Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Moving to alicante

Moving to alicante

Old Mar 2nd 2011, 10:00 am
HBG
Lost in BE Cyberspace

HBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving to alicante

Gran Alacant is a new place, and as such doesn’t yet have all the infrastructure in place, especially public transport. On the other hand it’s in a convenient position, close to Alicante and the airport.

The nearby Los Arenales, the tower blocks lining the coast, may also be problematic in the future because they contravene the laws concerning building too near to the coast, but they’ve been there for a while, and they’re Spanish.
Old Mar 2nd 2011, 7:44 pm
Forum Regular

alig2010 has a brilliant futurealig2010 has a brilliant futurealig2010 has a brilliant futurealig2010 has a brilliant futurealig2010 has a brilliant futurealig2010 has a brilliant future

Be careful if you choose to live around Alicante - between the city and Santa Pola you have the flight path into Alicante airport and it is noisy and they are expanding things from what I've heard. When you fly into Alicante to come and check things out (which of course you have planned to do) sit near the window and you will see exactly where NOT to live as you come into land.

Check out the Alicante tram route and see if any of those places suit you. El Campello to the North of Alicante is about 1/2 an hour from the centre, then you have to get from there to the school, so not much further North if the school is in Alicante.

I wouldn't want to live in Gran A if I wasn't working and I'd have to have a car there.

Good luck with the job application.
Old Mar 4th 2011, 1:13 pm
Forum Regular

john1979 has a brilliant futurejohn1979 has a brilliant futurejohn1979 has a brilliant futurejohn1979 has a brilliant futurejohn1979 has a brilliant futurejohn1979 has a brilliant futurejohn1979 has a brilliant futurejohn1979 has a brilliant future

Gran Alacant is not on the flight path as far as i'm aware. Though unsure how the new terminal will affect the area.
Old Mar 5th 2011, 9:10 am
Just Joined

almac1 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by alig2010
Be careful if you choose to live around Alicante - between the city and Santa Pola you have the flight path into Alicante airport and it is noisy and they are expanding things from what I've heard. When you fly into Alicante to come and check things out (which of course you have planned to do) sit near the window and you will see exactly where NOT to live as you come into land.

Check out the Alicante tram route and see if any of those places suit you. El Campello to the North of Alicante is about 1/2 an hour from the centre, then you have to get from there to the school, so not much further North if the school is in Alicante.

I wouldn't want to live in Gran A if I wasn't working and I'd have to have a car there.

Good luck with the job application.
Thanks for the info, I have an interview this week. I haven't heard a bad word about the school and the facilities look great. If I am selected then I may come across for a few days at the easter break, hire a car and have a look round. I want to try and keep my commute to around 20-30minutes if possible and would be willing to rent a car for the year to do so. The option of public transport would be useful. Never thought about the flight path! Thanks for bringing it to my attention.
Old Mar 5th 2011, 8:52 pm
Just Joined

acpc200 is just really niceacpc200 is just really niceacpc200 is just really niceacpc200 is just really niceacpc200 is just really niceacpc200 is just really niceacpc200 is just really niceacpc200 is just really nice

Hello, I just joined. I was looking for info on La Nucia as I have just accepted a job at a school there!! So I was a bit worried to read about rumours of financial difficulties!!! I also had a look at Albir - thought it was lovely and hear that most of the teachers at my new school live there....and if they fancy something more lively head into Benidorm! We are moving in 5 weeks and are planning to stay in a hotel for a week and then try and find a place to rent from there - is that easy enough?
Old Mar 5th 2011, 10:15 pm
Started off with nothing

missile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by acpc200
Benidorm! We are moving in 5 weeks and are planning to stay in a hotel for a week and then try and find a place to rent from there - is that easy enough?
We recently stayed @ la estacion which is right by the bus staion, 37.50 per night. see here > http://www.hotelesposeidon.com/en/search.html

There are many properties available for rent. Don't be in such a hurry. Take some time to look around before you choose. Speak to your work colleagues.

Last edited by missile; Mar 5th 2011 at 10:18 pm.
Old Mar 7th 2011, 3:14 pm
Just Joined

test is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by john1979
Gran Alacant is not on the flight path as far as i'm aware. Though unsure how the new terminal will affect the area.
that is correct, Grand Alacant is not rigth on the flight path...but is quite near!, is a residential area(quite new and recent) comfortable but with no personality...Santa Pola wich is a t 5 km from GA is a fishermans village, very nice , flat and quiet specially in winter, in summer it gets more bussy.
avoid the west side of santa pola8more bussy and wost constructed) i recomend the east of santa pola, very nice and residential, quiet and better builted.You have a mercadona rigth there, nice beaches and nice residential condominiums(like residential Varadero Playa) or any property along the "paseo", a nice 3 km walk area by the sea, no cars, very nice for children to ride bikes, or run...you can also buy fresh fish from the fishermans market eveery day, and a fresh fruit an vegetable market every saturday(unexpensive fruit with excelent quality)......
Old Mar 7th 2011, 3:35 pm
Forum Regular

searcher48 is just really nicesearcher48 is just really nicesearcher48 is just really nicesearcher48 is just really nicesearcher48 is just really nicesearcher48 is just really nicesearcher48 is just really nicesearcher48 is just really nicesearcher48 is just really nicesearcher48 is just really nicesearcher48 is just really nice

