Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

mobile phone registration

mobile phone registration

Old May 29th 2013, 7:39 pm
¿Dónde estoy?

lynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond repute
Default mobile phone registration

having a bit of a nightmare porting my numbers to a new supplier - it seems that my phone & those of my daughters aren't registered to me - or even to my late husband who took out the original contract (tbh I can't remember if I signed anything transferring them to me when I changed the payment details)

apparently 2 of them are registered to a company - but not the 'reseller' the contract is with - & the other one to an individual - but not me nor my late husband........

I think I'm getting it sorted out - but I thought that mobile phones had to be registered to the actual user, which is why they have to take NIE/passport numbers - can anyone point me to the legislation - I'm so "·$%&/( off about this I can't think straight

I feel a denuncia or at the very least a demand for the complaints book coming on.........
Old May 29th 2013, 8:57 pm
BE Enthusiast

pete_l has a reputation beyond reputepete_l has a reputation beyond reputepete_l has a reputation beyond reputepete_l has a reputation beyond reputepete_l has a reputation beyond reputepete_l has a reputation beyond reputepete_l has a reputation beyond reputepete_l has a reputation beyond reputepete_l has a reputation beyond reputepete_l has a reputation beyond reputepete_l has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: mobile phone registration

Originally Posted by lynnxa
II thought that mobile phones had to be registered to the actual user, which is why they have to take NIE/passport numbers
I thought it was the SIM (and therefore the number) that was associated with a person, not the phone. I've brought unlocked phones to Spain and bought a SIM card for them and had to present my documents when getting the SIM.
Nobody's ever asked about the phone itself.
Old May 30th 2013, 4:57 am
¿Dónde estoy?

lynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pete_l
I thought it was the SIM (and therefore the number) that was associated with a person, not the phone. I've brought unlocked phones to Spain and bought a SIM card for them and had to present my documents when getting the SIM.
Nobody's ever asked about the phone itself.
that's what I meant - the numbers - I want to port the numbers to another company

apart from the fact that we want to keep our numbers, it would cost more to get new ones!
Old May 30th 2013, 7:38 am

Domino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond repute

When she came out here 4+ years ago the BH bought me a Spanish mobile with sim, which I lost earlier this year. BH went to the original Movistar shop and they transferred the number and paygo balance without loss. And I reverted to an old Nokia I keep for emergencies.
2 months ago I got a txt offer from Movistar and tried to take them up on it - to be told I wasnt the registered owner and it didnt apply to me.

So I have had to take all my details and the BH to a Movistar shop and get a re-registration in my name and NIE.

Last week I bought a "free" smartphone at MediaMarkt without sim and had to provide my NIE for that purchase.

So it would appear to be both items have to be registered.

Hope this makes sense
rgds
Old May 30th 2013, 8:23 am
BE Enthusiast

Countryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Domino
Last week I bought a "free" smartphone at MediaMarkt without sim and had to provide my NIE for that purchase.

So it would appear to be both items have to be registered.

Hope this makes sense
rgds
Can you 'buy' a free item? Seriously, do you mean it was on some kind of contract in which case there must have been a number & SIM as part of the deal surely?
That you've place "free" in quotes suggests more to it. What?
Old May 30th 2013, 8:52 am

Domino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Biffta
Can you 'buy' a free item? Seriously, do you mean it was on some kind of contract in which case there must have been a number & SIM as part of the deal surely?
That you've place "free" in quotes suggests more to it. What?
mobiles are normally "locked" to the service provider you buy it from, reducing the opportunity to take advantage of say a Movistar offer and then fitting your Orange sim.
there are companies who offer unlocking for around 20euros but that usually wipes out the advantage of the offer. and sometimes unlocking isnt successful.

but you can buy a "free" (Libre in Spain) mobile without the locking and fit any sim. usually this is a bit dearer than the mobile from a mobile company, but in this instance MediaMarkt were offering the Samsung Galaxy Mini at a princely 89euros "libre", a saving of 20euros on their previous unlocked price.
Old May 30th 2013, 11:54 am
BE Enthusiast

Countryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this point

Ah I understand now, you were using 'free' in the libre, not locked to a provider sense!
Reminds me of when first living here and seeing 'buffet libre'. Soon realised it didn't mean free!