Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Move stuff over or sell and buy new.

Move stuff over or sell and buy new.

Old Aug 17th 2013, 3:00 pm
Forum Regular

Gizmo_man60 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Move stuff over or sell and buy new.

I have 2 bicycles, 3D smart TV, 2 smaller TV`s, PC with 2 monitors, 2 printers with a dozen or so removal boxes filled with clothes, CD/DVD`s etc. I also have around 20 large picture frames containing family photo`s which I really want to keep.
I have had provisional estimates for moving this at just under £1000

I reckon that I would not get anywhere near £1000 if I were to sell it all but to replace even the Smart TV new would cost around £1000. The PC and printers are used for my photography hobby. The pictures in the frames are of sentimental value.

Is it better take all the stuff over or to sell all the stuff and buy new?
Old Aug 17th 2013, 3:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

Lynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Move stuff over or sell and buy new.

Originally Posted by Gizmo_man60
I have 2 bicycles, 3D smart TV, 2 smaller TV`s, PC with 2 monitors, 2 printers with a dozen or so removal boxes filled with clothes, CD/DVD`s etc. I also have around 20 large picture frames containing family photo`s which I really want to keep.

I reckon that I would not get anywhere near £1000 if I were to sell it all but to replace even the Smart TV new would cost around £1000. The PC and printers are used for my photography hobby. The pictures in the frames are of sentimental value.

I can't see you being able to save any money if you wanted to buy new to replace the items that are replaceable over here, tbh. I know from bitter experience that you don't get much for selling things second hand.

We didn't bring any furniture apart from a couple of very small items when we moved, or TVs, but it still cost us about £1400 for a part load to get all our stuff moved over. I have seen this guy get a lot of recommendations and positive comments on forums for removals:-

http://www.jimbothescot.com/

Hope I am not breaking any forum rules re advertising, I haven't used the service myself nor have I any connection with the business, but as I say a lot of people seem to speak highly of them.
Old Aug 17th 2013, 3:28 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks Lynn R
Will check them out but it does seem that their costs a bit higher than our provisional estimates. Think some more work needs to be done on extras the company charges
Old Aug 17th 2013, 3:43 pm
BE Enthusiast

pete_l has a reputation beyond reputepete_l has a reputation beyond reputepete_l has a reputation beyond reputepete_l has a reputation beyond reputepete_l has a reputation beyond reputepete_l has a reputation beyond reputepete_l has a reputation beyond reputepete_l has a reputation beyond reputepete_l has a reputation beyond reputepete_l has a reputation beyond reputepete_l has a reputation beyond repute

Check very carefully what insurance cover the movers offer. In particular what exclusions they have and whether there are any minimum/maximum claim amounts.

Though as it is, a grand doesn't sound too bad when you consider the distances involved and the amount of time & diesel it takes.
Old Aug 17th 2013, 3:58 pm
Forum Regular

chocaholic22 is just really nicechocaholic22 is just really nicechocaholic22 is just really nicechocaholic22 is just really nicechocaholic22 is just really nicechocaholic22 is just really nicechocaholic22 is just really nicechocaholic22 is just really nice

Hi, we did a bit of both. Bought some new stuff over there, but also took all the things over that were either more expensive in Spain or irreplaceable.

We used Roy Trevor Ltd for removals cannot praise them enough. They even stored our stuff for a few weeks in Spain for free, because our purchase was delayed!

Good luck.
Old Aug 17th 2013, 4:02 pm
Banned

jackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond repute

Murray-Harper for me (Estepona) used them a few times. I would bring over everything. We regretted leaving a lot of stuff that was lots more expensive to replace.
Old Aug 17th 2013, 4:16 pm
Forum Regular

I understand that some companies charge for "extras" and this can often bump up the price.
As we do not intend to move till August 2014 we has some time to investigate this further.
I have read that some people who have made the move to Spain regretted not taking stuff with them.
Many thanks to all who have posted and I will be looking at their suggestions
Old Aug 17th 2013, 4:24 pm
Ex Expat

scampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond repute

We moved over slowly, and brought a car-load each time. Seat Alhambra MPV with the seats out, and flat-pack furniture. We kept our house in England so we had to buy new furniture. (However, we didn't need to transport stuff from IKEA in Wednesbury when we drove past IKEA in Madrid!! Not a lot of research done there ).

