Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Motor Insurance Conundrum - Any ideas?

Wikiposts

Motor Insurance Conundrum - Any ideas?

Old Jun 23rd 2012, 9:21 pm
BE Enthusiast

stevesainty has a reputation beyond reputestevesainty has a reputation beyond reputestevesainty has a reputation beyond reputestevesainty has a reputation beyond reputestevesainty has a reputation beyond reputestevesainty has a reputation beyond reputestevesainty has a reputation beyond reputestevesainty has a reputation beyond reputestevesainty has a reputation beyond reputestevesainty has a reputation beyond reputestevesainty has a reputation beyond repute
Default Motor Insurance Conundrum - Any ideas?

This not exactly a Spanish related problem but is to do with our rapidly approaching move to Spain. I hope that this is ok.

In preparation for our move we have arranged that a friend will buy our car. They were going to change their car anyway so it made perfect sense.

The deal is complicated, though, by the fact that they want to have our car two weeks before we leave for Spain to enable them to have a motoring holiday in France. They registered our car with the ferry company when they bought their online ticket.

We have arranged to use their old car for those two weeks so that we are not without transport.

We obviously have our car insured for both OH and me but what happens when we no longer own the car?

How will we be insured to drive our friend's car?

I think that the simple solution would be for our friend to add us to their insurance as named drivers or for us to change the details on our insurance.

But can we insure a car that we do not own?
Can we have car insurance when we do not own any vehicle?
Can our friend be insured for two vehicles at once?

With the best will in the world we do not want to have our car insured by us when we hand it over to our friend.
Old Jun 23rd 2012, 11:44 pm
BE Enthusiast

EllisG has a reputation beyond reputeEllisG has a reputation beyond reputeEllisG has a reputation beyond reputeEllisG has a reputation beyond reputeEllisG has a reputation beyond reputeEllisG has a reputation beyond reputeEllisG has a reputation beyond reputeEllisG has a reputation beyond reputeEllisG has a reputation beyond reputeEllisG has a reputation beyond reputeEllisG has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Motor Insurance Conundrum - Any ideas?

would it not be better to explain the scenario to the insurance companies involved than ask here ?

Surely everything depends on the terms of your insurance.

People can arrange insurance on any car..ownership of that car is not essential (fortunately I do not have to sell my car to my mechanic when he picks it up from my house and drives it under his policy)
Old Jun 24th 2012, 5:54 am
BE Enthusiast

stevesainty has a reputation beyond reputestevesainty has a reputation beyond reputestevesainty has a reputation beyond reputestevesainty has a reputation beyond reputestevesainty has a reputation beyond reputestevesainty has a reputation beyond reputestevesainty has a reputation beyond reputestevesainty has a reputation beyond reputestevesainty has a reputation beyond reputestevesainty has a reputation beyond reputestevesainty has a reputation beyond repute

Obviously the insurance company would be consulted, but I wanted to be armed with some options before that event.

I thought that maybe other posters may have been in a similar situation before and could offer some remedy.
Old Jun 24th 2012, 7:27 am
BE Forum Addict

pwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond repute

I would have thought you could transfer your insurance to their car and they take new insurance on your old car. but as said in the other post call your insurance and ask the question
Old Jun 24th 2012, 8:25 am
BE Enthusiast

Im_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud of

I think your situation I would have your friend transfer his insurance to your car then cancel yours and take out day insurance to cover you for his for the period before you leave UK.

Perhaps not the cheapest option but clean and simple.

http://www.dayinsure.com