Monkfish

Old Aug 13th 2006, 10:05 am
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Monkfish

Originally Posted by YMF
Hi
Merluza is Hake, Tio Pepe publish a book on Spanish seafood, I dont have a copy but have been told it is very good.
This Food Guide gives translations for all foods but looks useful

I did have a fish specific one but cannot find it at present.

Hope this helps a little

Yvonne
Thanks for the link YMF ... theres a restaurant we go to outside Oliva which has no Spanish speakers, no English menu and its always a voyage of discovery so that will help
Old Aug 13th 2006, 1:37 pm
Forum Regular

BigD is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by glynis
thanks everyone, will have a look for it but if it´s expensive may give it a miss. I have been disappointed with the while fish I have bought recently which seems
very watery. Love sardines but so messy to clean.
I like you, was fed up getting watery fish.
I now buy frozen white fish halibut or hake and it is a lot better more solid when cooked.
The only other thing I can highly recommend is the sworfish it is to die for,
but not quite as expensive as monkfish.
Try it ! I am sure you will like it, it is a very rich tasting fish.
Regards
Old Aug 14th 2006, 8:38 am
BE Forum Addict

Lynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond repute

Monkfish which has been frozen is horrible, it completely ruins the texture and it becomes mushy and tasteless. I love monkfish but would not buy it unless it is fresh. If I am served it in a restaurant I can tell immediately if it has been frozen.
Old Aug 14th 2006, 11:59 pm
gfx
Just Joined

gfx is an unknown quantity at this point

Can anyone tell me if it is available in Spain and what is the Spanish name?
I love Dorada and can cook it loads of different ways but have a lot of recipes for monkfish which I would like to try.
Hello Glynis, Monkfish or Rape is also called Pixin (unfortunately pronounced Pisch-in) here in Asturias.

Regards
Old Aug 15th 2006, 7:42 am
Not Junior but not Senior

poollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to behold

Has anyone tried deep fried Oysters... they serve them at the marina restaurant in the old port here and they are delicious !!! The texture is a bit like.....turn away all you squeamish ones.....brains.....which were a childhood treat rolled in breadcrumbs and fried gently. Do they sell them.. brains .. in Spain ??? Impossible to find in Britain.. and perhaps wise not to eat them here.
Old Aug 15th 2006, 11:30 am
BE Forum Addict

Chiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by poollounger
Has anyone tried deep fried Oysters... they serve them at the marina restaurant in the old port here and they are delicious !!! The texture is a bit like.....turn away all you squeamish ones.....brains.....which were a childhood treat rolled in breadcrumbs and fried gently. Do they sell them.. brains .. in Spain ??? Impossible to find in Britain.. and perhaps wise not to eat them here.
When you say the old port, do you mean Sancti Petri and if so what are they called?
Old Aug 15th 2006, 3:04 pm
Not Junior but not Senior

poollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to behold

When you say the old port, do you mean Sancti Petri and if so what are they called?
Yes the old port at Sancti P. The Club Nautico.. right opposite the marina, not the fishermens association. You walk through a bar and then into the restaurant, where a log fire blazes in the winter. Osterino frite....not cheap but it was a birthday treat and I am afraid they were all gobbled down with very little decorum..
Old Aug 15th 2006, 6:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

Chiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond repute

Yes the old port at Sancti P. The Club Nautico.. right opposite the marina, not the fishermens association. You walk through a bar and then into the restaurant, where a log fire blazes in the winter. Osterino frite....not cheap but it was a birthday treat and I am afraid they were all gobbled down with very little decorum..
I can´t imagine that from you poollounger!!!! Will try though.
Old Sep 3rd 2006, 11:56 am
Just Joined

CHARLIECHELPS is a name known to allCHARLIECHELPS is a name known to allCHARLIECHELPS is a name known to allCHARLIECHELPS is a name known to allCHARLIECHELPS is a name known to allCHARLIECHELPS is a name known to allCHARLIECHELPS is a name known to allCHARLIECHELPS is a name known to allCHARLIECHELPS is a name known to allCHARLIECHELPS is a name known to allCHARLIECHELPS is a name known to all
Cool Re: Monkfish

