Medical Care

Old Jun 21st 2008, 3:39 pm
Just Joined

catherine20 is an unknown quantity at this point
Red face Medical Care

Hi All, Just wanted to know if anybody living in Spain has a long term illness that needs medication? We are thinking of moving over but have a disabled son who is on a lot of medication and was worried we may have trouble with repeat precriptions?.

I have read all the info on the site but I didn't really see any about disabled people. Would be grateful for any advice

Also are there any english speaking doctors in Alicante? Thanks

Catherine
Old Jun 21st 2008, 4:22 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Medical Care

Originally Posted by catherine20
Hi All, Just wanted to know if anybody living in Spain has a long term illness that needs medication? We are thinking of moving over but have a disabled son who is on a lot of medication and was worried we may have trouble with repeat precriptions?.

I have read all the info on the site but I didn't really see any about disabled people. Would be grateful for any advice

Also are there any english speaking doctors in Alicante? Thanks

Catherine
Have a read HERE Also contact the DWP and ask their advice as they should have all the details of what you can claim.
Old Jun 22nd 2008, 7:04 pm
Just Joined

Thanks will have a look
Old Jun 22nd 2008, 7:25 pm
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

If someone's on disability benefit then I think that can be transferred here can't it?
Old Jun 22nd 2008, 7:42 pm
Just Joined

Hi Mitz, I wasn't worried about benefits I wanted to know about medical care. What the system is like over there ? if there were any english speaking doctors? As my son has a very complicated medical condition.

Thanks Catherine
Old Jun 22nd 2008, 9:53 pm
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Mitz, I wasn't worried about benefits I wanted to know about medical care. What the system is like over there ? if there were any english speaking doctors? As my son has a very complicated medical condition.

Thanks Catherine
I haven't used the state system as I am pre retirement and therefore have private health. However I keep hearing that the state system is excellent from people that have used it. There are English speakers for sure, but it may be that you need to take an interpreter. There are people who do it on a day basis, or you can maybe contact one of the help organisations i.e. http://www.helpofdenia.com/
Not sure if there is one in Alicante

Will you be able to qualify for state care then?
Old Jun 23rd 2008, 11:02 am
Just Joined

thanks mitzy, I will look into that. I didn't think of private health care maybe that would be a better option for my son.

regards, catherine
Old Jun 23rd 2008, 1:12 pm

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

thanks mitzy, I will look into that. I didn't think of private health care maybe that would be a better option for my son.

regards, catherine
Private health care is always available and to a very high standard but Private Health Insurance is unlikely to be possible if your son has a pre-existing condition.

A visit to a doctor is usually 40-50 euros and a consultant will charge nearer 60-100 euros.
Old Jun 23rd 2008, 1:48 pm
Just Joined

Thanks Fred, but from what I have been reading it seems my son will be entitled to free health care with form E121 that I get here before I come to Spain
Old Jun 27th 2008, 9:44 am
Just Joined

SOUXIE101 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks Fred, but from what I have been reading it seems my son will be entitled to free health care with form E121 that I get here before I come to Spain
Hi Catherine - re the E121 - is either one of you at retirement age --?
Old Jun 27th 2008, 9:58 am
Just Joined

Hi Souxie No we are not at retirement age but I was lead to believe that because our son is disabled he would get this E121??

Catherine
Old Jun 27th 2008, 4:30 pm
Just Joined

SOUXIE101 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Souxie No we are not at retirement age but I was lead to believe that because our son is disabled he would get this E121??

Catherine
Hi Catherine - ring Newcastle and check before you make any move to coming over here. I was lead to beleive the E121 is only for pensioners, I may be wrong. They have also changed the law from June 5th 08 for the Valencian Community regarding the E106, ( under retirement age) and are now not issuing them. The Health system here is wonderful once you get into it. Where are you intending to live ?
Old Jun 27th 2008, 5:18 pm

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

The E121 is available to people on long-term Incapacity Benefit, Severe Disablement Allowance, widow's benefits, bereavement benefits or State Pension when they are living in another EEA country - it is not restricted to pensioners.

The E106 is a similar EU wide form and the Valencian Community have to honour it just as is done in the rest of Spain. They have only removed health cover for people who were not entitled to it in the first place but were given it as a local (Valencian) concession.
Old Jun 29th 2008, 3:07 pm
Just Joined

Thanks Fred for all the info, I thought that was the case.

Catherine
Old Jun 29th 2008, 3:08 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by SOUXIE
Hi Catherine - ring Newcastle and check before you make any move to coming over here. I was lead to beleive the E121 is only for pensioners, I may be wrong. They have also changed the law from June 5th 08 for the Valencian Community regarding the E106, ( under retirement age) and are now not issuing them. The Health system here is wonderful once you get into it. Where are you intending to live ?
We are moving to Alicante