Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Money from UK wife

Money from UK wife

Old Nov 22nd 2017, 10:49 am
Just Joined

michael4477 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Money from UK wife

My wife is a UK resident and i her husband is a Spanish resident, we have been separated for over 20 years and still good friends, over the past 20 years i have financially supported her, she is now in a position to repay me some of what i have paid her to the tune of approx €20,000.
As a married couple can she transfer this money to my Spanish bank without me declaring it on my next tax return ?
If for some strange reason this has to be declared what would be the Andalucia tax rate for this transaction ?
Old Nov 22nd 2017, 11:18 am

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Money from UK wife

Hi and a warm welcome to the Spanish forum on BE. Myself and Fred James are the moderators for the Spanish forums whilst myself and BEVS moderate Europe. Please read the Site Rules http://britishexpats.com/site-rules/ adhere to them so that the site runs smoothly. Moderators are there to ensure that the rules of BE are maintained. This is so that members gain the information that they are looking for and find their experiences on the forums to be friendly and worthwhile.

Problems and complaints should always be addressed to a moderator who will look into the matter and deal with it efficiently and fairly. Our members who post in the Spain Forums are usually friendly and helpful with a wealth of knowledge about the issues of living in Spain. I hope that you enjoy your time participating in the forums.

Please let me know if you need any further help.
Old Nov 25th 2017, 8:37 am
BE Enthusiast

stevesainty has a reputation beyond reputestevesainty has a reputation beyond reputestevesainty has a reputation beyond reputestevesainty has a reputation beyond reputestevesainty has a reputation beyond reputestevesainty has a reputation beyond reputestevesainty has a reputation beyond reputestevesainty has a reputation beyond reputestevesainty has a reputation beyond reputestevesainty has a reputation beyond reputestevesainty has a reputation beyond repute

I would imagine that if you have a modicum of proof that you "lent" her the money, ie. bank statements that show transfers, then the repayment of the loan should not need to be declared for tax purposes.
Tax returns are to declare income, and the only income that may come into play with regard to loans would be any interest added.
In Spain there is such a thing as gift tax though which is why I mentioned the "proof" of the loan.
The Agencia Tributaria would not know anything about a prive arrangement anyway, so if your conscience is clear that these monies are solely a repayment you have nothing to worry about, IMHO.
Old Nov 25th 2017, 11:25 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

bobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond repute

Steves advice sounds good to me also could your wife not split the payments in case say a 20,000 euro may trigger an amount that bank inform tax people of a large deposit. As I can't see that tax department have the ability to monitor every bank account in Spain. But banks may be duty bound to inform deposits over X amount thereby flagging you up? And questions asked. I don't know if this is the case just a thought.
Old Nov 25th 2017, 1:30 pm
BE Enthusiast

lurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond repute

Last time I enquired at Santander bank, it was 10,000 euros and above that 'rang the bell'. Its to do with Money laundering regs, and nothing personal!!!!

Enquire at your bank before you go any further. If over the 'limit' they will ask for written proof in the form of invoices / Solicitors accounts/ Affidavits etc. etc.
Old Nov 25th 2017, 1:55 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bobd22
Steves advice sounds good to me also could your wife not split the payments in case say a 20,000 euro may trigger an amount that bank inform tax people of a large deposit. As I can't see that tax department have the ability to monitor every bank account in Spain. But banks may be duty bound to inform deposits over X amount thereby flagging you up? And questions asked. I don't know if this is the case just a thought.
It is highly likely that banks are looking for patterns of recurring transactions less than the threshold amount, so, say, splitting £20,000 into 4×£5,000 might not only be ineffective, it could be argued to be an attempt to circumvent the rules, which would make a "failure to disclose" issue even greater. Given the almost unlimited power of computers to trawl data, this is a very real risk.

Last edited by Pulaski; Nov 25th 2017 at 2:02 pm.
Old Nov 25th 2017, 3:00 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

bobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
It is highly likely that banks are looking for patterns of recurring transactions less than the threshold amount, so, say, splitting £20,000 into 4×£5,000 might not only be ineffective, it could be argued to be an attempt to circumvent the rules, which would make a "failure to disclose" issue even greater. Given the almost unlimited power of computers to trawl data, this is a very real risk.
Yes that's probably true but then the wife could spread the payments over a period of time surely.
Old Nov 25th 2017, 3:02 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by lurchio
Last time I enquired at Santander bank, it was 10,000 euros and above that 'rang the bell'. Its to do with Money laundering regs, and nothing personal!!!!
I thought it was around that amount
Old Nov 26th 2017, 8:42 am
BE Forum Addict

Rotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond repute

Put it in a UK account and use a Caxton card or the likes to draw it out in Spain as and when you need it.
Old Nov 30th 2017, 8:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

Loafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Divorcing my UK wife

Originally Posted by michael4477
We have been separated for over 20 years, during that time my wife has lived in the UK and i have lived in Spain as a resident, we married in the UK 1968.
The divorce settlement will demand me to continue to pay her a monthly allowance and some of her utility bills for life, in return she has agreed to liquidate some joint investments that are in her name only and pay me my share.
My question, will any payment she makes to me be subject to Spanish tax, this arrangement will be included in the divorce papers which is being produced by my Spanish lawyer which will be sent to the UK to be notarised together with a POA.
Simple answer is "Yes" - depends on how much and what level of income you already have. Under Spanish law ( provided it is a judicial sentence ) the person who "pays the pension" is allowed to deduct this from their gross income before paying tax and the recipient has the obligation to declare the income and pay the appropriate personal income tax.

Last edited by Loafing Along; Nov 30th 2017 at 8:56 pm. Reason: spelling
Old Nov 30th 2017, 10:09 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Divorcing my UK wife

Originally Posted by Loafing Along
Simple answer is "Yes" - depends on how much and what level of income you already have. Under Spanish law ( provided it is a judicial sentence ) the person who "pays the pension" is allowed to deduct this from their gross income before paying tax and the recipient has the obligation to declare the income and pay the appropriate personal income tax.
Moved this post from a duplicate thread which was deleted, as it contains some helpful advice (thx Loafing Along).

OP - please don't keep opening duplicate threads, thanks.