Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Living hand to mouth.

Living hand to mouth.

Old Jun 22nd 2012, 4:31 pm
Just Joined

RyanChapa is an unknown quantity at this point
Exclamation Living hand to mouth.

Having recently moved to Valencia with a job and a huge ambition behind me I have recently and sadly been made redundant 2 weeks after signing a 1 year contract on my apartment . Now I have little savings but really need to find another job ASAP.

The company I previously worked for required no knowledge of the Spanish language so I was very lucky...until now.

Now my question is does anyone have any leads or good sites to find jobs in Spain/Valencia for English speakers? I'm not one to be fussy as to what type of job it is; hell i'd even do bar work. I just need to find a job to be able to pay my rent basically.

Any ideas or hints would be VERY much appreciated as the thought of having to return to UK isn't very appealing plus i'm also tied into a contract on my apartment.

Thank you in advance for ANY ideas.
Old Jun 22nd 2012, 4:36 pm
Banned

MrMckenna is just really niceMrMckenna is just really niceMrMckenna is just really niceMrMckenna is just really niceMrMckenna is just really niceMrMckenna is just really niceMrMckenna is just really niceMrMckenna is just really nice
Default Re: Living hand to mouth.

I couldn't suggest anything to be honest.

Hope things work out for you though.
Old Jun 22nd 2012, 4:42 pm
¿Dónde estoy?

lynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by RyanChapa
Having recently moved to Valencia with a job and a huge ambition behind me I have recently and sadly been made redundant 2 weeks after signing a 1 year contract on my apartment . Now I have little savings but really need to find another job ASAP.

The company I previously worked for required no knowledge of the Spanish language so I was very lucky...until now.

Now my question is does anyone have any leads or good sites to find jobs in Spain/Valencia for English speakers? I'm not one to be fussy as to what type of job it is; hell i'd even do bar work. I just need to find a job to be able to pay my rent basically.

Any ideas or hints would be VERY much appreciated as the thought of having to return to UK isn't very appealing plus i'm also tied into a contract on my apartment.

I can't think of any leads I could give you, sadly

but you're not tied into the rental contract - you only have to give a month notice
Old Jun 22nd 2012, 4:45 pm
Not Banned (yet)

steviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond repute

What type of work did you do at that company?

This job looks very irregular, but may be worth looking into

http://www.thinkspain.com/job-in-spain/9363

We are an event managing company, and are looking for people to take our groups out.
Most groups are stags and hens, so this would include taking them around bars in the evenings (weekends) in Valencia. Also to some activities during the day.

You need to be friendly, sociable, available weekends (evenings would be usually 9pm to 2am) and happy to take stag and hen groups out.

You need to have a high level of English, and a medium level of Spanish, and preferably know Valencia nightlife areas (Carmen, Canovas, the port) although this isn't obligatory.
also this company seems to be setting on folk, but you need to be good at php web development (and I suspect at Spanish - another reason anyone working in Spain should learn the language asap - you never know when it may become essential)

http://chicisimo.es/buscamos-talento

Last edited by steviedeluxe; Jun 22nd 2012 at 4:49 pm.
Old Jun 22nd 2012, 4:56 pm
Banned

JLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond repute

Are you entitled to dole, because at least you health cover will continue, I know it wont solve the immidiate job problem but it is a weight off.
Old Jun 22nd 2012, 5:01 pm
Not Banned (yet)

steviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond repute

You say you don't speak Spanish - but do you by any chance speak French? If so, look at the following
http://www.infojobs.net/valencia/sal...b4fea782d50991
Old Jun 22nd 2012, 5:11 pm
Just Joined

Unfortunately I don't speak anything but English at the moment!

I had plans to start learning Spanish at the begining of next month, but because this job has fallen through I'm not sure I can even afford to live now.

My previous employment was in telesales, however the company has gone bump... does anyone know of any jobs for English speakers in the same field?

Thanks for all of your fast replies so far, it really is appreciated.
Old Jun 22nd 2012, 5:14 pm
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

I had plans to start learning Spanish at the begining of next month, but because this job has fallen through I'm not sure I can even afford to live now.

My previous employment was in telesales, however the company has gone bump... does anyone know of any jobs for English speakers in the same field?

Did you read the comment, that you are not tied to the 12 month contract?
Old Jun 22nd 2012, 5:15 pm
¿Dónde estoy?

lynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond repute

there are lots of telesales companies on the CDS.........

and various leads here for Valencia

http://jobs.justlanded.com/en/Spain_...ng-Telesales/1
Old Jun 24th 2012, 12:51 pm
Just Joined

I saw your comment about having a month notice, but that really isn't an option as I'd lose so much money just on my deposit!

I've been looking through alot of sites, like thinkspain.com, justlanded.com etc and there have been very few jobs.

If any one else has any useful information I would be very very grateful.

Thanks again!
Old Jun 24th 2012, 2:20 pm
Retired and loving it!

snikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond repute

I saw your comment about having a month notice, but that really isn't an option as I'd lose so much money just on my deposit!

I've been looking through alot of sites, like thinkspain.com, justlanded.com etc and there have been very few jobs.

If any one else has any useful information I would be very very grateful.

Thanks again!
Your deposit should only have been one months rent - any more and you were conned.

Having had a (spanish) employment contract, and presumably having worked here for a few months, you should be entitled to some paro (dole money). Make enquiries, it's best to get this route started straight away.
Old Jun 24th 2012, 2:27 pm
Banned

JLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by snikpoh
Your deposit should only have been one months rent - any more and you were conned.

Having had a (spanish) employment contract, and presumably having worked here for a few months, you should be entitled to some paro (dole money). Make enquiries, it's best to get this route started straight away.
You need to have worked for a least a full year to qualify for dole.
Old Jun 25th 2012, 7:46 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

cricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by snikpoh

Beyond the Costas and especially in the cities it is normal to give 1 month deposit and 2-3 months fianza

There is no reason to say the OP would lose this by giving notice. Although on a proper legal Spanish rental contract the minimum term for a tenant is 1 year which roles on up to 5 years if the tenant wishes.

As for the OP's job problem. I'm amazed that you actually had a job in Valencia that didnt require Spanish.
Old Jun 25th 2012, 8:17 am
Retired and loving it!

snikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cricketman
Beyond the Costas and especially in the cities it is normal to give 1 month deposit and 2-3 months fianza

There is no reason to say the OP would lose this by giving notice. Although on a proper legal Spanish rental contract the minimum term for a tenant is 1 year which roles on up to 5 years if the tenant wishes.

As for the OP's job problem. I'm amazed that you actually had a job in Valencia that didnt require Spanish.
OK, thanks for the update.

This is true, but the tenant ALWAYS has a 'get-out' clause stating one months notice. This is true of any legal Spanish rental contract.