Reload this Page >

Motorcycle advice needed

Motorcycle advice needed

Old Jan 19th 2019, 9:49 pm
Just Joined

Alan2012 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Motorcycle advice needed

Hi all,

I have a 2007 YZF R6 that is registered in the UK. I am looking to mive and work in spain for a few years at least but want to take the bike with me. I have put a lot of time and effort into this bike making modifications such as gilles rearsets chain adjusters and I can prety much garuntee there will not be a cleaner example than mine of this model.

With all this it is worth far more to me than I could ever make selling so this is not an option.

Where do I start and what do I need to do?

thanks.
Old Jan 19th 2019, 10:19 pm
Started off with nothing

missile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Motorcycle advice needed

As long as it has an MOT, tax and insurance to cover unlimited European travel your simplest option is simply ride your bike to Spain and enjoy.
When that runs out you either can return the bike to UK or re-register it in Spain. Unfortunately this may cost more than your 12 year old bike is worth. Be aware comprehensive M/C insurance is expensive in Spain.
Rear sets and chain adjusters should be no problem. You might need to replace the headlight.

Guadalest
Old Jan 20th 2019, 7:06 am
Dxf
BE Forum Addict

Dxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond repute

Hola

The rematriculation MOT test is to ensure that the bike is in original condition. Cosmetic modifications may and I repeat may be allowed but it is up to the inspector on the day. Only you know what exactly you have done and whether your bike is likely to pass.

Davexf
Old Jan 20th 2019, 6:03 pm
TWB
Just Joined

TWB is an unknown quantity at this point

As the op's question was seemingly answered could I expand the thread to ask if bringing bikes to Spain from the UK to sell could be profitable? The cost of registering the bike in Spain would be silly?

Last edited by TWB; Jan 20th 2019 at 6:06 pm.
Old Jan 20th 2019, 7:52 pm
Dxf
BE Forum Addict

Dxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond repute

Hola

Quite a few years ago I had an enquiry from someone who could buy Harley Davidsons for under 10K - the price new here was 15-16K BUT when I enquired about import duty, it was in the region of 9K.

Quite simply, if that were the case (that you could make a profit) then hundreds of existing motorcycle shops would be doing it already

Davexf
Old Jan 20th 2019, 9:29 pm
TWB
Just Joined

Wow 90% import tax.

Last edited by TWB; Jan 20th 2019 at 9:47 pm.
Old Jan 21st 2019, 12:44 pm
Started off with nothing

missile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TWB
As the op's question was seemingly answered could I expand the thread to ask if bringing bikes to Spain from the UK to sell could be profitable? The cost of registering the bike in Spain would be silly?
Not legally, bikes are readily available and dealers margins are low.
Old Jan 21st 2019, 3:06 pm
TWB
Just Joined

Originally Posted by missile
Not legally, bikes are readily available and dealers margins are low.
I was thinking more about bikes that have some miles on the clock.

Import laws are strict in Spain? Not just a case of paying the IVA?