Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Meat eating in Spain

Meat eating in Spain

Old Jan 1st 2010, 10:19 am
HBG
Lost in BE Cyberspace

HBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Meat eating in Spain

I once forgot the difference between agua and cerveza, and my dogs were given a bowl of beer outside a country restaurant in Andalucia. They lapped it up and didn’t complain.
Old Jan 1st 2010, 10:48 am
CLR
Forum Regular

Location: Shetland/Granada Province and orginally the right side of the border.
CLR is a name known to allCLR is a name known to allCLR is a name known to allCLR is a name known to allCLR is a name known to allCLR is a name known to allCLR is a name known to allCLR is a name known to allCLR is a name known to allCLR is a name known to allCLR is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Elaine B.
My OH has been vegan for the past year and he's so much healthier and has lost lots of weight, another bonus for me is he now does most of the cooking.

I'm vegetarian and so are the kids but the vegan thing is a bit too much for me, can't live without cheese

Hi - can I ask what a typical vegans diet is for a day - i.e. breakfast, dinner, tea, supper, snacks etc.

thanks in advance
Old Jan 1st 2010, 12:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

Elaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by CLR
Hi - can I ask what a typical vegans diet is for a day - i.e. breakfast, dinner, tea, supper, snacks etc.

thanks in advance
Just asked my OH and he sent me this:

typical day's eating (remember, this is in the UK)

breakfast
muesli, soya milk and banana (or strawberries, blueberries)
and/or
toast, peanut butter and banana (or other fruit)
bagel

lunch
sandwich - mushroom paté lettuce & mustard, or salad-type things
soya yogurt
crackers with mushroom pate
soup
toast (you can get vegan margarine spread)
veggie samosas
pakoras
bahjis
beans

dinner
pasta with sauces (wholewheat spaghetti is really good with sauce)
veggie burgers
veggies sausages
potatoes
stir-fry with udon or soba noodles, or rice
vegetables
tofu (soft tofu is not nice - firm tofu, fried separately for several minutes on its own, then added to a dish gives a nice result) good source of protein

that's just a start, really - always remember to read every label and check the ingredients
Old Jan 1st 2010, 2:03 pm
Yaaarp

Madridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond repute

When I moved here I found the pictures useful for knowing what I was buying before I could speak the language and having lived in France prior to Spain I found the sight of moving food a little disturbing to start with in both countries.

If we didn't need/want a creature for its' meat or skin then it'd probably have been wiped out long ago. It would seem we care about a species up to a financial point. Maybe if we'd never had a use for cows , pigs etc. then maybe they wouldn't excist today.
We have been hunter/gatherers for quite some time now and a concious desision to become vegitarean doesn't change the make up of our internal body and how it works.
Old Jan 1st 2010, 3:29 pm
Forum Regular

warren d has much to be proud ofwarren d has much to be proud ofwarren d has much to be proud ofwarren d has much to be proud ofwarren d has much to be proud ofwarren d has much to be proud ofwarren d has much to be proud ofwarren d has much to be proud ofwarren d has much to be proud ofwarren d has much to be proud ofwarren d has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by HBG
It’s not natural human behaviour to eat animals, It’s only ignorant humans that think so. Fortunately, the tide is turning, and the ignorant are being driven back to the caves where they belong.
I would be very interested to hear how you think humans would have survived, without eating meat, before people started farming?
Old Jan 1st 2010, 4:59 pm
Banned

jojojojojojojojojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojojojojojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojojojojojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojojojojojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojojojojojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojojojojojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojojojojojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojojojojojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojojojojojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojojojojojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojojojojojojojojo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by HBG
It’s not natural human behaviour to eat animals, It’s only ignorant humans that think so. Fortunately, the tide is turning, and the ignorant are being driven back to the caves where they belong.
Its an established fact that the human body is designed to eat meat. Teeth, stomachs, intestines, bowels, enzymes..... are all geared for us to eat meat. As we're hunter gatherers we also are able to eat vegetation, so we´re pretty much omnivores! But our main source of nutrition is meat based. You can get almost the right nutrition from a vegetarian diet, but the proteins and minerals provided arent quite right.

In this day and age we are lucky enough to make the choice between eating meat or not, but it is a choice that we've made, not that we were designed to do. You'd not get far if you were to go on a paleolithic diet as a vegetarian.

I often wonder, if the whole population were to turn vegetarian, what on earth would happen to all the farms and animals ????

Jo xxx
Old Jan 1st 2010, 5:10 pm
bil
Banned

bil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jojojojojojojojojojojojo
Its an established fact that the human body is designed to eat meat. Teeth, stomachs, intestines, bowels, enzymes..... are all geared for us to eat meat. As we're hunter gatherers we also are able to eat vegetation, so we´re pretty much omnivores! But our main source of nutrition is meat based. You can get almost the right nutrition from a vegetarian diet, but the proteins and minerals provided arent quite right.

In this day and age we are lucky enough to make the choice between eating meat or not, but it is a choice that we've made, not that we were designed to do. You'd not get far if you were to go on a paleolithic diet as a vegetarian.

I often wonder, if the whole population were to turn vegetarian, what on earth would happen to all the farms and animals ????

Jo xxx
Well, it would make the Holocaust look amateurish, plus we wouldn't be able to eat them.

Then there's the other problem. What would we do with all the sweet bunny rabbits Ask them nicely not to eat our food?

