2013, 11:36 am
Started off with nothing

missile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond repute

Go for it, better to try and fail than look back and wonder what if?

The opportunities are few but do not be disheartened. I have a friend who makes a living fitting kitchens for ex pats. He has lived here for years, but only speaks pigeon Spanish. No he is not recruiting.