Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Missing the grandchildren

Missing the grandchildren

Old Sep 12th 2011, 5:29 pm
Forum Regular

missbad has much to be proud ofmissbad has much to be proud ofmissbad has much to be proud ofmissbad has much to be proud ofmissbad has much to be proud ofmissbad has much to be proud ofmissbad has much to be proud ofmissbad has much to be proud ofmissbad has much to be proud ofmissbad has much to be proud ofmissbad has much to be proud of
Default Missing the grandchildren

Hi All

I know Spain is not miles away. However how do you adjust not seeing the grandchildren as much as normal.

I am blessed to have a little grandson (Ollie 15months old)

I see him nearly everyday and have him every other weekend. How do you cope not being able to see the little ones as much.

X
Old Sep 12th 2011, 6:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

megmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Missing the grandchildren

Originally Posted by missbad
Hi All

I know Spain is not miles away. However how do you adjust not seeing the grandchildren as much as normal.

I see him nearly everyday and have him every other weekend. How do you cope not being able to see the little ones as much.

X
It's a sacrifice you have to make along with missing your life long friends, but you get used to it... and then learn how to use video calls on Skype.
Old Sep 12th 2011, 6:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

paintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond repute

Hi All

X
Im not sure how you would cope.Im not in that position yet but I know that I miss my 22 year old still like crazy.Adult she may be now but still very young and she still changes in her looks. things she likes etc.A little one that you are very close to...I dont know.Good to see youre still up for it though.We are 2 years down the line now.How time flies...but it hasnt been all paradise for us and you really do need to have a strong will to cope with all the negs that life in Spain can bring.
Old Sep 12th 2011, 6:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

paintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond repute

I wouldnt swap it though.
Old Sep 12th 2011, 6:45 pm
bil
Banned

bil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond repute

Of course, the advantage is you aren't there to be tapped for freebabysitting all the time.
Old Sep 12th 2011, 6:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

Chiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bil
Of course, the advantage is you aren't there to be tapped for freebabysitting all the time.
But that is a pleasure not a chore Bill.
Old Sep 12th 2011, 7:39 pm
bil
Banned

bil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Chiclanagir
But that is a pleasure not a chore Bill.
I long ago came to the conclusion that dogs are less trouble than children.

Plus if they get pregnant, you can sell their children.......
Old Sep 12th 2011, 9:54 pm
HBG
Lost in BE Cyberspace

HBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond repute

When you move to Spain, you're going to miss your children, grandchildren, other relatives, friends and acquaintances; pubs, theatres and other places; green grass and trees, football and rugby matches, and the sense of humour you've grown up with.

Skype won't replace it, and the two-hour plane journey is a myth unless you can walk to Gatwick and Alicante at either end.

I've missed out a hundred other things, there's a lot to miss.

Some people say that you're joining a circus of lost souls on the run from something, usually themselves. I believe there's a lot of truth in that.
Old Sep 12th 2011, 10:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

megmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by HBG
When you move to Spain, you're going to miss your children, grandchildren, other relatives, friends and acquaintances; pubs, theatres and other places; green grass and trees, football and rugby matches, and the sense of humour you've grown up with.

Skype won't replace it, and the two-hour plane journey is a myth unless you can walk to Gatwick and Alicante at either end.

I've missed out a hundred other things, there's a lot to miss.

Some people say that you're joining a circus of lost souls on the run from something, usually themselves. I believe there's a lot of truth in that.
But most of that would be true if you simply moved to another part of the UK.

Most of life is a compromise, one often has to give one thing up in order to take advantage of another!

I do believe that to make your life a success in Spain you have to be truly committed to the move and to be aware of just how different life is going to be, some can adapt but others can't!

Especially in the winter months there are inexpensive flights, it makes it very affordable to take a trip to the UK or for them to visit you.

As for Skype video calls....we were talking tonight to the best friends we have ever had and who we miss very much, they are in the UK and no it's not quite the same but we talked to them for two hours tonight and it cost us nothing.
Old Sep 13th 2011, 12:03 am

Domino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond repute

I left home at 16 years 1month 2days, from Hertfordshire to Plymouth. There for 3 months and it HURT. Moved to near Portsmouth, was able to get home most weekends and it hurt.
At 17years and 1 month I was on a plane to Singapore, it still hurt a bit but slowly became less and less as I gathered more and more experiences.
One year later I came home to find that everything was the same but smaller, the people were the same but not quite the same. I had experiences I tried to talk about but they couldnt relate to them in the same way as I couldnt relate to their experiences.
This went on for many years, picking up a wife along the way, who I desperately wanted to be there to share it - she refused to leave her mother, even for only 10 days.

Back in those days a letter to a ship at sea could take 2 weeks, be sent to where we were expected but we had to change things at the last minute. One bag was lost when dropped by Shackleton off South Africa's east coast. Telephone calls were £1 10s a minute and as rare as dodo's eggs. Cameras all used 35mm film on rolls that needed developing.

It can be hard, very hard, to move away from where you and your loved ones have built up a relationship. But I am assuming this is for retirement and you have to do this for your own future as well as for the kids and grandkids. Your son\daughter could move to the far end of the country for a job and it would be just as hard.

Usually its the kids that leave the nest but this time it is you. Soon little Ollie will be going to playschool, then to real school and you will start to be less of his life.
As others say, skype will keep you close, you will have such fun taking hundreds of fotos of what you have seen and attaching them onto emails, collecting little presents, trying to get the the correo to post things, arranging for their visits to you.

start now by reducing the amount of contact until you leave. I am not being hard, I have had over 2 years apart from my oh, only seeing each other every 3-4months in uk or spain for a week.

