Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Move to Spain? Is that sound or silly

Move to Spain? Is that sound or silly

Old Jan 13th 2012, 3:47 pm
Banned

amideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Move to Spain? Is that sound or silly

Originally Posted by bostonlady
Thank you for the retort. One of the primary reasons we will be relocating out of the country for the 2 years, is to allow my children to have the opportunity to be able to reply to your comment. From experience, not from reading a tweet or the News.

The majority of Americans that vote Republician never leave the country. Well, the ones who make under $75,000. (even the car manufatures). And they dont drink good wine either...lol...

The seperation between classes has been growing. The people in poverty here live better than those in other countries, I believe that is true, as most have roofs over their heads and access to soup kitchens to get some meals. Thank God that we do have them. But they will be cut soon, when the Republicians take office in 2013. They are sick of giving people hand outs. But that only counts for Americans. We will give Isreal and other Foreign nations our last cents..as we watch jobs go to China and India. We must save face at all costs. Its Reputation that matters...not the fact that the poor can not get proper access to health care. Dentists are a think of the past, as are eye doctors. Its just not in the budget for the poor folks,,,But please I wont even get started on that.

I am not so naive to beleive we have it worse than any other nation but I do believe that we had many many opportunitues to make a better go at it and failed. Racism is rampant. President Obama is a good man and gets slammed down at every turn. And that is not because he is a Democrat. Do a google search and see where the House Majority leader is from...it will give you some insight to there feelings.. The Repubicans would rather watch as the U.S. Credit rating slips down the toilet that to dissapoint any coorporate sponsors.
Believe me I know, I was involved in the Republician Finance Committee for many years...2 many.....

I am looking forward to our move..We are still debating which area. I hope we can visit Tenerife or Las Palmas... I have only seen them in you tube videos...
Well, I'm personally quite pleased to hear you say that. I also believe that Obama is the best thing to happen to you guys in decades. I'd also like to believe that Americans have enough sense to know that, rendering him unbeatable in the upcoming election. Hopefully the economy over there will continue to improve, so the republicans end up proving what I expect many already know. I'd hate to see them win and then ride on the wave of economic recovery.

Have a great trip. Enjoy your new home.

Last edited by amideislas; Jan 13th 2012 at 3:52 pm.
Old Jan 13th 2012, 3:50 pm
Banned

jackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond repute

Not made IN china..Made BY the Chinese people living in France
First of all wine is not made and I have visited a lot of vineyards in France and never seen a Chinese person They may work the land, no idea, Moroccans grow most of the spanish tomatoes etc. but some on here claim they are the best in the world
Old Jan 13th 2012, 3:58 pm
Banned

jackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lynn R
If you want to use words like "hypocrites" and "hypocritical", do at least learn how to spell them, otherwise your credibility may be affected. In case you think that was an isolated slip, there was also "indemic" and "patheticly" from other posts - no, they are spelt "endemic" and "pathetically".
Why bring that up, have you not noticed many slips from the OP.... Or are you just trying to shoot the messenger!
Old Jan 13th 2012, 4:02 pm
Banned

I just wonder when the OP is actually going to ask any questions about living in Spain instead of all this rubbish. No queries about daily life, getting the kids into school or....anything
Old Jan 13th 2012, 4:03 pm
Banned

JLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cricketman
Me too

But amideislas already lost all credibility when she said in Spain they use female castration as a method of punishment for foreigners

Just proves that her view of the world is entirely upside down and inside out

You have already been pulled up for using the too much :

Now dont you think that we should let amideislas off for the astoundingly stupid, monumental gaffe about female castration as a punishment?

NO? no?

Niether do I..
Old Jan 13th 2012, 4:11 pm
Banned

Well when filled out the form I added a disclaimer that they had to promise to leave my genitals alone
Old Jan 13th 2012, 4:19 pm
Banned

JLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jackytoo
Well when filled out the form I added a disclaimer that they had to promise to leave my genitals alone
Very wise woman, coz if not you could have been minus a few important little bits and bobs.

