Meeting places

Old Mar 23rd 2006, 6:15 pm
Forum Regular

Harley69 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Meeting places

I am coming over with hubby on Monday for a couple of days... We are staying at the Riu and was wondering which are the best places to meet some of the local expats...

No doubt some of you guys have a regular meeting point and it would be nice to put a name to a face...

harley
Old Mar 23rd 2006, 6:47 pm
Just Joined

Leonardo will become famous soon enoughLeonardo will become famous soon enough
Question Re: Meeting places

Originally Posted by Harley69
I am coming over with hubby on Monday for a couple of days... We are staying at the Riu and was wondering which are the best places to meet some of the local expats...

No doubt some of you guys have a regular meeting point and it would be nice to put a name to a face...

harley
It might help if you told us were the Riu is

Leonardo
Old Mar 23rd 2006, 8:03 pm
BE Enthusiast

Unexpat is just really niceUnexpat is just really niceUnexpat is just really niceUnexpat is just really niceUnexpat is just really niceUnexpat is just really niceUnexpat is just really niceUnexpat is just really niceUnexpat is just really niceUnexpat is just really niceUnexpat is just really nice
Default Re: Meeting places

Originally Posted by Leonardo
It might help if you told us were the Riu is

Leonardo
My guess is Chiclana, given the size of the thread Soon Chiclana will be asking for autonomy Just kidding
Old Mar 24th 2006, 5:49 am
Forum Regular

Arco-Iris has a reputation beyond reputeArco-Iris has a reputation beyond reputeArco-Iris has a reputation beyond reputeArco-Iris has a reputation beyond reputeArco-Iris has a reputation beyond reputeArco-Iris has a reputation beyond reputeArco-Iris has a reputation beyond reputeArco-Iris has a reputation beyond reputeArco-Iris has a reputation beyond reputeArco-Iris has a reputation beyond reputeArco-Iris has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Unexpat
My guess is Chiclana, given the size of the thread Soon Chiclana will be asking for autonomy Just kidding

Do you mean the Riu Hotel at Novo Sancti Petri, Harley? If so, I - and others I imagine - could mention places where you're likely to bump into British ex-pats.

For instance, Mary Black the Irish singer is at the Teatro Moderno tonight; there's Brown's Bar at Los Gallos, not far from Monopoly, an English grocer. And the Lemon Tree, a restaurant run by a Scottish family. You'll always find many nationalities at the Hipersol supermarket, outside Chiclana on the way to Cadiz. There's a big dog-walking contingent on the road to old Santi Petri port - again all nationalities.

Personally, I'm not one for "congregating" so can't be of much help about other places. I hope you have more luck with other posters.
Old Mar 24th 2006, 8:44 am
Not Junior but not Senior

poollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Arco-Iris
Do you mean the Riu Hotel at Novo Sancti Petri, Harley? If so, I - and others I imagine - could mention places where you're likely to bump into British ex-pats.

For instance, Mary Black the Irish singer is at the Teatro Moderno tonight; there's Brown's Bar at Los Gallos, not far from Monopoly, an English grocer. And the Lemon Tree, a restaurant run by a Scottish family. You'll always find many nationalities at the Hipersol supermarket, outside Chiclana on the way to Cadiz. There's a big dog-walking contingent on the road to old Santi Petri port - again all nationalities.

Personally, I'm not one for "congregating" so can't be of much help about other places. I hope you have more luck with other posters.
Hope all the dog walkers carry pooper scoopers Iris as that is my favourite beach..haven't noticed too many when I have been there. Your post is as helpful as ever, and I expect if one is living there permanently one could crave a change of entertainment, company of expats etc etc. However, having seen the ads for Browns on another site I think I would run a mile !! Please, please ,please...Chiclana is so attractive because it is not another Little England..let's try and keep it that way.
Old Mar 24th 2006, 9:47 am
Forum Regular

Harley69 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Arco-Iris

Yes this is the Hotel we're staying at and thank you for all your suggestions... Like i said it would be nice to meet up with some of the British locals, who have taken the plunge and moved over there... Peoples experiences are very different and as we are considering buying a property the more information we get the better...

Thanks again
Old Mar 24th 2006, 1:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

Chiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Harley69
Hi Arco-Iris

Yes this is the Hotel we're staying at and thank you for all your suggestions... Like i said it would be nice to meet up with some of the British locals, who have taken the plunge and moved over there... Peoples experiences are very different and as we are considering buying a property the more information we get the better...

Thanks again
Harley, I think you should wear a big badge on your chest saying "I'm Harley" and then all of us on the forum would know you.

I think the thing is most of the community are divided into either the "Browns Bar, Lemon Tree crowd" or the others, like me who do not want a typical English bar. We tend to go to our local, Venta Florentinas or try various Spanish bars/restaurants. You won't have a problem finding other English but in Barossa most would be on holiday. Anyway have a lovely time and bring the nice weather with you!
Old Mar 24th 2006, 1:33 pm
Forum Regular

susique is a glorious beacon of lightsusique is a glorious beacon of lightsusique is a glorious beacon of lightsusique is a glorious beacon of lightsusique is a glorious beacon of lightsusique is a glorious beacon of lightsusique is a glorious beacon of lightsusique is a glorious beacon of lightsusique is a glorious beacon of lightsusique is a glorious beacon of lightsusique is a glorious beacon of light
Smile Re: Meeting places

Originally Posted by poollounger
Hope all the dog walkers carry pooper scoopers Iris as that is my favourite beach..haven't noticed too many when I have been there. Your post is as helpful as ever, and I expect if one is living there permanently one could crave a change of entertainment, company of expats etc etc. However, having seen the ads for Browns on another site I think I would run a mile !! Please, please ,please...Chiclana is so attractive because it is not another Little England..let's try and keep it that way.
Here here!

