Reload this Page >

Move to Spain? Is that sound or silly

Move to Spain? Is that sound or silly

Old Jan 7th 2012, 8:02 pm
Needs the SUN

bostonlady is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Move to Spain? Is that sound or silly

Originally Posted by jackytoo
Bostonlady are you American? If so there are restrictions to living and working in Europe as there are for us to live in the USA.

Curious, would have some expamples as to the restrictions? I checked with the Spainish colsulate and they claim that what is needed is a

"Letter from the Immigration Office in Spain ("Extranjería") addressed to the company or employer in Spain notifying of the approval for the working permit and residency visa. (This must be done by the company or employer before your visa's application). We would need the below mentioned records
"Travel document
□ Government authorisation
□ Request for government
authorisation
□ Means of livelihood
□ Proof of accommodation
□ Medical certificate
□ Criminal record certificate
□ Travel medical insurance
Old Jan 7th 2012, 10:10 pm
Banned

jackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond repute

I meant getting the work permit is not always easy. Just because a company has a "presence" in Spain it does not mean they can just transfer anyone to work in Spain. It has to be proved that a spanish resident cannot do the job. I know someone who works in obtaining work permits and many applicants are being turned down.

http://immigration.lawbird.com/en/se...sidence-Permit
Old Jan 7th 2012, 10:34 pm
On the road again.

Dick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bostonlady
Curious, would have some expamples as to the restrictions? I checked with the Spainish colsulate and they claim that what is needed is a

"Letter from the Immigration Office in Spain ("Extranjería") addressed to the company or employer in Spain notifying of the approval for the working permit and residency visa. (This must be done by the company or employer before your visa's application). We would need the below mentioned records
"Travel document
□ Government authorisation
□ Request for government
authorisation
□ Means of livelihood
□ Proof of accommodation
□ Medical certificate
□ Criminal record certificate
□ Travel medical insurance
...and thats just for starters.
for stage number two study this clip........

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XXWZ3uAEKsw
Old Jan 8th 2012, 3:01 am
Needs the SUN

Just to clarify a bit. We have requested this transfer so we could live in Spain. My husband works "remotely" his requirement is an internet connection. He would have the same clients and be working on the same projects. This job could not be filled by anyone else because there is no position..

He works with people on a "team". Its comprised of people from Toronto, India, NYC, Boston and Cali. Different time zones. Etc. He develops software for companies and countries.

Thank you for the words of wisdom. We have a lot to look forward to Ups and Down and the ever present "maybe".
Old Jan 8th 2012, 9:22 am

Domino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond repute

Just to clarify a bit. We have requested this transfer so we could live in Spain. My husband works "remotely" his requirement is an internet connection. He would have the same clients and be working on the same projects. This job could not be filled by anyone else because there is no position..

He works with people on a "team". Its comprised of people from Toronto, India, NYC, Boston and Cali. Different time zones. Etc. He develops software for companies and countries.

Thank you for the words of wisdom. We have a lot to look forward to Ups and Down and the ever present "maybe".
Hi
well you are seeing some of the Gloom and Doom merchants at work, all I would suggest is that you carry on doing things as you are, get things planned and work to the plan. You have company support behind you and that counts for alot. Companies are making all sorts of promises about providing work for local staff which never come about. Some companies who have done are looking to move on to some other country around the world to make a short term (say 5 years) gain in financial support for employing locals. They will move on again.

At the end of the day it is your lives, you know what you have hanging on it, personally and business wise, just haunt the forums here, dabble your toes in from time to time and do what you want to do with the restrictions imposed by the country. They will be very similar whichever country you decide to move to, even if it is to a kampong in Malaysia where all you wear is flipflops and a tablecloth.
Just let me know when you want me to put the towel out on the beach for you.
Good luck
Old Jan 8th 2012, 9:47 am
Just Joined

Dalek182 is an unknown quantity at this point

OK, Spain is a wonderful country, it is vibrant exciting and as long as you have enough money to lead a comfortable life you should have a great time. I lived near Alicante for 3 years and we had to relocate back to the UK. We visit 6-8 times a year.

You seem protected by the fact your husband will be there on business and your employment situation is sorted.

My only concern is that broadband speeds in Spain are poor. The best we could manage was 3mgb. We left 3 years ago but I do not think things have improved.

If you want any specific info please PM me

Best wishes and good luck
Old Jan 8th 2012, 10:30 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

cricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dalek182
OK, Spain is a wonderful country, it is vibrant exciting and as long as you have enough money to lead a comfortable life you should have a great time. I lived near Alicante for 3 years and we had to relocate back to the UK. We visit 6-8 times a year.

You seem protected by the fact your husband will be there on business and your employment situation is sorted.

My only concern is that broadband speeds in Spain are poor. The best we could manage was 3mgb. We left 3 years ago but I do not think things have improved.

I thought the OP said her husband would be operating out of Madrid or Barcelona?

