Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Mortgage? Get those current account commissions back!

Mortgage? Get those current account commissions back!

Old Nov 7th 2010, 5:50 pm
Forum Regular

Checkala is just really niceCheckala is just really niceCheckala is just really niceCheckala is just really niceCheckala is just really niceCheckala is just really niceCheckala is just really niceCheckala is just really niceCheckala is just really niceCheckala is just really niceCheckala is just really nice
Default Mortgage? Get those current account commissions back!

If you have a Spanish mortgage and have been forced to open a current account to service the mortgage AND you don't need the account for anything else because you have an existing account in anothe bank READ ON.

The bank is NOT ALLOWED to charge commissions and gastos since you have been FORCED to run the account.

I have made formal complaints to two major banks and obtained FULL REFUNDS! The process takes 6-12 months because when you complain the bank will probably laugh at you and ignore you - so - (i) formal letter to the bank's Atención al Cliente (registered with acuso de recibo - to make sure you have proof of receipt) (ii) wait 60 days (iii) write to the Defensor del Cliente for the bank in question. Unlike England, each bank appoints their own onbudsman. In both my cases, it was settled at that stage. However you can still go one step further - the Banco de España!

Make sure you don't spend more in stamps, ink paper and petrol than the charges claimed!