By the way are you living in UK or Spain? or both? I expect you have said somewhere but I don't have time to read the whole Spanish section. Just nosey.

Susique
Old Mar 24th 2006, 3:46 pm

poollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by susique
Here here!

By the way are you living in UK or Spain? or both? I expect you have said somewhere but I don't have time to read the whole Spanish section. Just nosey.

Susique
No I live in London..have only bought the place last year, and looking forward to spending longer periods out there. Hope I didn't come over as one of those 'not in my backyard' type of people !! Have visited Spain a fair bit off and on and spent a year looking for the right property, including driving 600 miles on one trip. When I was in Ayamonte an estate agent who was half German half Spanish said he had moved there from Dernia when he went into a bar and no one spoke Spanish!! I would hate this to happen in Chiclana.Yes we have Tapas Bars and some fine Spanish restaurants in London and elsewhere in Britain but I hope Chiclana doesn't get overrun with Brit bars and I have to move to Extramadura. By the way Glynis is right.. there are plenty of fine Spanish restaurants and bars, including the lovely Florentina in Pago del Humo. Often hear English in there, but on Sundays it is delightfully noisy and Spanish. Be brave Harley...snoop around...the locals are friendly and you may find unexpected pleasures....I reccommend the deep fried oysters at the restaurant by the nautical club in old Sancti Petri..delicious!!
Old Mar 24th 2006, 7:38 pm
Forum Regular

Arco-Iris has a reputation beyond reputeArco-Iris has a reputation beyond reputeArco-Iris has a reputation beyond reputeArco-Iris has a reputation beyond reputeArco-Iris has a reputation beyond reputeArco-Iris has a reputation beyond reputeArco-Iris has a reputation beyond reputeArco-Iris has a reputation beyond reputeArco-Iris has a reputation beyond reputeArco-Iris has a reputation beyond reputeArco-Iris has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Unexpat

Yes, Unexpat, it does seem that way. (Special flag, man the barricades: just like Mebyan Kernow where I come from)!

A forum for Chiclana, Conil, Medina, Vejer etc. exists but many people seem to prefer to use this one: perhaps they think they get a greater variety of information and experience here. Or maybe they are so new-ish to the area that they are very hungry for info. until they gather enough to be able to contribute. Whatever the reasons, I think it's good that folk have a choice of fora to visit to get what they want and need and, hopefully, give something back when they're able.
Old Mar 26th 2006, 11:45 am
BE Forum Addict

Chiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, Unexpat, it does seem that way. (Special flag, man the barricades: just like Mebyan Kernow where I come from)!

A forum for Chiclana, Conil, Medina, Vejer etc. exists but many people seem to prefer to use this one: perhaps they think they get a greater variety of information and experience here. Or maybe they are so new-ish to the area that they are very hungry for info. until they gather enough to be able to contribute. Whatever the reasons, I think it's good that folk have a choice of fora to visit to get what they want and need and, hopefully, give something back when they're able.
ALL OF YOU BACK IN THE UK - THE SUN IS SHINING AND IT'S WARM AND BALMY..............................SORRY!!!!!!!!!1
Old Mar 26th 2006, 12:25 pm
Experience 5* rating

Costa-Convert has a brilliant futureCosta-Convert has a brilliant futureCosta-Convert has a brilliant futureCosta-Convert has a brilliant futureCosta-Convert has a brilliant futureCosta-Convert has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by glynis
ALL OF YOU BACK IN THE UK - THE SUN IS SHINING AND IT'S WARM AND BALMY..............................SORRY!!!!!!!!!1

Thanks for the weather update Glynis I am over on Tuesday morning nice to know the weather is good.

Although saying that the sun is shining in Kent today but not warm enough to strip to my bikini yet!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old Mar 26th 2006, 4:40 pm

Originally Posted by Costa-Convert
Thanks for the weather update Glynis I am over on Tuesday morning nice to know the weather is good.

Although saying that the sun is shining in Kent today but not warm enough to strip to my bikini yet!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Must be some other part of Kent to the one I am on the borders with....but it is warm. Roll on April....the pool is tiled and I am going in no matter what!!!
Old Mar 26th 2006, 5:08 pm
BE Enthusiast

dazzle is a name known to alldazzle is a name known to alldazzle is a name known to alldazzle is a name known to alldazzle is a name known to alldazzle is a name known to alldazzle is a name known to alldazzle is a name known to alldazzle is a name known to alldazzle is a name known to alldazzle is a name known to all

Originally Posted by poollounger
Must be some other part of Kent to the one I am on the borders with....but it is warm. Roll on April....the pool is tiled and I am going in no matter what!!!
Be warned - a friend of mine went in as ours was being filled. There was only enough water to just cover the surface of the deep end.

Going in was no problem, but with wet feet, climbing up the slope to get out was another story. It really did give me a laugh though!!!
Old Mar 27th 2006, 5:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by dazzle
Be warned - a friend of mine went in as ours was being filled. There was only enough water to just cover the surface of the deep end.

Going in was no problem, but with wet feet, climbing up the slope to get out was another story. It really did give me a laugh though!!!
Excellent. We are just cleaning ours now so know what that is like. Mind you I am using the "royal we". I just give instructions!!!!!!!!!! Like you missed that bit. Friend went in yesterday in her pool and said it was lovely. However she couldn't stop her teeth chattering at the time. Only kidding. I think I'll throw the dog in first to check the temp.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.