Remember there are many friends out there you have yet to meet who are in the same position as yourself.

kind regards
Dom
Old Sep 13th 2011, 4:13 am
Forum Regular

missbad has much to be proud ofmissbad has much to be proud ofmissbad has much to be proud ofmissbad has much to be proud ofmissbad has much to be proud ofmissbad has much to be proud ofmissbad has much to be proud ofmissbad has much to be proud ofmissbad has much to be proud ofmissbad has much to be proud ofmissbad has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Domino
I left home at 16 years 1month 2days, from Hertfordshire to Plymouth. There for 3 months and it HURT. Moved to near Portsmouth, was able to get home most weekends and it hurt.
At 17years and 1 month I was on a plane to Singapore, it still hurt a bit but slowly became less and less as I gathered more and more experiences.
One year later I came home to find that everything was the same but smaller, the people were the same but not quite the same. I had experiences I tried to talk about but they couldnt relate to them in the same way as I couldnt relate to their experiences.
This went on for many years, picking up a wife along the way, who I desperately wanted to be there to share it - she refused to leave her mother, even for only 10 days.

Back in those days a letter to a ship at sea could take 2 weeks, be sent to where we were expected but we had to change things at the last minute. One bag was lost when dropped by Shackleton off South Africa's east coast. Telephone calls were £1 10s a minute and as rare as dodo's eggs. Cameras all used 35mm film on rolls that needed developing.

It can be hard, very hard, to move away from where you and your loved ones have built up a relationship. But I am assuming this is for retirement and you have to do this for your own future as well as for the kids and grandkids. Your son\daughter could move to the far end of the country for a job and it would be just as hard.

Usually its the kids that leave the nest but this time it is you. Soon little Ollie will be going to playschool, then to real school and you will start to be less of his life.
As others say, skype will keep you close, you will have such fun taking hundreds of fotos of what you have seen and attaching them onto emails, collecting little presents, trying to get the the correo to post things, arranging for their visits to you.

start now by reducing the amount of contact until you leave. I am not being hard, I have had over 2 years apart from my oh, only seeing each other every 3-4months in uk or spain for a week.

Remember there are many friends out there you have yet to meet who are in the same position as yourself.

kind regards
Dom
Very good advice about reducing the amount of contact I have. If only my daughter would do that lol. The girl is on the phone at least 10 times a day. Mum can you do this or that, and mum I need advise. I must admit reducing contact would help her to stand on her own two feet. I am sure I will get used to it too. X
Old Sep 13th 2011, 4:15 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by paintermujer
Im not sure how you would cope.Im not in that position yet but I know that I miss my 22 year old still like crazy.Adult she may be now but still very young and she still changes in her looks. things she likes etc.A little one that you are very close to...I dont know.Good to see youre still up for it though.We are 2 years down the line now.How time flies...but it hasnt been all paradise for us and you really do need to have a strong will to cope with all the negs that life in Spain can bring.
Wow has it really been 2 years my goodness that has gone quick.
How have you all been?
X
Old Sep 13th 2011, 6:16 am
HBG
Lost in BE Cyberspace

HBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by megmet
But most of that would be true if you simply moved to another part of the UK.

Most of life is a compromise, one often has to give one thing up in order to take advantage of another!

I do believe that to make your life a success in Spain you have to be truly committed to the move and to be aware of just how different life is going to be, some can adapt but others can't!

Especially in the winter months there are inexpensive flights, it makes it very affordable to take a trip to the UK or for them to visit you.

As for Skype video calls....we were talking tonight to the best friends we have ever had and who we miss very much, they are in the UK and no it's not quite the same but we talked to them for two hours tonight and it cost us nothing.
You're right, life is a compromise and every time you get to a crossroads you have a choice to make, a personal one.

Maybe a personal example is appropriate. I chose a time to leave for Spain when I judged that those I was leaving behind would be able to make their own way in life. Some of them have since told me that I was wrong, and like many other escapees to Spain I have to live with that.

My sister chose to stay behind and now has a much closer relationship with her family than I have with mine. She doesn't need Skype, they're knocking on her door every day.

Having been exposed to the hot sun for too long, I'm thinking about using Skype with a paper bag over my head, with eye slits. My wife's thinking about a balaclava.
Old Sep 13th 2011, 6:54 am

Domino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by HBG
You're right, life is a compromise and every time you get to a crossroads you have a choice to make, a personal one.

Maybe a personal example is appropriate. I chose a time to leave for Spain when I judged that those I was leaving behind would be able to make their own way in life. Some of them have since told me that I was wrong, and like many other escapees to Spain I have to live with that.

My sister chose to stay behind and now has a much closer relationship with her family than I have with mine. She doesn't need Skype, they're knocking on her door every day.

Having been exposed to the hot sun for too long, I'm thinking about using Skype with a paper bag over my head, with eye slits. My wife's thinking about a balaclava.
just press the left hand button, not the one in the middle for video, no need for bags or balaclavas just go audio only.

start a new fad in communication....
Old Sep 13th 2011, 7:24 am

Very good advice about reducing the amount of contact I have. If only my daughter would do that lol. The girl is on the phone at least 10 times a day. Mum can you do this or that, and mum I need advise. I must admit reducing contact would help her to stand on her own two feet. I am sure I will get used to it too. X
well missy, this sounds like it is a situation not of your making.
I would hate to be your son-in-law, but I had to learn over half a century ago to become independent

may I suggest the careful use of a little word that can hurt ?
be going out with a friend, husband, etc ?
battery on mobile fone fail a couple of times ?
always be off doing something for your big move to Spain ?

you can't have any life, no wonder someone wants to get you out of the country!

take your daughter and grandson with you when you are doing things for Spain, involve them, he will love it and perhaps your daughter will come to accept it.

not sure this is the correct song, but perhaps you can see the message I am trying to get across
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X0AGw...eature=related

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.