Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Mobile Phone Contract?

Mobile Phone Contract?

Old Feb 17th 2019, 12:49 pm
Forum Regular

ElizabethAnn is a splendid one to beholdElizabethAnn is a splendid one to beholdElizabethAnn is a splendid one to beholdElizabethAnn is a splendid one to beholdElizabethAnn is a splendid one to beholdElizabethAnn is a splendid one to beholdElizabethAnn is a splendid one to beholdElizabethAnn is a splendid one to beholdElizabethAnn is a splendid one to beholdElizabethAnn is a splendid one to beholdElizabethAnn is a splendid one to behold
Default Mobile Phone Contract?

Looking for some pointers for Mobile Phone contracts. We currently use our UK mobiles in Spain but suspect Brexit (if it happens) will suddenly make this much too expensive. Can anyone point me to a Mobile Phone contract that is cheap - we currently use Tesco Mobile and its cheap as chips but all we need - and provides data and calls / texts all inclusive?
Old Feb 18th 2019, 5:53 am
BE Positive

Jon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Mobile Phone Contract?

Originally Posted by ElizabethAnn
Looking for some pointers for Mobile Phone contracts. We currently use our UK mobiles in Spain but suspect Brexit (if it happens) will suddenly make this much too expensive. Can anyone point me to a Mobile Phone contract that is cheap - we currently use Tesco Mobile and its cheap as chips but all we need - and provides data and calls / texts all inclusive?
Just a note of caution, something that I was stung by last year.

Roaming in the EU does NOT (often) include calls/texts originating from your home country.

E.g I have a package that gives me 120 minutes and unlimited SMS/text + some data A Belgian contract.

However if I call or text another EU country FROM Belgium I have to pay the full international rate!! So it costs a LOT to call, say, the UK or Spain. I have friends who have also been stung by this.

Conversely if I am in Spain and call OR text Belgium, its local rate... Or I use up my minutes. So its either 'free' or if the minutes are used up local rate (free texts at all times when AWAY).

Likewise I can call or text the UK, Belgium or any EU country from Spain and still benefit from free roaming.

Its weird IMO that I am completely free to roam when away, but calling texting OUT has a charge, but not in reverse. So its a wonderful system when travelling AWAY from home. The same charges dont always apply in reverse.

If ElisabethAnn you are looking for a new Spanish contract and want to call the UK you could be facing big charges.

As ever, check the small print.... I got stung for 114 euros, when I used up my free minutes to call a friend in the UK from Belgium!!!

I think we will have early warnings if Brexit will kill off Roaming. And therefore have time to make preparatory arrangements, (if necessary.)

I suspect/hope it will not be a problem. There is still an element of 'fear' about Brexit. Often irrational, IMO. So IMO I would recommend that you hang on a bit and see what happens. Tesco sounds like a great option!! If this 'worst case scenario' arrives, we will know in advance.

For example you can pick up a Lycamobile card at newsagents and activate it immediately....

Good luck

Jon

PS I am regularly in the UK, and happy to wait and see.... If necessary I will get a UK Sim if it emerges to be a problem. First place I'll check is Tesco

Last edited by Jon-Bxl; Feb 18th 2019 at 6:05 am.
Old Feb 18th 2019, 6:25 am
Dxf
BE Forum Addict

Dxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond repute

Hola

Free roaming says that you can use your phone as if you were still in your home country. So a Spanish mobile can phone another Spanish number for free no matter where in Europe you or the recipient are. The same Spanish phone will be charged to phone a phone from any other country.
There are a number of Spanish companies that will include a number of minutes to phone a British phone.

You have to predict what you are going to use the phone exactly to get the best deal

Remember you can phone for free using WhatsApp etc.

Davexf
Old Feb 18th 2019, 7:17 am
Forum Regular

ElizabethAnn is a splendid one to beholdElizabethAnn is a splendid one to beholdElizabethAnn is a splendid one to beholdElizabethAnn is a splendid one to beholdElizabethAnn is a splendid one to beholdElizabethAnn is a splendid one to beholdElizabethAnn is a splendid one to beholdElizabethAnn is a splendid one to beholdElizabethAnn is a splendid one to beholdElizabethAnn is a splendid one to beholdElizabethAnn is a splendid one to behold

Thank you Davefx and Jon. All good advice though I am a little confused about the roaming issue.

