Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Moving to Alicante Area - Help Please.

Moving to Alicante Area - Help Please.

Old Apr 11th 2010, 2:32 am
Just Joined

The Campbells is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Moving to Alicante Area - Help Please.

We are seriously thinking about moving to the Alicante area and would really appreciate some assistance deciding where to stay.

I have a young family (3 year old twins) so schooling is a big issue for us, I would like to send our kids to a British school.

I work away from home for a month at a time so my wife and kids would be left on their own, so would like to stay in an area with an expat community, preferrably a secure residential complex.

Can anyone offer some advice on areas / developments around Alicante that would suit these needs? Thanks in advance for any information provided.
Old Apr 11th 2010, 6:25 am
Forum Regular

carter71 is a name known to allcarter71 is a name known to allcarter71 is a name known to allcarter71 is a name known to allcarter71 is a name known to allcarter71 is a name known to allcarter71 is a name known to allcarter71 is a name known to allcarter71 is a name known to allcarter71 is a name known to allcarter71 is a name known to all
Default Re: Moving to Alicante Area - Help Please.

Originally Posted by The Campbells
I have a young family (3 year old twins) so schooling is a big issue for us, I would like to send our kids to a British school.
If you want a British school then Alicante may not be for you. Your children will be better off in state Spanish in any case possibly private for secondary.

I work away from home for a month at a time so my wife and kids would be left on their own, so would like to stay in an area with an expat community, preferrably a secure residential complex.
For the best security avoid expat areas. Criminals are attracted to perceived wealth, particularly during the current crisis and expats are sometimes part of the problem.

Have you spent time in the area recently?
Old Apr 11th 2010, 6:33 am
¿Dónde estoy?

lynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond repute

We are seriously thinking about moving to the Alicante area and would really appreciate some assistance deciding where to stay.

Can anyone offer some advice on areas / developments around Alicante that would suit these needs? Thanks in advance for any information provided.
how far away from Alicante would you be prepared to be - I assume it's for the airport?

there are a lot of families in your situation in my town - hubby on the rigs or wherever & away for a month or so at a time

lots of expats here & more than one International/British school in the area - although I agree with carter71 & would put such young kids into Spanish state school - better for the family as far as 'integrating' is concerned - and they'll pick up the language really quickly

you could do a lot worse than Javea - not the cheapest area by any means but about an hour from Alicante - and smaller towns nearby/half an hour from the coast are less expensive
Old Apr 11th 2010, 7:30 am
HBG
Lost in BE Cyberspace

HBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond repute

We have friends from the UK who have brought young children to Spain and have put them into state schools, where they have integrated and learnt Spanish very quickly, in a matter of months.

But I have noticed that in some cases, after they’ve left school and become employed, they seem to have either forgotten their English, or are reluctant to use it, almost as an act of defiance. All their friends are Spanish and they seem to drift away from their parents, especially if their parents haven’t integrated into Spanish society.

This is an aside. We often joke about rude Spanish shop assistants in places like Carrefour or Mercadona, there is a famous one around here, ruder than all the others, and she comes from Croydon.
Old Apr 11th 2010, 8:36 am
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

Ive said before that I'm not keen on Alicante. Dont know why, just dont like it.

Lynnxa has a good point. Javea has a fair number of expats, and its not a million miles from Alicante airport. Decent beaches, nice surrounding countryside

Theres a load of pics of Javea area HERE
Old Apr 11th 2010, 8:47 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by lynnxa
how far away from Alicante would you be prepared to be - I assume it's for the airport?
One reason was for the Airport, but the main reason was for activities for the kids. We spent a couple of weeks in Calpe last October which we really enjoyed, until it rained for a few days and it was apparent that there was very little to do when the weather was not so good.

there are a lot of families in your situation in my town - hubby on the rigs or wherever & away for a month or so at a time
Yes, I also work on the rigs. I would like to be in an area where my wife and kids would feel comfortable and meet like-minded people. My wife does not speak Spanish and I would really like for them to meet new friends.

lots of expats here & more than one International/British school in the area - although I agree with carter71 & would put such young kids into Spanish state school - better for the family as far as 'integrating' is concerned - and they'll pick up the language really quickly
We had looked at Lady Elizabeth School and Xabia International College, but take your point about integrtion, this is a point I seriously will consider.

you could do a lot worse than Javea - not the cheapest area by any means but about an hour from Alicante - and smaller towns nearby/half an hour from the coast are less expensive
Based on your advice I shall be looking a lot more towards Javea and Denia. Thanks so much for taking the time to reply.
Old Apr 11th 2010, 8:51 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Mitzyboy
Ive said before that I'm not keen on Alicante. Dont know why, just dont like it.