hi
years ago before monkfish became fashionable it was used as scampi.
then chefs got to using it and now it is highly valued in the catering trade for its firm white flesh and robust meaty texture.
in spain as already said it is known as "rape"
and if you got to the covered market in chiclana town, or the wholesaler on the way to the old port it is relatively inexpensive 3/4 euros a kilo
when you buy it you can easily remove the one central bone or for bbqing or roasting leave the bone in just trim up the sinew and excess skin
to bbq just simple marinade with olive oil garlic and any other flavours u like for a good couple of hours before cooking then simply bbq as you would a piece of meat, fininsh with a fresh squeeze of lemon,, outstanding!!
to roast apply the same principles once cooked let rest for 5 to 10 mins then simply remove the bone and enjoy
cooking on the bones adds far more flavour
regards a chef!!
Old Sep 3rd 2006, 3:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by CHARLIECHELPS
hi
years ago before monkfish became fashionable it was used as scampi.
then chefs got to using it and now it is highly valued in the catering trade for its firm white flesh and robust meaty texture.
in spain as already said it is known as "rape"
and if you got to the covered market in chiclana town, or the wholesaler on the way to the old port it is relatively inexpensive 3/4 euros a kilo
when you buy it you can easily remove the one central bone or for bbqing or roasting leave the bone in just trim up the sinew and excess skin
to bbq just simple marinade with olive oil garlic and any other flavours u like for a good couple of hours before cooking then simply bbq as you would a piece of meat, fininsh with a fresh squeeze of lemon,, outstanding!!
to roast apply the same principles once cooked let rest for 5 to 10 mins then simply remove the bone and enjoy
cooking on the bones adds far more flavour
regards a chef!!
Can you buy relatively small amounts from this wholesaler and where exactly is it?
Old Sep 3rd 2006, 3:39 pm
Forum Regular

Arco-Iris has a reputation beyond reputeArco-Iris has a reputation beyond reputeArco-Iris has a reputation beyond reputeArco-Iris has a reputation beyond reputeArco-Iris has a reputation beyond reputeArco-Iris has a reputation beyond reputeArco-Iris has a reputation beyond reputeArco-Iris has a reputation beyond reputeArco-Iris has a reputation beyond reputeArco-Iris has a reputation beyond reputeArco-Iris has a reputation beyond repute
Cool Re: Monkfish

What is Merluza??? perhaps someone could post a list of fish with their English equivalents...dictionaries are not always so helpful. And my local venta has venado transalated as veal when I believe it is really venison.. I always thought it was too dark and flavoursome.
Here's a list taken from Janet Mendel's book, Cooking in Spain ISBN 84-921229-1-9, pub. Santana:

Sardine - sardina
Mackerel - caballa
Bonita - used for several members of the tuna family
Tuna - atun
Red bream - besugo
Lemon sole - limanda
Brill - rombo, remol
Plaice - solla
Flounder - platija
Sole - lenguado
Monkfish - rape
John Dory - [pez de San Pedro, gallo
Red mullet - salmonete
Grey mullet - lisa
Sea bass - lubina
Grouper - mero
Hake - merluza, pijota
Cod - bacalao
Haddock - eglefino
Whiting - merlan
Pollock - abadejo
Swordfish - pez espadas
Rosada, never found fresh, from coast of S. America and frozen at sea.
Skate - raya
Eel - anguiila, congrio is conger eel and morena, the moray.

Hope this is enough. Great place to go to see many of these is Cadiz fish market.

The book I quoted is full of gold nuggets - meats, veg. herbs, spices with Spanish names, plus loads of recipes.
Old Sep 3rd 2006, 3:42 pm
Forum Regular

Arco-Iris has a reputation beyond reputeArco-Iris has a reputation beyond reputeArco-Iris has a reputation beyond reputeArco-Iris has a reputation beyond reputeArco-Iris has a reputation beyond reputeArco-Iris has a reputation beyond reputeArco-Iris has a reputation beyond reputeArco-Iris has a reputation beyond reputeArco-Iris has a reputation beyond reputeArco-Iris has a reputation beyond reputeArco-Iris has a reputation beyond repute

PS.....venado is venison
Old Sep 3rd 2006, 5:04 pm
Just Joined

CHARLIECHELPS is a name known to allCHARLIECHELPS is a name known to allCHARLIECHELPS is a name known to allCHARLIECHELPS is a name known to allCHARLIECHELPS is a name known to allCHARLIECHELPS is a name known to allCHARLIECHELPS is a name known to allCHARLIECHELPS is a name known to allCHARLIECHELPS is a name known to allCHARLIECHELPS is a name known to allCHARLIECHELPS is a name known to all

Can you buy relatively small amounts from this wholesaler and where exactly is it?
the wholesaler is first left on the roundabout after popeyes rest, begins with e huge sign on right hand side
or small amounts defo at market daily in chiclana
Old Sep 3rd 2006, 5:07 pm

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

Her book is brilliant but she has missed one fish that is becoming much more common.

It is Rodaballo which is Turbot.

However the Turbot you now see is all farmed in Galicia and is much smaller than the "wild" ones. Typically small enough for one person, it is relatively cheap at around 12 euros a kilo.

More and more restuarant now serve it and it is a really nice fish.
Old Sep 3rd 2006, 6:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Fred James
Her book is brilliant but she has missed one fish that is becoming much more common.

It is Rodaballo which is Turbot.

However the Turbot you now see is all farmed in Galicia and is much smaller than the "wild" ones. Typically small enough for one person, it is relatively cheap at around 12 euros a kilo.

More and more restuarant now serve it and it is a really nice fish.
I had a white fish today which began with a p. It was really rubbery, not particularly nice.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.