Obviously your solicitor knew his stuff too, sometimes it pays to kick up a stink.
Old Jan 13th 2012, 4:23 pm
In the pink

Mallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lynn R
This would be the reason why debutante balls, in the form of cotillions, are still thriving in many US cities today after they died out long ago in Britain, why the Social Register is still published each year in the US, then?

You could have enough money to buy 10 apartments in a co-op building, but if the members of the board don't consider you "suitable", you won't get a foot in the door. Same goes for membership of the more exclusive country clubs.

No shortage of snobbery, IMO.
Here are some of those snobs. One of them is related to Mrs Obama.

http://www.nersophisticate.com/2011/...cotillion.html

Old Jan 13th 2012, 5:02 pm
Needs the SUN

bostonlady is an unknown quantity at this point

I just wonder when the OP is actually going to ask any questions about living in Spain instead of all this rubbish. No queries about daily life, getting the kids into school or....anything
As the OP'er I would never interrupt the heated topic about female genital manipulation, the extra money people are forced to pay for utilities, cable tv/internet or whether or not wine snobs exits in America. I thought it best of the rest of the topics to run their course.

Having said that, the children will be attending private school. We still have not yet decided which area we should move to.

Valencia, Murcia..Grand Canaries...We need approval and a proper internet connection.

I welcome any information you are willing to offer. We wish to be near the sea, husband is an expert level windsurfer.

Thank you
Old Jan 13th 2012, 6:01 pm
On the road again.

Dick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond repute

I welcome any information you are willing to offer. We wish to be near the sea, husband is an expert level windsurfer.

Thank you
http://www.wannasurf.com/spot/Europe...ife/el_medano/

There you go, great spot with reliable prevailing breezes and winds.
I used to sit and watch them for hours.
Quite a few international competitions are held there.
It's very close to the Southern airport and only a few more kms around the corner to the sheltered side where the main resorts are located.
Old Jan 13th 2012, 6:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

Lynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tommy.irene
I hate it when the spelling police get onto you..
I never do that, Tommy, EXCEPT where people who set out their stall claiming to be world authorities on everything under the sun, when in fact what they say and how they say it reveals glaring gaps in their knowledge, and when they are pointed out they start flinging insults about and calling anyone who disagrees with them snobs or hypocrites.

If I could understand this person's tortuous reasoning, I would be as barking mad as she is, I suppose.
Old Jan 13th 2012, 6:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

Lynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond repute

As the OP'er I would never interrupt the heated topic about female genital manipulation, the extra money people are forced to pay for utilities, cable tv/internet or whether or not wine snobs exits in America. I thought it best of the rest of the topics to run their course.

Having said that, the children will be attending private school. We still have not yet decided which area we should move to.

Valencia, Murcia..Grand Canaries...We need approval and a proper internet connection.

Thank you
The area best known for windsurfing in Andalucia is Tarifa, on the Costa de la Luz. I don't live anywhere near it, however, so have no idea what schools are available in the area or what internet connections are like.

Wherever you choose, I hope you and your family will have a great time. The biggest obstacle to anyone wishing to move here at present is being assured of a regular income, and as you have that covered I see no reason why it shouldn't be a great experience for all of you. Many of us are really enjoying our life here and haven't experienced any insurmountable problems other than the type of minor niggles that everyday life throws up wherever you live.
Old Jan 14th 2012, 7:25 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

agoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond repute

I know why I pop into this forum wherever I am...threads like this crack me up In a few posts Spain has the best cider, almonds and wine. It's la-la land, it's ludricous, it's hilarious, it's trolls R us
Yes, just cracked me up reading even an 8mb BB connection is quicker in Spain than UK. You couldn't make it up, could you?
Old Jan 14th 2012, 8:58 am

Domino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond repute

Jacky you protesteth too much

why should the OP want to sort out the minutiae of life, taking the kids to school, where to buy washing powder, how to get electricity connected. ?
after all she has already said she isnt moving until 2013 and doesnt know where they are going to live.

until that is all sorted out where to walk the dog is far far down the list of things
Old Jan 14th 2012, 9:55 am
Banned

I would want to sort out the kids education first, oh and probably decide where I would live....if I got a visa that is How can you find out which is best....not by this thread that's for sure

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.