As for evolution, well, meat eating has come late to us. We were originally omniverous plains apes that took to eating meat to stay alive when the grasslands took over.
Old Jan 1st 2010, 5:22 pm
Banned

jojojojojojojojojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojojojojojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojojojojojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojojojojojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojojojojojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojojojojojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojojojojojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojojojojojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojojojojojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojojojojojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojojojojojojojojo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bil
Well, it would make the Holocaust look amateurish, plus we wouldn't be able to eat them.

Then there's the other problem. What would we do with all the sweet bunny rabbits Ask them nicely not to eat our food?

As for evolution, well, meat eating has come late to us. We were originally omniverous plains apes that took to eating meat to stay alive when the grasslands took over.

Thats a contraversial one in the world of evolution!! did we branch away from our vegetarian cousins???? - some say we did and it was because of that our brains grew to become more intelligent (??) Others say that our particular branch of primates was always meat eating. A lot of so called vegetarian primates today get a fair amount of meat protein by eating small but significant amounts of insects on their food. Apparently some apes even use a stick to dig out ants and termites as a delicacy!!????

I think that humans and most primates are omnivores (hunter gatherers) by design and some humans have chosen to become vegetarians

Jo xxx
Old Jan 1st 2010, 5:29 pm
bil
Banned

bil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond repute

Thats a contraversial one in the world of evolution!! did we branch away from our vegetarian cousins???? - some say we did and it was because of that our brains grew to become more intelligent (??) Others say that our particular branch of primates was always meat eating. A lot of so called vegetarian primates today get a fair amount of meat protein by eating small but significant amounts of insects on their food. Apparently some apes even use a stick to dig out ants and termites as a delicacy!!????

I think that humans and most primates are omnivores (hunter gatherers) by design and some humans have chosen to become vegetarians

Jo xxx
Well, you can see fossils from that era, of hominids showing massive vitamin poisoning which would be explained by omnivores with little or no red meat in their diet suddenly eating shedloads of it.

Brain growth wouldn't change due to diet, it would require a massive step due to mutation. Access to scavenged meat would have allowed our ancestors to have survived when others died. There was such a step supposed to be to do with an increase due to a change in the reta mirable that cools the brain, which allowed an increase in size to take place without frying the brain.
Old Jan 1st 2010, 5:30 pm
bil
Banned

I'd still like to know how we could have a vegan diet without killing pests.
Old Jan 1st 2010, 5:53 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by bil
Well, you can see fossils from that era, of hominids showing massive vitamin poisoning which would be explained by omnivores with little or no red meat in their diet suddenly eating shedloads of it.

Brain growth wouldn't change due to diet, it would require a massive step due to mutation. Access to scavenged meat would have allowed our ancestors to have survived when others died. There was such a step supposed to be to do with an increase due to a change in the reta mirable that cools the brain, which allowed an increase in size to take place without frying the brain.

I dont know, but it was a serious theory when I was studying it, if I wasnt so tired and more "on the ball", I'd post the links of it all. (Went straight from a rather boozy new years eve party in the UK to the airport and flew back to Spain this morning - too tired to sleep now LOL)

As for a vegan diet without harming pests??? Quite honestly I think if the population became vegan, it would cause total chaos in the food chain, they'd probably invent some kind of humane deterent, but then you´d have a major insect problem. As for bigger farm animals I suspect the only place you´d be able to see a cow or a sheep would be in a zoo! So IMO it would ultimately cause the mass destruction and extinction of the animals that vegans are trying to protect.

Jo xxx

Last edited by jojojojojojojojojojojojo; Jan 1st 2010 at 5:58 pm.
Old Jan 1st 2010, 6:06 pm
bil
Banned

I dont know, but it was a serious theory when I was studying it, if I wasnt so tired and more "on the ball", I'd post the links of it all. (Went straight from a rather boozy new years eve party in the UK to the airport and flew back to Spain this morning - too tired to sleep now LOL)

As for a vegan diet without harming pests??? Quite honestly I think if the population became vegan, it would cause total chaos in the food chain, they'd probably invent some kind of humane deterent, but then you´d have a major insect problem. As for bigger farm animals I suspect the only place you´d be able to see a cow or a sheep would be in a zoo! So IMO it would ultimately cause the mass destruction and extinction of the animals that vegans are trying to protect.

Jo xxx
Plus we'd be knee deep in rabbits.

If it's immoral to kill cows, it's immoral to eat rats or kill mosquitoes.
Old Jan 1st 2010, 6:22 pm

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

As this thread has now developed into a discussion about diets rather than anything to do with Spain I have moved it to Siesta Time.
Old Jan 1st 2010, 6:22 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by bil
Plus we'd be knee deep in rabbits.

If it's immoral to kill cows, it's immoral to eat rats or kill mosquitoes.
Quite!! Which is why its not a sensible plan for vegans or even vegetarians to promote their eating habits too much, even if it is with good intentions!!

Heck, we certainly dont need more mozzies!!!!! I'm afraid I get great pleasure by fly and mozzie swatting!

Jo xxx
Old Jan 1st 2010, 6:28 pm
bil
Banned

Quite!! Which is why its not a sensible plan for vegans or even vegetarians to promote their eating habits too much, even if it is with good intentions!!

Heck, we certainly dont need more mozzies!!!!! I'm afraid I get great pleasure by fly and mozzie swatting!

Jo xxx
Yeah, me too. I have to say tho that a diet with only a little red meat, dairy and gain based foods is a damn sight healthier.

(I would kill for a steak with roquefort sauce ...)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.