Reload this Page >

Move to Spain 2016????

Move to Spain 2016????

Old Nov 7th 2015, 3:33 am
Forum Regular

St George 1974 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Move to Spain 2016????

Originally Posted by Keith1963
We still hop back and forth at the moment, unemployment here seems to be fairly high, crime seems lower than the UK, I have been offered a few jobs but I'm not that bothered. Retirement means retirement - well, for now !

The area over the past 18 months does seem to be getting more prosperous, other more informed locals will help with that. Transport links in Chiclana are going to be superb, fast train to Seville etc already. It all good. There isnt better area to live for me, but we did our research, it took a few years ! But it's sort of paid off. You can't have too much information.

Take your time, make YOUR best choices after much thought and you will be prosperous I'm sure. but before you do take a few days to drive the coast from Gib to Cadiz, honest, you could be swayed.
We may well do that when we stay there in early March for 4 weeks!! We aren't just looking at the Orihuela or Bigastro areas to live permanently, they will just be "home base" as like I have mentioned my partner knows this area very well. We are definitely open to options when it comes to a permanent residence in Spain.

Thanks again for your help, it's all very much appreciated :-)
Old Nov 7th 2015, 12:21 pm
Just Joined

EdinWigan is an unknown quantity at this point

Moved to a new thread

Last edited by EdinWigan; Nov 7th 2015 at 1:32 pm. Reason: Moved to its own thread to avoid confussion
Old Nov 7th 2015, 1:27 pm
Forum Regular

Hi Ed

You might find it more beneficial to start a new thread with Alicante City in the title, that way you will catch the eye of the best people to give you advice which I'm sure they will do :-)

Wayne
Old Nov 7th 2015, 1:30 pm
Just Joined

EdinWigan is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Wayne,

Yes, fair comment

Ed
Old Nov 8th 2015, 8:38 am
Forum Regular

After taking on board all the comments and advice given here and the high unemployment figures not to mention other factors that have popped up during my research, we have decided to put on hold a move to Spain for at least a few years.

Thanks to all who took the time to comment on this thread!
Old Nov 8th 2015, 8:53 am
Forum Regular

Ecco is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by St George 1974
After taking on board all the comments and advice given here and the high unemployment figures not to mention other factors that have popped up during my research, we have decided to put on hold a move to Spain for at least a few years.

Hi. Just out of interest. What were the other main factors that have put you off moving? And are they things that are likely to get better in a few years?

Gracias.
Old Nov 8th 2015, 9:07 am
Started off with nothing

missile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond repute

After taking on board all the comments and advice given here and the high unemployment figures not to mention other factors that have popped up during my research, we have decided to put on hold a move to Spain for at least a few years. Thanks to all who took the time to comment on this thread!
Never give up on your dreams. I hope you will not look back and regret your decision.
I find regret over those things I did not do harder to accept than the mistakes I have made over the years.
Old Nov 8th 2015, 9:16 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat095 is an unknown quantity at this point

FWIW I think you have made the right decision I've been following the thread but refrained from commenting on your proposal as I don't believe its my role in life to deter people from trying new things but as I say you've arrived at what I think is a correct choice.

Good luck to you and I hope your windfall is near the top end rather than the bottom end
Old Nov 8th 2015, 9:32 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Ecco
Hi. Just out of interest. What were the other main factors that have put you off moving? And are they things that are likely to get better in a few years?

Gracias.
Obviously the high unemployment has always been a concern to me and I have done plenty of reading about this over the course of my research. I don't seem to have any real work skills that are compatible to the area and the risk factor is just too high to chance taking our 8 year old daughter out of familiar surroundings and her school. I recently read on another forum how a British couple with similar circumstances to us took the chance and moved to Spain (Malaga) They have lived there for 8 years and in that time their daughter has struggled to adapt and as a result she has lost all her hair through stress!!! The parents chose to stay there as they were very happy!! I can't understand their way of thinking!!
I'm not saying that the same will happen to our daughter but I'm just not willing to take the chance of gambling with my daughters health be it physical or mental as she is very happy-go-lucky and is doing extremely well in school.

I have also read the success stories from people who have took the chance, up'd and moved to Spain and fallen on their feet.