I understood that the whole point of the EU regulations regarding roaming is that you can call from anywhere in the EU without being charged any extra - i.e. from anywhere, to anywhere as long as you are on an EU service provider. (Note that huge charges have been accrued when phones have picked up non-EU providers when "close to" borders - North African service providers for example even though the phone is physically within the EU.) With a UK mobile, no matter where I am physically in the EU, my call is made from a UK number. At the moment, I have no extra call charges to any EU-based numbers (other than the normal small extras for certain types of numbers).
However, due to Tesco's "fair use policy" we are charged extra for data usage - 0.5p / Mb - after we have used our data in a non-UK location for 3 months.
Our Tesco mobile contract doesn't run out until we go home for the summer holiday anyway and we are likely to keep one of our phones on that and transfer the other one to a Spanish contract when we come back - regardless of Brexit.
Thanks again for the advice and information. Always useful.
Elizabeth
Old Feb 18th 2019, 8:36 am
BE Positive

Jon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ElizabethAnn
Thank you Davefx and Jon. All good advice though I am a little confused about the roaming issue.

I understood that the whole point of the EU regulations regarding roaming is that you can call from anywhere in the EU without being charged any extra - i.e. from anywhere, to anywhere as long as you are on an EU service provider. (Note that huge charges have been accrued when phones have picked up non-EU providers when "close to" borders - North African service providers for example even though the phone is physically within the EU.) With a UK mobile, no matter where I am physically in the EU, my call is made from a UK number. At the moment, I have no extra call charges to any EU-based numbers (other than the normal small extras for certain types of numbers).
However, due to Tesco's "fair use policy" we are charged extra for data usage - 0.5p / Mb - after we have used our data in a non-UK location for 3 months.
Our Tesco mobile contract doesn't run out until we go home for the summer holiday anyway and we are likely to keep one of our phones on that and transfer the other one to a Spanish contract when we come back - regardless of Brexit.
Thanks again for the advice and information. Always useful.
Elizabeth
Hi thats why the small print is SO important ...

I was mad last year when I used about 90-100 minutes of my 120 minutes allowance called ' Calls National and EU'. I called the UK from Belgium and they hit me with 114€.

I complained but got nowhere, ... However I obviously wasnt the only one as the wording has changed TO ''Calls national and from the EU" the word 'from' is their way out.

Grrrrrrr!!! A friend who emigrated to Esuri was also hopping mad when he got a Spanish SIM and called the UK, like me he wont fall for it again!!

So if you do get a Spanish SIM its something - definitely - to consider. As DXF says there may be packages that include UK minutes, but its in addition to 'normal' roaming. Also you mentioned there are additional 'fair use' provisions as well to consider. DXF can you name the package you know about?

I have a dual SIM phone, but now that I know the 'con' they wont get me again. I dont need the 2nd slot currently. Once Brexit finally happens and IF roaming is changed, Ill get a UK SIM and use the appropriate SIM depending on where I am in the EU.

Like I mentioned there should be time to sort it out in advance, once we know IF there are any changes.

I also have WhatsApp and Skype (that I prefer as I can call landlines... And it has better features for me. But I had to get WhatsApp as well as its its become so popular)...

So it is - and will be - 'horses for courses' apps and SIM(s)

Jon

Last edited by Jon-Bxl; Feb 18th 2019 at 8:43 am.
Old Feb 18th 2019, 8:03 pm
Dxf
BE Forum Addict

Dxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond repute

Hola

Several of the Wimax services around Chiclana offer cheap English telephone number deals through Gibraltar. Some use Hits mobile - I would ask Priinet what they can come up with for a start.

Davexf
Old Feb 19th 2019, 8:28 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jon-Bxl
Hi thats why the small print is SO important ...

I was mad last year when I used about 90-100 minutes of my 120 minutes allowance called ' Calls National and EU'. I called the UK from Belgium and they hit me with 114€.

I complained but got nowhere, ... However I obviously wasnt the only one as the wording has changed TO ''Calls national and from the EU" the word 'from' is their way out.

Grrrrrrr!!! A friend who emigrated to Esuri was also hopping mad when he got a Spanish SIM and called the UK, like me he wont fall for it again!!