Public transport is limited Spain. Especially trying to commute....Best to bring a car over from UK for the year or buy one here. Unless you can live on the school bus route.
Old Mar 7th 2011, 4:42 pm
Started off with nothing

missile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond repute

Public transport is extremely good in some areas. For example, if OP decided to lve in Guardamar or Santa Pola there is a frequent and cheap bus service to Alicante. If He chooses san Juan / Campello he could take the train.
Old Mar 8th 2011, 2:12 pm
Forum Regular

alig2010 has a brilliant futurealig2010 has a brilliant futurealig2010 has a brilliant futurealig2010 has a brilliant futurealig2010 has a brilliant futurealig2010 has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by acpc200
Hello, I just joined. I was looking for info on La Nucia as I have just accepted a job at a school there!! So I was a bit worried to read about rumours of financial difficulties!!! I also had a look at Albir - thought it was lovely and hear that most of the teachers at my new school live there....and if they fancy something more lively head into Benidorm! We are moving in 5 weeks and are planning to stay in a hotel for a week and then try and find a place to rent from there - is that easy enough?
If I remember correctly there is an aparthotel in Albir, that would be useful if you are staying a couple of weeks while you flat hunt. At the lower budget end we'v found that hotels here in spain don't do kettles etc. so it can be a pain staying in a hotel if you want to keep costs down. Outside of the Easter holidays you should be able to get a good deal on self-catering accommodation for a week or two. BEWARE if you are arriving during the Easter holidays as things could be booked up and/or very expensive.
Old May 9th 2011, 8:24 am
BE Enthusiast

Saxy is a splendid one to beholdSaxy is a splendid one to beholdSaxy is a splendid one to beholdSaxy is a splendid one to beholdSaxy is a splendid one to beholdSaxy is a splendid one to beholdSaxy is a splendid one to beholdSaxy is a splendid one to beholdSaxy is a splendid one to beholdSaxy is a splendid one to beholdSaxy is a splendid one to behold

So what happened. I am dying to know

John.
Old May 29th 2011, 2:23 pm
Just Joined

almac1 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Saxy
So what happened. I am dying to know

John.
Never got the job so staying put. Feedback was that they were very impressed. These things happen. There's always next year.
Old Apr 5th 2012, 10:42 pm
Just Joined

mikepim1 is an unknown quantity at this point

almac1, what was the post you applied for?
I have got an interview in La Nucia after Christmas, could you please give me an insight into the interview process.
What can I expect? What are they looking for?
Many thanks.
Old Dec 12th 2012, 8:49 am
Just Joined

mijas2 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi

We are a couple in our mid 30's who have lived in Mijas, Malaga for years and feel it has died of death here in this area and its probably time for us to move on to a new adventure - Its died of death for us anyway!

We are looking to move to the Costa Blanca area - Alicante/Benidorm, but have not got a clue on which areas to start looking in - We know what we want but not where!!!

We would like a rural campo property, we currently live 25 mins from the nearest beach, have sea views, clear view of Africa etc, we like our views and our space.

We would ideally like a rustic / spanish cave house with a min of 2 beds and either a swimming pool or hot tub, we have pets so we would prefer outside gardens and space - private and secluded but with views to die for as we have here!

Ideally we would like to be away from the tourist track and beachside, within bus / car is fine but we like to be around fellow spanish as well as brits.

Has anyoone got any ideas of any locations I may be able to start looking at? We would prefer south from Alicante and no more than 30/40mins from airport driving.

Any help would be much appreciated and grateful

Im new to this so hopefully havent bored anyone with the long post but at least its detailed!!

Thank you again

M X
Old Dec 12th 2012, 9:53 am
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mijas2
Hi

We are a couple in our mid 30's who have lived in Mijas, Malaga for years and feel it has died of death here in this area and its probably time for us to move on to a new adventure - Its died of death for us anyway!

We are looking to move to the Costa Blanca area - Alicante/Benidorm, but have not got a clue on which areas to start looking in - We know what we want but not where!!!

We would like a rural campo property, we currently live 25 mins from the nearest beach, have sea views, clear view of Africa etc, we like our views and our space.

We would ideally like a rustic / spanish cave house with a min of 2 beds and either a swimming pool or hot tub, we have pets so we would prefer outside gardens and space - private and secluded but with views to die for as we have here!

Ideally we would like to be away from the tourist track and beachside, within bus / car is fine but we like to be around fellow spanish as well as brits.

Has anyoone got any ideas of any locations I may be able to start looking at? We would prefer south from Alicante and no more than 30/40mins from airport driving.

Any help would be much appreciated and grateful

Im new to this so hopefully havent bored anyone with the long post but at least its detailed!!

Thank you again

M X
You may find it better to start your own thread, this has been dormant, apart from a single post, for well over a year and I suspect many people may not see it, perhaps a nice mod can move it for you..

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.