Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Motability car!

Motability car!

Old Nov 1st 2008, 8:57 am
Just Joined

Shaz52 is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Motability car!

Hi, Just found this site what a great idea!! I wondered if anyone out there could help..We are hoping to come over to Spain next year for 6 months Nerja area, taking a rental home and having a look around with the view to moving over in 2010..The problem that we seem to have is our car, it is a Motobility car and as I uderstand the rules we can only stay 180 days?? Does anyone have any more info they could give us please..Don't want to risk getting it towed away etc as it offically belongs to Motability...Thanks in advance for any help..
Old Nov 1st 2008, 10:44 am
Forum Regular

SHERGAR has much to be proud ofSHERGAR has much to be proud ofSHERGAR has much to be proud ofSHERGAR has much to be proud ofSHERGAR has much to be proud ofSHERGAR has much to be proud ofSHERGAR has much to be proud ofSHERGAR has much to be proud ofSHERGAR has much to be proud ofSHERGAR has much to be proud ofSHERGAR has much to be proud of
Default Re: Motability car!

When you have four or more posts on here I will be able to send you a private message with more info.

Welcome here and hope to hear more from you.

Old Nov 1st 2008, 11:25 am
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

If it`s a lease car make sure you are allowed to take it out the UK, also check the insurance knows you are leaving the UK for 6 months.
Then there is the Spanish residency law if you are in Spain for more than 3 months.
Old Nov 1st 2008, 12:56 pm
Just Joined

Hi again. One of the problems I think we are going to have is hubby is disabled and I dont drive, the car has special adaptions for his needs, so buying another car really isn't an option, we have checked with DLA and he can have his DLA paid in another EU country as it was awarded before 1992, don't seem to get any sense out of Motabilty, which was why I wondered if anyone else is in the same situation as us
Old Nov 1st 2008, 3:12 pm
Forum Regular

Ex-pat has a reputation beyond reputeEx-pat has a reputation beyond reputeEx-pat has a reputation beyond reputeEx-pat has a reputation beyond reputeEx-pat has a reputation beyond reputeEx-pat has a reputation beyond reputeEx-pat has a reputation beyond reputeEx-pat has a reputation beyond reputeEx-pat has a reputation beyond reputeEx-pat has a reputation beyond reputeEx-pat has a reputation beyond repute

You are allowed to take the car out of the UK for 6 months. You will need to inform Motability, they will inform you how to go about acquiring correct insurance etc.

You will have to be in UK for minimum of 3 months before you can take car out again for 6 months.

You will be able to receive DLA, but ask about what happens when your OH reaches the age of 60.
Old Nov 2nd 2008, 7:40 am
Just Joined

Thank you so much for the replys. So as I understand it we have to become resident after 90 days even though this is a long extended holiday, and then register the car to spanish plates by law, which we obviously cant do as its a motability car, but legally we can take the car to another EU country for 6 months providing paperwork ins etc, is in order. I am even more confused now We have already decided when we do move over on a permanant basis we would buy a spanish car, and pay for any adaptions ourselves, but for our 6 month stay bring our UK car...Any suggestions anyone?
Old Nov 2nd 2008, 8:58 am
Forum Regular

SHERGAR has much to be proud ofSHERGAR has much to be proud ofSHERGAR has much to be proud ofSHERGAR has much to be proud ofSHERGAR has much to be proud ofSHERGAR has much to be proud ofSHERGAR has much to be proud ofSHERGAR has much to be proud ofSHERGAR has much to be proud ofSHERGAR has much to be proud ofSHERGAR has much to be proud of

If you post once more I will be able to send you a private message.

Your last message is not exactly correct.
Old Nov 2nd 2008, 9:14 am
Just Joined

I seem at the moment not getting anything right lol thank you..
Old Nov 2nd 2008, 9:30 am
Banned

betris has a reputation beyond reputebetris has a reputation beyond reputebetris has a reputation beyond reputebetris has a reputation beyond reputebetris has a reputation beyond reputebetris has a reputation beyond reputebetris has a reputation beyond reputebetris has a reputation beyond reputebetris has a reputation beyond reputebetris has a reputation beyond reputebetris has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Shaz52
Thank you so much for the replys. So as I understand it we have to become resident after 90 days even though this is a long extended holiday, and then register the car to spanish plates by law, which we obviously cant do as its a motability car, but legally we can take the car to another EU country for 6 months providing paperwork ins etc, is in order. I am even more confused now We have already decided when we do move over on a permanant basis we would buy a spanish car, and pay for any adaptions ourselves, but for our 6 month stay bring our UK car...Any suggestions anyone?
put it this way you may understand better .I think the laws of the EU are 6months but spain has made its own seperate rule up (90 days)
Old Nov 2nd 2008, 10:24 am

poshnbucks has disabled reputation

The following taken from...http://www.motability.co.uk/main.cfm?Type=CCUZ

If you're thinking of taking your Motability car on holiday with you abroad, you will need to obtain a VE103 form from the RAC ( this is confirmation that you have permission to take the car abroad). You can call the RAC on 0800 731 3310.
You should also arrange breakdown cover and contact RSA Motability to confirm your Insurance cover.
If you are going to live abroad
In order to establish if you can take your car with you when you move abroad, Motability just need to check a few things.
Which Allowance do you use to pay for your Motability Car? (please select)

War Pensioner Mobility Supplement
Higher Rate Mobility Component

if its War Pensioners Mobility Supplement

It may be possible to arrange a 'modified agreement'.

Before contacting Motability Operations to discuss, you should arrange:

* a VE103 (from the RAC
* a green card (from R&SAM)
* Additional European Breakdown Cover.

Re Higher rate Mobility Component

Will your allowance continue to be paid when you are living abroad? (This needs to be confirmed with the Department for Works and Pensions)

If the answer is Yes

it may be possible to arrange a 'modified agreement'.

Before contacting Motability Operations to discuss, you should arrange:

* a VE103 (from the RAC
* a green card (from R&SAM)
* Additional European Breakdown Cover.

If the Answer is No

You will not be able to take your Motability Car with you when you move abroad.

If you are going to be moving before the natural end of your agreement you should look at information on Early Termination.

The above of course does not cover Spanish law which has been touched on above but hope these points assist.More details are on the quoted website hereon.
The best of luck.

Last edited by poshnbucks; Nov 2nd 2008 at 10:27 am.