So if you do get a Spanish SIM its something - definitely - to consider. As DXF says there may be packages that include UK minutes, but its in addition to 'normal' roaming. Also you mentioned there are additional 'fair use' provisions as well to consider. DXF can you name the package you know about?

I have a dual SIM phone, but now that I know the 'con' they wont get me again. I dont need the 2nd slot currently. Once Brexit finally happens and IF roaming is changed, Ill get a UK SIM and use the appropriate SIM depending on where I am in the EU.

Like I mentioned there should be time to sort it out in advance, once we know IF there are any changes.

I also have WhatsApp and Skype (that I prefer as I can call landlines... And it has better features for me. But I had to get WhatsApp as well as its its become so popular)...

So it is - and will be - 'horses for courses' apps and SIM(s)

Jon
l am awaiting delivery of a dual SIM iPhone just in case Brexshit ever happens. That way I can keep my UK No which I have had since Adam was a lad and my Spanish mobile No which I have had for 10yrs. In both cases I use a non major carrier giffgaff in my U.K. mobile and yoigo in Spain. We have been caught out by the three month rule on the U.K. sim if we don’t visit the U.K. in that time unfortunately the Irish Repubic does not count so for a short time I restrict my use of the U.K. phone in Spain.
Old Feb 20th 2019, 5:16 am
BE Positive

Originally Posted by EsuriJohn

l am awaiting delivery of a dual SIM iPhone just in case Brexshit ever happens. That way I can keep my UK No which I have had since Adam was a lad and my Spanish mobile No which I have had for 10yrs. In both cases I use a non major carrier giffgaff in my U.K. mobile and yoigo in Spain. We have been caught out by the three month rule on the U.K. sim if we don’t visit the U.K. in that time unfortunately the Irish Repubic does not count so for a short time I restrict my use of the U.K. phone in Spain.

I laughed at your 'spelling mistake' can you believe its the first time I heard it!! Good one, I can see the funny side.

Looks like we've both had roaming problems even whilst the UK is + was an integral part of the EU for you, and Belgium for me. Mine will continue. Yours may change.

Here is an interesting article. It looks at deal/no deal scenarios. With a deal there is no rush. No deal will still give time to consider options IMO - as I mentioned to Elizabeth and is supported by the article (where it talks about operators plans). Its why I said that we shouldn't be too ' fearful' on this subject as we have time to decide once we know the situation re deal/no deal. I also wanted to highlight that getting a Spanish contract could mean expensive calls to the UK for her. Small print etc

In my case Im making zero changes till we know for sure. Like getting a uk sim. There's no rush

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.bbc...iness-45064268

Jon

Last edited by Jon-Bxl; Feb 20th 2019 at 5:28 am.
Old Feb 23rd 2019, 1:28 pm
Forum Regular

offthepiste is an unknown quantity at this point

I believe that all UK (and probably other European) mobile operators, e.g. Three, Vodafone, etc. have a "fair usage" policy which will suspend roaming if you exceed their permitted allowance.

Three states: "Go Roam is intended for our UK customers who are UK residents or have stable links with the UK (e.g. full-time employment or study in the UK) who are visiting one of the destinations for short periods, like holidays or business trips. It isn’t designed for people who live abroad or stay for extended periods. If you roam exclusively in a Go Roam Around the World destination for any two complete months in a rolling 12-month period, we may suspend International Roaming on your account, meaning you will no longer be able to use your phone or device abroad. Of course, we will let you know in advance if this is likely to happen. If you spend a full month abroad but some of that time is spent in a destination that isn’t included in Go Roam, the restriction won’t apply."

I am looking for a solution to avoid being suspended as I will be based in Portugal for most of the year. Does anyone have any suggestions?

One solution is to divert to my Portuguese mobile. However, this will be expensive if I receive calls from the UK.

Appreciate that there are solutions such as WhatsApp and FaceTime, etc. However, Banks and other organisations use two factor authentication - which means either receiving a SMS or Voice call!!!

Last edited by offthepiste; Feb 23rd 2019 at 1:53 pm. Reason: spelling
Old Feb 25th 2019, 4:33 am
BE Positive

Originally Posted by offthepiste
I believe that all UK (and probably other European) mobile operators, e.g. Three, Vodafone, etc. have a "fair usage" policy which will suspend roaming if you exceed their permitted allowance.

