Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Modern languages in decline

Wikiposts

Modern languages in decline

Old Aug 16th 2012, 9:12 pm
On the road again.

Dick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Modern languages in decline

Originally Posted by lynnxa
OK to answer your question

an apostrophe is used to show possession, as in Fred's DVD - the apostrophe shows that the DVD belongs to Fred

or, an apostrophe is used in a contraction (putting two words together) to replace the missing letter, as in it's his DVD, so the apostrophe replaces the i from it is

an apostrophe is never needed to make something plural

so......... two DVD's for 5€ is wrong - there is neither possession nor a contraction, it is simply more than one DVD (plural) so the apostrophe isn't required - it should be two DVDs 5€
Well explained and simple enough really when you think about it.
Old Aug 16th 2012, 9:15 pm
¿Dónde estoy?

lynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dick Dasterdly
you wouldn't think it was simple from the chalk board menus in most of the Brit bars around here
Old Aug 16th 2012, 9:46 pm
BE Enthusiast

Rambling Rose is a glorious beacon of lightRambling Rose is a glorious beacon of lightRambling Rose is a glorious beacon of lightRambling Rose is a glorious beacon of lightRambling Rose is a glorious beacon of lightRambling Rose is a glorious beacon of lightRambling Rose is a glorious beacon of lightRambling Rose is a glorious beacon of lightRambling Rose is a glorious beacon of lightRambling Rose is a glorious beacon of lightRambling Rose is a glorious beacon of light

I suspect IT might be a whole different language then

I don't think it's controversial at all - they are the grammar rules
IT is a whole different language but if a programmer makes a mistake the program runs incorrectly or not at all.
These days since most people don't get taught english grammar anymore (thus making it more difficult to learn another language) we are all supposed to ignore mistakes because we should be able to guess what was meant. If you pick someone up on their spelling or grammar it's just being pedantic. So I don't know how children are supposed to learn.

Here's a classic from my next door neighbours:

Him "so I gave him 5 euros and said 'Derecha mate'. E just looked at me like I was stupid or something."
Her "wot was wrong with that? 'All right mate' that's universal innit?"
Old Aug 16th 2012, 10:06 pm
¿Dónde estoy?

lynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rambling Rose
IT is a whole different language but if a programmer makes a mistake the program runs incorrectly or not at all.
These days since most people don't get taught english grammar anymore (thus making it more difficult to learn another language) we are all supposed to ignore mistakes because we should be able to guess what was meant. If you pick someone up on their spelling or grammar it's just being pedantic. So I don't know how children are supposed to learn.

Here's a classic from my next door neighbours:

Him "so I gave him 5 euros and said 'Derecha mate'. E just looked at me like I was stupid or something."
Her "wot was wrong with that? 'All right mate' that's universal innit?"

Do they teach the proper use of apostrophes in primary schools in the UK now? I know it's on the GCSE requirements because in recent years I have tutored a few kids for English GCSE - the GCSE textbooks have sections about it

maybe they just leave it too late

I DO pick my kids up if they make mistakes with their English - but I wouldn't dream of doing so to a perfect stranger on a forum - as so many sadly seem to

strangely - or maybe not - my kids don't have a problem with apostrophes

maybe it's because Spanish is pretty much their first written language & they have learned written English almost as a foreign language - the Spanish people I've taught never seem to have a problem either - contractions are taught pretty much from day one, as are plurals
Old Aug 16th 2012, 10:20 pm
BE Enthusiast

Rambling Rose is a glorious beacon of lightRambling Rose is a glorious beacon of lightRambling Rose is a glorious beacon of lightRambling Rose is a glorious beacon of lightRambling Rose is a glorious beacon of lightRambling Rose is a glorious beacon of lightRambling Rose is a glorious beacon of lightRambling Rose is a glorious beacon of lightRambling Rose is a glorious beacon of lightRambling Rose is a glorious beacon of lightRambling Rose is a glorious beacon of light

Do they teach the proper use of apostrophes in primary schools in the UK now? I know it's on the GCSE requirements because in recent years I have tutored a few kids for English GCSE - the GCSE textbooks have sections about it

maybe they just leave it too late

I DO pick my kids up if they make mistakes with their English - but I wouldn't dream of doing so to a perfect stranger on a forum - as so many sadly seem to

strangely - or maybe not - my kids don't have a problem with apostrophes

maybe it's because Spanish is pretty much their first written language & they have learned written English almost as a foreign language - the Spanish people I've taught never seem to have a problem either - contractions are taught pretty much from day one, as are plurals
No sorry, please don't think I was suggesting we should all be correcting each others grammar or spelling. I think that should be left to parents and teachers. I just don't think it happens much these days. My nephew asked me to look over his university application 5 years ago. It was riddled with bad grammar, spelling mistakes and ambiguity. Yet he was a bright boy at a good school and went on to get a 2:1 and then an Msc at Sheffield.

As for the neighbour who thought 'derecha' meant 'all right' in spanish. He's been asked to help with the english class at the local school.
Old Aug 16th 2012, 10:26 pm
FreeThinker

jimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond repute

Better mind my ps and qs in future then.
Old Aug 16th 2012, 10:40 pm
¿Dónde estoy?

No sorry, please don't think I was suggesting we should all be correcting each others grammar or spelling. I think that should be left to parents and teachers. I just don't think it happens much these days. My nephew asked me to look over his university application 5 years ago. It was riddled with bad grammar, spelling mistakes and ambiguity. Yet he was a bright boy at a good school and went on to get a 2:1 and then an Msc at Sheffield.

As for the neighbour who thought 'derecha' meant 'all right' in spanish. He's been asked to help with the english class at the local school.
no!! I didn't think you were suggesting that - I think it's sad - almost rude - that others feel the need to on a forum, as some do

I meant to comment on the 'derecha' thing - that wouldn't be the first time I've heard that - & I feel so sorry for the kids he'll be teaching
Old Aug 16th 2012, 10:41 pm
¿Dónde estoy?

Originally Posted by jimenato
Better mind my ps and qs in future then.
Old Aug 16th 2012, 10:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

Retired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond repute

That is not a comma - it's an apostrophe (I can't believe I had to explain that)
True, an apostrophe. Just didn't want to sound too didactic & thought I might be accused of being snobbish!!
Old Aug 16th 2012, 10:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

Retired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dick Dasterdly
However, don't forget situations such as "the boys' books" or "the lambs' tails".
Old Aug 16th 2012, 11:00 pm
Just Joined

Jackwil80 is an unknown quantity at this point

There is also chinese and Arabic and Urdu/Hindi thats quite commonly used around the world
Old Aug 16th 2012, 11:07 pm
¿Dónde estoy?

Originally Posted by retired in euzkadi
However, don't forget situations such as "the boys' books" or "the lambs' tails".
well yes, when you have plural 'possessors' as it were

& the exception of 'it' as the possessor - no apostrophe

eg. it's its tail................
Old Aug 16th 2012, 11:10 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

agoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond repute

These days since most people don't get taught english grammar anymore
Ain't that the truth!
Old Aug 16th 2012, 11:45 pm

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by retired in euzkadi
And initializations!

Mind your p's and q's.

He had three PhDs, but there were six Ph.D.'s in the room. Or, my town has two YMCAs, but the next town has three Y.M.C.A.'s.

I think.

Ain't English grand?
Old Aug 16th 2012, 11:47 pm

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

OK - it's controversial. Many people use the apostrophe in acronyms to indicate the missing letters. Working in IT (acronym hell!)we always used the apostrophe in this way. I was pulled up by our style chiefs for not using it. Long discussion here

Note to self, read entire thread before posting. See it's covered.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.