Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Meat, Have you noticed? I have

Wikiposts

Meat, Have you noticed? I have

Old Oct 13th 2011, 8:39 am

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Meat, Have you noticed? I have

Originally Posted by adra04778
What is ribeye steak called in Spain, I don't recall seeing it, and its so tasty normally
Spanish butchers cut their meat differently to UK butchers and there may well not be a direct equivalent to the UK cuts.

This site may help.

http://www.vittleante.com/English-Sp...eef_Cuts_Res_0
Old Oct 13th 2011, 9:26 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond repute

Bread and dripping, in my experience, never saw a pig. It was the drippings, literally, from a nice fatty beef roast. And of course bread!
Old Oct 13th 2011, 9:21 pm
Forum Regular

Alectryon has much to be proud ofAlectryon has much to be proud ofAlectryon has much to be proud ofAlectryon has much to be proud ofAlectryon has much to be proud ofAlectryon has much to be proud ofAlectryon has much to be proud ofAlectryon has much to be proud ofAlectryon has much to be proud ofAlectryon has much to be proud ofAlectryon has much to be proud of

Yes, bread and dripping was always beef dripping - even chips were cooked in it. The other was bread and lard - that was pig fat. Both were salted and a sprinkling of black pepper. After the world war (the second one that is, I ain't that old) it was a staple amongst the poorer classes, of which we were a part.
Old Oct 14th 2011, 11:07 am
Not Banned (yet)

steviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Alectryon
Yes, bread and dripping was always beef dripping - even chips were cooked in it. The other was bread and lard - that was pig fat. Both were salted and a sprinkling of black pepper. After the world war (the second one that is, I ain't that old) it was a staple amongst the poorer classes, of which we were a part.
Well I stand corrected. In my defence, I never ate bread and lard (or dripping), it was the previous generation who had that hardship. But it shows that when you are genuinely hungry, you will eat most things.
Old Oct 14th 2011, 4:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

johnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by steviedeluxe
Well I stand corrected. In my defence, I never ate bread and lard (or dripping), it was the previous generation who had that hardship. But it shows that when you are genuinely hungry, you will eat most things.
Toast and beef dripping. I would now consider that a treat.

You need fat on meat to get the best out of it when cooking. Those fat free joints do not seem to me to be a 'proper joint', similar to those served in some pubs as a Sunday roast. Give me a joint with its own fat on it anytime, much tastier and more attractive to look at.
Old Oct 14th 2011, 7:07 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond repute

It was a treat snapped up within moments at the pub I used to work at in London in the late 70s early 80s; Sunday mornings after the roast had been cooked, the sliced french bread and (by then set) dripping was put out on the bar as freebies and did not last long!!
Old Oct 14th 2011, 8:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

Rotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond repute

No fat,no flavor
Old Oct 16th 2011, 8:28 pm
Forum Regular

xxfrecklesxx is just really nicexxfrecklesxx is just really nicexxfrecklesxx is just really nicexxfrecklesxx is just really nicexxfrecklesxx is just really nicexxfrecklesxx is just really nicexxfrecklesxx is just really nicexxfrecklesxx is just really nicexxfrecklesxx is just really nice

Originally Posted by Rotor
No fat,no flavor
yup.... When I but a pork joint, I buy a shoulder with the fat running through it , then get a nice piece of fatty crackling to go on the top to baste it... flipping lovely...
Old Oct 16th 2011, 8:57 pm
BE Enthusiast

Rambling Rose is a glorious beacon of lightRambling Rose is a glorious beacon of lightRambling Rose is a glorious beacon of lightRambling Rose is a glorious beacon of lightRambling Rose is a glorious beacon of lightRambling Rose is a glorious beacon of lightRambling Rose is a glorious beacon of lightRambling Rose is a glorious beacon of lightRambling Rose is a glorious beacon of lightRambling Rose is a glorious beacon of lightRambling Rose is a glorious beacon of light

When we had not been living here long I once mistakenly ordered Pigs Cheek in a restaurant. I thought I had ordered pork stuffed with prunes and pinenuts which sounded tempting. However the finished dish which is apparently considered a delicacy, was about 90% glutenous fat. I found it completely inedible. They were quite upset when I didn't eat it. It cost 16 euros and was one of the most expensive dishes on the menu.
Old Oct 16th 2011, 9:43 pm
On the road again.

Dick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond repute

I bought a couple of joints of Ternera Gallego recently.
Not the most expensive of cuts by any means and not much to look at initially, needing just a little bit of trimming

However having spent quite a bit of time in the Galicia region and been very impressed with the care they took of their livestock up there, outdoors and grass fed for much of the year, I thought to give it a try.

Absolutely delicious, with that wonderful flavour that comes only from livestock kept under natural conditions.
Old Oct 16th 2011, 9:59 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

cricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dick Dasterdly

Absolutely delicious, with that wonderful flavour that comes only from livestock kept under natural conditions.

Just what I was saying a few weeks ago
Old Oct 17th 2011, 2:59 am
Banned

JLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond repute

What about the "tocino" that abounds in Galicia, sliced thin(it has to be) as eaten raw, and completly fat,no lean in sight,often given as a pincho in the bars......foul stuff.
Old Oct 17th 2011, 3:05 am
BE Forum Addict

paintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond repute

Ive never eaten morro.Does it taste the same as porky scratchings-I mean seasoned or does it just taste of fat?
Old Oct 17th 2011, 3:06 am
Banned

JLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by paintermujer
Ive never eaten morro.Does it taste the same as porky scratchings-I mean seasoned or does it just taste of fat?
it depends,if boiled its slimyish, like trotters, and the ears have a crunchy centre, like the gristle in every bite.......bet you cant wait to try it.
Old Oct 17th 2011, 3:11 am
BE Forum Addict

paintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond repute

Ive always been curious and have watched others really enjoy it, and it is very popular in lots of bars.But no Im gonna skip on it I think.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.