I would personally say, certainly for furniture, buy it when you get here. Drive things like your TV and computers.

Last edited by scampicat; Aug 17th 2013 at 4:27 pm.
Old Aug 17th 2013, 4:35 pm
Forum Regular

I did consider that, renting a van over there and driving it to Scotland and then back to Ciudad Quesada but was put off with the distances involved.
Old Aug 17th 2013, 5:41 pm
Retired and in Spain

Library Ticket is just really niceLibrary Ticket is just really niceLibrary Ticket is just really niceLibrary Ticket is just really niceLibrary Ticket is just really niceLibrary Ticket is just really niceLibrary Ticket is just really niceLibrary Ticket is just really niceLibrary Ticket is just really niceLibrary Ticket is just really niceLibrary Ticket is just really nice

Have you considered a one way hire, that's what we did?

You can pick the vehicle up in the UK drive to the south coast and catch a ferry from Portsmouth to either Santander or Bilbao and then it's an 8 hour drive to Ciudad Quesada. The firm we used are based in Javea which is about a 90 minute drive (in a van) from CQ. That's where we returned the van to.
Old Aug 17th 2013, 6:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

jennieJ is a splendid one to beholdjennieJ is a splendid one to beholdjennieJ is a splendid one to beholdjennieJ is a splendid one to beholdjennieJ is a splendid one to beholdjennieJ is a splendid one to beholdjennieJ is a splendid one to beholdjennieJ is a splendid one to beholdjennieJ is a splendid one to beholdjennieJ is a splendid one to beholdjennieJ is a splendid one to behold

I must admitt, I am now a little worried that a Country you deem is 'finished' has managed to provide you with a job whereby you have bought 3 Smart TV's, 2 other TV's, PC with 2 monitors and 2 printers and box loads of DVD's.

Bring it all over with you, preferably drive the electricals yourself.
Old Aug 17th 2013, 8:04 pm
Ex Expat

scampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond repute

I did consider that, renting a van over there and driving it to Scotland and then back to Ciudad Quesada but was put off with the distances involved.
Come on the ferry from Portsmouth or Plymouth to Santander or Bilbao. That gets rid of a lot of driving.
Old Aug 17th 2013, 8:31 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by jennieJ
I must admitt, I am now a little worried that a Country you deem is 'finished' has managed to provide you with a job whereby you have bought 3 Smart TV's, 2 other TV's, PC with 2 monitors and 2 printers and box loads of DVD's.

Bring it all over with you, preferably drive the electricals yourself.
Both my wife and I have worked hard for everything we have and paid our taxes on it all
Driving may be something that we would consider as some people has given us food for thought.

I believe that the worse has yet to hit this country for despite going through a period of great austerity this country has increased its borrowing more in the last 4 years than the 15 years previous.
You cannot keep borrowing without having to pay it back someday and when that day comes, well who knows what will happen.
As long as the interest rates remain low in this country it may well delay that day from arriving but will never prevent it from happening.
So ends my personal view on the state of the UK.
Old Aug 17th 2013, 9:31 pm
Started off with nothing

missile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond repute

........... and makes you think it is better in Spain?

Last edited by missile; Aug 17th 2013 at 9:40 pm.
Old Aug 17th 2013, 10:22 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

agoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by missile
........... and makes you think it is better in Spain?
Like you, I have no idea of the OP's knowledge of Spain, but as I said, he might be in for a shock, and it won't be a pleasant one. He's incredibly naive if he thinks he's leaving a sinking ship and heading for a country that is much better off financially. Financially, Spain is a basket case, despite billions pumped into by the EU, and as yet there is no light at the end of the tunnel. Unemployment, UK 7.8% Spain ~27%, under 25's ~60%, business wise UK is showing lots of signs of recovery,(from a much higher base than Spain) Spain still heading downhill fast. He's says you have to get out of your comfort zone or live your life regretting it, unfortunately a lot have already tried that, and ended up regretting it. If you have enough money to be able to keep a property in UK (or France, Germany, wherever you might be living) move to Spain, rent a place and give it a go, fine, move back if it doesn't work, but to burn your boats and move to Spain lock stock and barrel now with little money, ¡es una locura! Anyway, Scotland will be independent in a few years, problems solved, Salmond has told us, untold riches await.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.