British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Spain (https://britishexpats.com/forum/spain-75/)
-   -   The meaning of the word Guiri (https://britishexpats.com/forum/spain-75/meaning-word-guiri-619061/)

Hondon Voyager Jul 10th 2009 7:15 am

Re: The meaning of the word Guiri

Originally Posted by hitchw (Post 7736699)
In my experience, and in the experience of family and friends, Guiri although in some cases is used in a joking manner, is an insult. Similar to black kids calling each other the n word (one of the ugliest words in existence) is used as a term of familiarity, but if used by another race is deemed an insult of an epic scale. I would never be happy to be called a guiri, i dont think it is remotely funny, and will always see it as an insult.
I was under the impression that chulo was meant as cheeky as in, que no seas chulo... sure that doesnt mean, dont be a pimp...!

Chaval, never imagined this could be used as an insult, always thought of this as lad or chap or something like that...

I agree, my 12 year old daughter has often been called a guiri by the spanish children and told to go back to where she has come from, which can be upsetting for her.

me me Jul 10th 2009 7:20 am

Originally Posted by Relampago (Post 7738574)
Depending on the context of the situation, meanings of " chulo "...

1) Something attractiveness, beautiful, superb, with charisma

2) Boastful

3) The man that " protects " and live of the prostitutes

That is a pimp. That definection makes it sound like Robin Hood and Maid Marion.

Tele Addict Jul 10th 2009 8:10 am

Originally Posted by Fortaleza (Post 7735280)
When a person who came to a village and spoke something different to Castellano

Not according to my dictionary (Spanish Royal Academy). It says "name given during 19th century civil war by the Carlistas to the Partidarios of the Christian Kingdom, and later to all Liberals and Government Soldiers".

Also an "Individual of the Guardia Civil".

lynnxa Jul 10th 2009 8:23 am

Originally Posted by Tele Addict (Post 7739584)
Not according to my dictionary (Spanish Royal Academy). It says "name given during 19th century civil war by the Carlistas to the Partidarios of the Christian Kingdom, and later to all Liberals and Government Soldiers".

so is that respect or an insult:confused:

:rofl:

Fortaleza Jul 10th 2009 8:51 am

Originally Posted by Tele Addict (Post 7739584)

But the reason the existing word of 'guiri' came to get its tourist meaning stems from Guirigay, gibberish - someone unable to speak Spanish were deemed to speaking guirigay, so they used guiri to refer to someone who was speaking guirigay.

jackytoo Jul 10th 2009 8:55 am

The spanish think it's an insult. When a neighbors kid used it infront of me he got a clip round the ear!

Lenox Jul 10th 2009 9:01 am

In the end - it's the kids (who can be the cruelest of all) who use it against the foreign kids.
As far as translations go - they can never be exact as society is different here, with different shades of meaning. The equivalent of our strongest word of all, the 'C word', is used here by all and sundry - little old ladies included - and has no negative impact. Odd, perhaps, but there you go.

Tele Addict Jul 10th 2009 9:20 am

Originally Posted by Lenox (Post 7739700)
little old ladies included - and has no negative impact.

That's barely a swear word. In English it only has one meaning; in Spanish it is idiomatic. I would say "el conejo" is much ruder in that respect.

cricketman Jul 10th 2009 9:21 am

Spain has some wonderful swear words and expressions. My favourite it "Me cago en la leche" (I think spelt like that) but you can replace leche with "la madre, tu madre, la puta... etc

Generally said when things go wrong.

cricketman Jul 10th 2009 9:22 am

Originally Posted by Tele Addict (Post 7739750)
That's barely a swear word. In English it only has one meaning; in Spanish it is idiomatic. I would say "el conejo" is much ruder in that respect.

agreed. You cant translate swear words. They come with lots of social context baggage!

littlelambfound Jul 10th 2009 10:48 am

cricketman:
Yes, that's one of my favorites. Never a culture to shy away from things scatological. In Catalunya, even those little scenarios depicting the crib scene with the birth of Christ, have a little man having a crap somewhere.
For me, nothing beats, "Me cargo en Dios" and "Me cago en tus muertos".

fionamw Jul 10th 2009 11:00 am

Originally Posted by littlelambfound (Post 7740008)
cricketman:
Yes, that's one of my favorites. Never a culture to shy away from things scatological. In Catalunya, even those little scenarios depicting the crib scene with the birth of Christ, have a little man having a crap somewhere.
For me, nothing beats, "Me cargo en Dios" and "Me cago en tus muertos".

Thought I'd heard it wasn't just Catalunya?

lynnxa Jul 10th 2009 11:18 am

Originally Posted by fionamw (Post 7740052)
Thought I'd heard it wasn't just Catalunya?

it's here too

It was explained to me as representing the life cycle

you live , you eat, you poo, it goes into the ground to help things grow for you to eat

they could have been lying to protect my 'british sensitivity' though

whitelinen Jul 10th 2009 11:40 am

Originally Posted by lynnxa (Post 7740110)
it's here too

It was explained to me as representing the life cycle

you live , you eat, you poo, it goes into the ground to help things grow for you to eat

they could have been lying to protect my 'british sensitivity' though

www.caganer.com they make a good present for the person who thinks they have everything:)

lynnxa Jul 10th 2009 12:14 pm

Originally Posted by whitelinen (Post 7740185)
www.caganer.com they make a good present for the person who thinks they have everything:)

I brought home a 'mannequin de pis' from Brussels as a gift for my parents from a school trip (appealed to my 12 year old sense of humour)

it got hidden right at the back of a display cabinet where it couldn't be seen:rofl: