Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Money to invest

Money to invest

Old May 5th 2016, 3:00 pm
Just Joined

rose2015 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Money to invest

Hi, we have around 100,000 euros to invest. Don´t want to invest in property. We are resident in Spain. Does anyone know if any of the Spanish banks are offering any good investment deals where we could get a monthly return on our 100,000 investment. Any one with any experience of such things. Thank you.
Old May 5th 2016, 3:18 pm
VFR
BE Forum Addict

VFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Money to invest

No doubt your post will be picked up by a number of Nigerian investment experts who will be busily looking up "anything" that you have ever posted online to tailor their advice/help so you can invest with confidence.

Mind you I could be wrong (please take care)
Old May 5th 2016, 3:34 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

cricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rose2015
Hi, we have around 100,000 euros to invest. Don´t want to invest in property. We are resident in Spain. Does anyone know if any of the Spanish banks are offering any good investment deals where we could get a monthly return on our 100,000 investment. Any one with any experience of such things. Thank you.
Bonds in Euros are only giving about 1% interest per year at the moment. And these are usually annual

You can invest in a number of share products according to your levels of risks. Most banks offer these. Income will be yearly, there are annual fees and your capital is at risk

I personally prefer to buy shares directly. It is so easy nowadays online that it cuts out the middle man, very low fees etc
Old May 5th 2016, 3:36 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rose2015
Not sure about Spain, but there doesn't seem to be too much out there in Europe. Checked through German website and the best offer was 1.7% through Portuguese Bank. Probably better off to enjoy the money and live while you can, or invest a little in different things (Bamboo, Forestry etc.), or shares.
Old May 5th 2016, 5:22 pm
VFR
BE Forum Addict

VFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond repute

Gold is better is it not ?
Old May 5th 2016, 6:04 pm
Retired and loving it!

snikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by VFR
Gold is better is it not ?
... only as a long-term investment.

If the OP would like to pm me, I would be happy to share my details/experiences and those of my IFA here in Spain.
Old May 9th 2016, 7:57 am
Just Joined

michaellavin is an unknown quantity at this point

Full disclosure - I am a financial adviser but I hate sales pitches as much as anyone on forums, so I am just trying to offer some honest tips.

There are 3 problems with banks:

1) they are normally tied to their own solutions, which are often not the best ones

2) their advisers are heavily squeezed on sales targets which makes it hard for them to put your interests first

3) they often have a high staff turnover so the chances of dealing with the same person that sets up your investment over the following years are slim.

(I say all this as someone who started off working in this sort of environment!)

As a general tip, assuming that this money is important to you, I would avoid speculating on individual shares or alternative investments like student accommodation or forestry. I have seen too many of these investments go wrong. Stick to well known regulated companies with long track records - very boring I know but exciting investments should only be used for money you can afford to lose.

Never assume an adviser is either independent or highly qualified. If they are not, you will have to bring it up because they won't! If it's an expat adviser the UK standard is called 'level 4 qualified'. I strongly suggest going as far as politely asking to see their certificates. I know this may sound rude but if they are qualified they will be pleased to show you... if they are not, then you need to know before you waste too much time (or more to the point money).

Another important thing to look out for is whether an investment is "UCITS" - this means it is regulated in Europe. Confusingly "UCIS" means it is not regulated - only in financial services could they make it so easy for people to confuse the two!

Anyway hope this helps. Sadly financial advice for expats is a bit like a hazard awareness test - the more you can keep things dull and straightforward the better!
Old May 9th 2016, 8:17 am

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by michaellavin
Full disclosure - I am a financial adviser but I hate sales pitches as much as anyone on forums, so I am just trying to offer some honest tips.

Anyway hope this helps. Sadly financial advice for expats is a bit like a hazard awareness test - the more you can keep things dull and straightforward the better!
Hi and a warm welcome to the Spanish forum on BE. Myself and Fred James are the moderators for the Spanish forums whilst BEVS moderates Europe. Moderators are there to ensure that the site runs smoothly within the rules of BE. This is so that members gain the information that they are looking for and find their experiences on the forums to be friendly and worthwhile.

Problems and complaints should always be addressed to a moderator who will look into the matter and deal with it efficiently and fairly. Our members who post in the Spain Forums are usually friendly and helpful with a wealth of knowledge about the issues of living in Spain. I hope that you enjoy your time participating in the forums.

Please let me know if you need any further help.

Rosemary
Old May 9th 2016, 8:24 am

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

Please read the site rules at the top of the page especially regarding advertising so that you do not run into difficulties. Whilst we appreciate you offering helpful advice such as you have in your first post I must tell you that any posts that appear to be advertising will be removed. So any form of sales pitch is not allowed, no advertising or pushing of your involvement within the industry but straightforward information will be welcomed.

Rosemary
Old May 9th 2016, 8:45 am
Just Joined

michaellavin is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks Rosemary - I agree with the forum rules and understand why they are in place... it's not the classified ads sections.

I use a number of forums and nothing disrupts decent conversations more than self promotion posts.

If I can offer help with any financial tips or anything else for that matter I will post, without expecting anything in return other than when I need some help and start a thread, hopefully someone will spare a few minutes to help me out too!
Old May 9th 2016, 9:54 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

cricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond repute

Stick to well known regulated companies with long track records - very boring I know but exciting investments should only be used for money you can afford to lose.
I agree with your advice, especially about banks

Just a note, that if you use well known regulated companies for share portfolios then you could see the majority of your profits eaten away be fees

The first thing the OP needs to ask themselves is why they want to invest

If they want a guaranteed monthly income then some kind of bond is pretty much the only option

FWIW. My approach is the following:
10% = keep for cashflow/liquidity
15% = in risky shares I think could take off and make me very rich quickly!
25% = small property investment for monthly income
50% = long term bonds paying above rate of inflation

Please note that the downside to my investment choices is that I can´t afford a deposit on a family house until my bonds mature! Something I didnt foresee wanted a few years ago.

There is no perfect investment