Lynnxa has a good point. Javea has a fair number of expats, and its not a million miles from Alicante airport. Decent beaches, nice surrounding countryside

Theres a load of pics of Javea area HERE
I now wish I had taken the time to explore the area to the North of Calpe during our visit last year. We intend to go across again soon, but not with the kids this time - we got very little in the way of fact finding done as they can be hard work at such a young age.

Thanks for the advice.
Old Apr 11th 2010, 11:10 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by carter71
If you want a British school then Alicante may not be for you. Your children will be better off in state Spanish in any case possibly private for secondary.
This is something I shall be giving serious consideration to, thanks.

For the best security avoid expat areas. Criminals are attracted to perceived wealth, particularly during the current crisis and expats are sometimes part of the problem.
Security is a big issue for me, thanks for the advice.

Have you spent time in the area recently?
Only a couple of weeks in Calpe last year, but shall be visiting again soon before the holiday season starts in earnest. Any advice as to where we should be concentrating our efforts is much appreciated.
Old Apr 11th 2010, 11:12 pm
Forum Regular

searcher48 is just really nicesearcher48 is just really nicesearcher48 is just really nicesearcher48 is just really nicesearcher48 is just really nicesearcher48 is just really nicesearcher48 is just really nicesearcher48 is just really nicesearcher48 is just really nicesearcher48 is just really nicesearcher48 is just really nice

Was in your situation 13 yrs ago. Moved here with 5 and 2 yr old. Chose Alfaz del Pi. British schools Sierra Bernia and Elians British School and costa blanca school. Also 40 mins on school bus to European School in San Juan and Lady Elizabeth School secondary in Jalon. Sent the kids to local school for first 2 yrs untill their spanish was good (its taught in spanish rather than valenciano). Then British Schools. 10 mins into Benidorm for theme parks, bowling, cinema etc 45 mins to airport. 50% expat population mainly brit norweigen dutch and german.
Old Apr 12th 2010, 12:04 am
Just Joined

Smile Re: Moving to Alicante Area - Help Please.

Originally Posted by searcher48
Was in your situation 13 yrs ago. Moved here with 5 and 2 yr old. Chose Alfaz del Pi. British schools Sierra Bernia and Elians British School and costa blanca school. Also 40 mins on school bus to European School in San Juan and Lady Elizabeth School secondary in Jalon. Sent the kids to local school for first 2 yrs untill their spanish was good (its taught in spanish rather than valenciano). Then British Schools. 10 mins into Benidorm for theme parks, bowling, cinema etc 45 mins to airport. 50% expat population mainly brit norweigen dutch and german.
Now this really is food for thought; I definitely shall be looking more in to this area. The idea of being so close to schools and the attractions in Benidorm (purely for the kids) does appeal to me. We spent some time in Calpe last year, and although we loved the area my wife would prefer to move somewhere that would not involve so much driving for schools and with more attractions, other than the beach, to go to with the children.

Could you recommend any local estate agents I could look at with the view to a long-term rental?

Many thanks
Old Apr 12th 2010, 4:40 am
¿Dónde estoy?

lynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond repute

One reason was for the Airport, but the main reason was for activities for the kids. We spent a couple of weeks in Calpe last October which we really enjoyed, until it rained for a few days and it was apparent that there was very little to do when the weather was not so good.

Yes, I also work on the rigs. I would like to be in an area where my wife and kids would feel comfortable and meet like-minded people. My wife does not speak Spanish and I would really like for them to meet new friends.

We had looked at Lady Elizabeth School and Xabia International College, but take your point about integrtion, this is a point I seriously will consider.

Based on your advice I shall be looking a lot more towards Javea and Denia. Thanks so much for taking the time to reply.

you're very welcome
This is something I shall be giving serious consideration to, thanks.

Security is a big issue for me, thanks for the advice.

Only a couple of weeks in Calpe last year, but shall be visiting again soon before the holiday season starts in earnest. Any advice as to where we should be concentrating our efforts is much appreciated.
from a security/not being completely alone with 2 little kids point of view, it might be worth considering an apartment/townhouse on a gated urb with a communal garden & pool in town

I know everyone dreams of a villa with views, but being stuck 15 mins drive from everything with neighbours who come only at weekends is no fun (& can be pretty scary) with 2 young kids

a ground floor apartment or townhouse would have a little private garden - enough for the kids but not so much that your wife would spend half her life gardening