Three states: "Go Roam is intended for our UK customers who are UK residents or have stable links with the UK (e.g. full-time employment or study in the UK) who are visiting one of the destinations for short periods, like holidays or business trips. It isn’t designed for people who live abroad or stay for extended periods. If you roam exclusively in a Go Roam Around the World destination for any two complete months in a rolling 12-month period, we may suspend International Roaming on your account, meaning you will no longer be able to use your phone or device abroad. Of course, we will let you know in advance if this is likely to happen. If you spend a full month abroad but some of that time is spent in a destination that isn’t included in Go Roam, the restriction won’t apply."

I am looking for a solution to avoid being suspended as I will be based in Portugal for most of the year. Does anyone have any suggestions?

One solution is to divert to my Portuguese mobile. However, this will be expensive if I receive calls from the UK.

Appreciate that there are solutions such as WhatsApp and FaceTime, etc. However, Banks and other organisations use two factor authentication - which means either receiving a SMS or Voice call!!!
I dont know how you can avoid being suspended when your provider realises that there are no calls originating from the UK. They would see that as 'unfair use'!!

Its clear that you want to keep your UK number, but getting a local SIM wont mess up the authentication process just tell your bank, paypal, etc etc your new number, receiving calls and texts are free. I have no issues (yet) with the institutions calling me 'abroad' (for them). They probably have a package with the Telco for unlimited calls anyway.

Getting a dual SIM phone will make it easier. BUT you wont be able to get around this roaming problem, your UK contacts, when calling & texting your new SIM will pay international rates. As will you if you forward their calls from your UK number.

Switching contracts allow you to keep the old number (often), it seems that you have to find a new contract at the UK end, perhaps?

Jon
PS Skype can give you a UK number, that your UK contacts can call. That with a local SIM for the banks may be a possibility?
Old Feb 25th 2019, 7:37 am
BE Positive

Skype also offer voice mail and othro services that might help...
Old Feb 25th 2019, 9:56 am
Forum Regular

Hi Jon,
Many thanks for your input.

Good point re 'fair use" re my UK contract. I had not anticipated that 'lack of use' would be against the terms - but believe you are correct. Although perhaps forwarded calls might be considered "usage", any thoughts? See if I can get any sense from Three - so far their support and sales teams have been useless!

I was planning to sign up for an "International Saver" type of add on (Three do not include SMS so was going to ditch for Vodafone or O2) so any calls forwarded from my UK number would be at a local rate. I do not get that many calls and would be contacting friends via WhatsApp and FaceTime.

Re Skype - will definitely look into this.

Thanks again
Old Feb 25th 2019, 1:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

MikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Jon,

Good point re 'fair use" re my UK contract. I had not anticipated that 'lack of use' would be against the terms - but believe you are correct. Although perhaps forwarded calls might be considered "usage", any thoughts? See if I can get any sense from Three - so far their support and sales teams have been useless!

I was planning to sign up for an "International Saver" type of add on (Three do not include SMS so was going to ditch for Vodafone or O2) so any calls forwarded from my UK number would be at a local rate. I do not get that many calls and would be contacting friends via WhatsApp and FaceTime.

Thanks again
I saw a piece in the paper not long ago which said that if you do not use your number for more than 12 months then the provider may reallocate your number. Usage does not include 'free' action such as top-ups, retrieving Vmails, checking balance, even receiving call if there is no charge associated, etc but must generate a charge on your bill.
Old Feb 26th 2019, 8:29 am
BE Positive

Hi Jon,

Thanks again
Hi OTP

Aaah got me there... I dont really know as Ive never been in that situation, it seems logical that a charged call to your phone for the forwarding is the same as a call ... And so should ''count'.

But it is a phone company we are talking about, and I have never had a good Customer experience with any of them. Note the first part of this quote:

“There are things you just can’t do in life. You can’t beat the phone company, you can’t make a waiter see you until he’s ready to see you, and you can’t go home again.”

— Bill Bryson
Old Feb 26th 2019, 1:51 pm
Forum Regular

Hi Jon,
Just thought I would do a test to set up a divert from my UK to Portuguese number - discovered it will not accept foreign numbers & only UK numbers .... drat. About to look at Skype.