I'm not saying things will improve in a few years but my research will continue and i think it's best to gain as much knowledge as possible before making such a drastic move abroad.
Old Nov 8th 2015, 10:10 am
Forum Regular

Keith1963 has a reputation beyond reputeKeith1963 has a reputation beyond reputeKeith1963 has a reputation beyond reputeKeith1963 has a reputation beyond reputeKeith1963 has a reputation beyond reputeKeith1963 has a reputation beyond reputeKeith1963 has a reputation beyond reputeKeith1963 has a reputation beyond reputeKeith1963 has a reputation beyond reputeKeith1963 has a reputation beyond reputeKeith1963 has a reputation beyond repute

I would agree with your decision if it's employment that will keep you solvent. Having a guaranteed income here is important. Hoping you will get one is not a good strategy. You could always sink your cash in to a property and then come up with a sensible approach to renting it out ( not always a guarantee ) then trying to secure work over a period of time, making plenty of visits here. This would be a piece by piece approach to moving here, which worked for us over a few years. In every leap forwards there will be setbacks.
I personally wish you luck.
Old Nov 8th 2015, 10:28 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by mfh

FWIW I think you have made the right decision I've been following the thread but refrained from commenting on your proposal as I don't believe its my role in life to deter people from trying new things but as I say you've arrived at what I think is a correct choice.

Good luck to you and I hope your windfall is near the top end rather than the bottom end
Thankyou 😊

We have actually been up all night talking things over and we both agree that this is the best decision too.
I am feeling a little deflated I won't deny as its natural to start painting a picture in your mind as to how things will be and I had done just that, but I also acknowledge that the picture I had painted was probably not how the reality will be.

We have agreed to visit Spain in April next year over the Easter holiday for two weeks, not as your typical tourists, but rent a villa away from tourists areas for two weeks as to experience a little of what to expect if we did live there on a permanent basis. And possibly repeat a few times over a few years as to hopefully gain friendships with other British expatriates and local Spanish people and actually see for ourselves exactly what we are up against if we were to move there.

Thanks for the fingers crossed that we get top end! We're not holding our breath but if it happens I will be doing cartwheels around my living room!! And yes I will post a pic of me doing so on here to prove it!! lol!!

Last edited by St George 1974; Nov 8th 2015 at 10:46 am.
Old Nov 8th 2015, 10:38 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by missile
Never give up on your dreams. I hope you will not look back and regret your decision.
I find regret over those things I did not do harder to accept than the mistakes I have made over the years.
I regret it already!! 😢 lol!

I know where your coming from as I already have a bag full of regrets attached to me! But I have to be sensible for once in my life and take the sensible option which is something I'm not accustomed to hence the bag full of regret!!

Only time will tell if this is yet another addition to my bag 😕
Old Nov 8th 2015, 10:41 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Keith1963
I would agree with your decision if it's employment that will keep you solvent. Having a guaranteed income here is important. Hoping you will get one is not a good strategy. You could always sink your cash in to a property and then come up with a sensible approach to renting it out ( not always a guarantee ) then trying to secure work over a period of time, making plenty of visits here. This would be a piece by piece approach to moving here, which worked for us over a few years. In every leap forwards there will be setbacks.
I personally wish you luck.
Thankyou

This is one of the alternative options we have discussed. It really depends on the total amount we receive in the next few weeks 😏
Old Nov 8th 2015, 10:57 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Fredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond repute

As crazy as it sounds we would actually save money by renting for one year in Spain and that's with no income at all!! The only sacrifice we will be making is our rented property, but, should we return we know we would have no problems finding another rented property in an area of our choice.
Don't give up.

Go for it

If as you say accommodation back in the UK is no problem what have you got to lose?

You may / will regret not ever trying.

However as per my first post do not buy in Spain until you are absolutely sure it is right for you. Houses in Spain are not easy to sell and you could be saddled with it or a large financial loss for a very long time.
Old Nov 8th 2015, 11:08 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Fredbargate
Don't give up.

Go for it

If as you say accommodation back in the UK is no problem what have you got to lose?

You may / will regret not ever trying.

However as per my first post do not buy in Spain until you are absolutely sure it is right for you. Houses in Spain are not easy to sell and you could be saddled with it or a large financial loss for a very long time.
Your not making this any easier for me! Especially with the quotes!! 🙂

Our decision has mainly been made with our daughters well being as our main motivation and we just can't gamble with that.
As mentioned in one of my last posts we still plan on staying in our area of interest as much as we possibly can over the next few years so we're definitely not giving up, more of "testing the waters" I think. Seeing if we like Spain and if Spain likes us.

This idea is definitely not "dead & buried" and certainly will be continued!

Thankyou for your comment.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.