In which case the way of life will be very different to most of the people's on this forum. It wont be relaxing at all, it will be as stressful as living in any other city. But I agree, it will be a step up for your children from living in the US as long as you have plenty of money

Just make sure you speak good Spanish or you will feel lost and you wont be able to make many friends unless you stick to the expat population

And even if you have a job to come to that still doesnt guarentee that you will be given a Visa

No problems with broadband speeds close to the Spanish cities, especially not in Madrid/Barcelona. 10Meg is standard and they have 100Meg fibre optic internet is some areas
Old Jan 8th 2012, 10:34 am
¿Dónde estoy?

lynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond repute

internet speeds have improved in many areas - it really just depends where you are

we are contracted for 6mg with Movistar & regularly get 8-10 -today it's just over 5

just around the corner 6 months ago we were lucky to get 3
Old Jan 8th 2012, 10:56 am
Forum Regular

tex_ritter has much to be proud oftex_ritter has much to be proud oftex_ritter has much to be proud oftex_ritter has much to be proud oftex_ritter has much to be proud oftex_ritter has much to be proud oftex_ritter has much to be proud oftex_ritter has much to be proud oftex_ritter has much to be proud oftex_ritter has much to be proud oftex_ritter has much to be proud of

You mentioned Tenerife, and if thats an option I'd opt for that over mainland Spain as the weather is good all year round, no cold and rainy months .

Your children will have a great time meeting new friends etc. Try and learn some Spanish but to be honest its not essential really, its not as if your going to be working there where the language would be vital. You'll still be watching English speaking TV and there are plenty of English speaking ex pats you will meet via the School plus a lot of Spanish folk speak English and will 'practise' on you lol.

Have a wonderful time, your children will have some great tales to tell on their return to the US.
Old Jan 8th 2012, 11:06 am
Banned

jackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cricketman

And even if you have a job to come to that still doesnt guarentee that you will be given a Visa
Exactly,it's not doom and gloom, just being realistic. The Spanish are very protectionist regarding the employment market...rightly so. What I said earlier is fact, many are refused a work visa.
Old Jan 8th 2012, 2:01 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Mine started at .5 meg it is now 10, so it has changed a little and will be faster in the big cities.

Old Jan 8th 2012, 3:09 pm
Just Joined

freeradical is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello,

Just reading some threads and information about the current economic state of Spain. My family has been planning a move to Spain since 2009. We are planning to go in June of 2013. We even have the contractors lined up to spruce up the house prior to it going up for sale.

My husband is employeed, and his company will relocate him to a place where they have a presence. (2 year max) He is an senior software designer. So we have a steady income. Our children are 4 and 7.

Curious, on how bad and depressing is Spain is right now? From what I read it does not sound as grim as Greece, where the trash is not even being collected. It sounds like things will be very tight with the projected 30 bn needed to be collected over the next 3 years. I can not envision any boarded up businesses or restuarants or any lack of "life", that spirit of the people that make us want to live there.

The U.S. in no picnic right now. I have lived here all my life and have never seen it as bad as it is now. And that includes the years when George W. Bush was president...

Any thoughts or comments? If you could move to Spain (Valencia) or Tenerife in the year to come would you? If not where would you live?

Thanks
We retired to Valencia 8 years ago and our only regret is that we did not do it sooner.

Best of Luck.
Old Jan 8th 2012, 5:16 pm
Needs the SUN

Thank you all for your words of wisdom. We plan to plug along as planned. We understand fully that is it not all sunshine and roses... No place is. But we do know that any adventure we give our children will last a life time.

I think they would benefit from understanding that there are more point of views out there than what the U.S. would want you to beleive... I wish our politicians traveled more...lol

Thanks again. I will keep you posted.
Old Jan 9th 2012, 10:09 am

Domino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lynnxa
internet speeds have improved in many areas - it really just depends where you are

we are contracted for 6mg with Movistar & regularly get 8-10 -today it's just over 5

just around the corner 6 months ago we were lucky to get 3
Originally Posted by jdr
Mine started at .5 meg it is now 10, so it has changed a little and will be faster in the big cities.

http://www.speedtest.net/result/1694143943.png
we had a Thread on Internet speeds last year and there was a guy from Madrid who was getting 50mb
http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...nternet+speeds
Old Jan 9th 2012, 1:38 pm
Banned

amideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond repute

You might think things are bad in the US, but Americans' definition of "bad" is different than in Spain.

If you are accustomed to an American standard of living and reliant on the law to protect you, you may need to readjust your expectations.

Furthermore, be aware that corruption in Spain is significantly more prominent than in the US, and the result is that there are certain aspects of daily life in Spain that closed-minded Americans might find absolutely shocking.

It is not at all uncommon to be sold things that are not at all what they were claimed to be (real estate is a good example), or to roped into a scheme where you consistently overpay without recourse (the utility companies are masters at this), and until you become a bit less naive, you may find that you are deliberately misled about many things as a standard modus operandi.

As if that isn't enough, if you believe you have bureacracy in the US, you certainly haven't seen anything yet. I strongly recommend anyone aspiring to move to Spain to watch this amusing, but not-far-from-the-truth example of Spanish bureacracy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BZGHPpEmH14

But once you fall into the "rhythm" of Spanish life, you'll be better facilitated to avoid and minise these difficulties, and in the end - as many of us here, will find living in Spain well worth all the initial drawbacks.

For the interim, I'd strongly recommend the services of someone you can personally trust, who is well-versed in the mysterious ways of Spanish life before assuming that the law will provide you relief in the event you are defrauded. It won't. If you are naive enough to be ripped off, it's your fault.

Remember where you heard this.

Last edited by amideislas; Jan 9th 2012 at 2:07 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.