Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Me Woods No Good

Me Woods No Good

Old Nov 15th 2008, 10:18 pm
Banned

correveidile will become famous soon enoughcorreveidile will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Me Woods No Good

Sapper, to me it looks like your wood burner is well under size for your needs if you wanted to heat the whole house with it. As a rough guideline, to heat a 300 metre house effectively you would need a 40 to 50 kilowatt heat source. If you look at an average medium/large free standing wood stove the nominal output is only 9 kilowatts. If you open the damper you might produce a little more heat, but at a cost, most of the energy in the wood will go straight up the flue. If you wanted to effectively heat 300 metres with wood you would need and open floor plan and one hell of a big stove (that would probably be unbearable to be near), or multiple units.
Old Nov 15th 2008, 10:20 pm
Forum Regular

sapper has a spectacular aura aboutsapper has a spectacular aura aboutsapper has a spectacular aura about

I have a question for everybody who has answered this thread did you ever go on a website in Uk talking about wood and woodburners? get a life and a proper heating system .
Old Nov 15th 2008, 10:25 pm
Banned

correveidile will become famous soon enoughcorreveidile will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Dick Dasterdly
I put them to use in the Winter to help push or pull warm air from the hot room into other areas and rooms of the house.
Box fans are the best for this. Put them in the cold room at floor level and move the cold air to the hot room. This seems to be a lot more effective than pumping the heated air.
Old Nov 15th 2008, 10:27 pm
Forum Regular

sapper has a spectacular aura aboutsapper has a spectacular aura aboutsapper has a spectacular aura about

Exaclty my point . Its localised heating of a room or nearly a room I am not knocking it i love it but its ornamental even at 12 Kilo watts. I think the only way to heat the house with wood would be to set fire to the house.
I have a energy efficient house but at this size i would have less time than a stoker on the Titanic if i tried to heat with Wood. Its dusty ,timeconsuming, uncontrolable. But i love it, does not heat the house though, and never can unless i put a wood burner in each room
Old Nov 15th 2008, 10:28 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by correveidile
Sapper, to me it looks like your wood burner is well under size for your needs if you wanted to heat the whole house with it. As a rough guideline, to heat a 300 metre house effectively you would need a 40 to 50 kilowatt heat source. If you look at an average medium/large free standing wood stove the nominal output is only 9 kilowatts. If you open the damper you might produce a little more heat, but at a cost, most of the energy in the wood will go straight up the flue. If you wanted to effectively heat 300 metres with wood you would need and open floor plan and one hell of a big stove (that would probably be unbearable to be near), or multiple units.
Its called central heating
Old Nov 15th 2008, 10:41 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by sapper
get a life and a proper heating system .
Is your idea of a proper heating system is one that relies on the tyrannical regimes of the Middle East or the speculation of the parasites of the world's money markets? Personally I'd rather see my hard earned cash go to the hard working small man in Spain, rather than it be wasted by rogue states on their war machines.

Last edited by correveidile; Nov 15th 2008 at 10:48 pm.
Old Nov 15th 2008, 11:02 pm
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

Blimey!

We were only talking about wood and look whats happened
Old Nov 15th 2008, 11:08 pm
Forum Regular

Well when you next have your wood delivered next or go to collect it insist it is by Buro .When you next put petrol in your chain saw or lubricate the blade use olive oil it will last 2 seconds. We have gone too far down the road No pun intended to live a life on a mountain scratching a living out of the land thats why the spanish sold us these plots and left to have a better life.I keep telling you i love the burner ,i love the life here but i am not freezing to death trying to convince myself that a woodburner will heat a house it wont. Or that if i use wood Iraq or Saudi Arabia will become a democracy. It will heat one room effectively the rest of the house is freezing .If you want to discuss the merits of charcoal table heaters well now you are talking.
I use no artificial heat from april to end sept relying totally on solar for hot water, we all do our bit. I think that mitigates my 19 litres of oil per week average or equivelant 16 euros per week average.
I was born in Lancashire you could not see a finger in front of you in the 50s/60s when people burned coal .That was what brought out the clean air act..
Old Nov 15th 2008, 11:09 pm
Forum Regular

Wood you believe it
Old Nov 15th 2008, 11:11 pm
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

My wood burner heats the whole of the house
Old Nov 15th 2008, 11:13 pm
Forum Regular

I knew it wood
Old Nov 15th 2008, 11:15 pm
Banned

betris has a reputation beyond reputebetris has a reputation beyond reputebetris has a reputation beyond reputebetris has a reputation beyond reputebetris has a reputation beyond reputebetris has a reputation beyond reputebetris has a reputation beyond reputebetris has a reputation beyond reputebetris has a reputation beyond reputebetris has a reputation beyond reputebetris has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by correveidile
Is your idea of a proper heating system is one that relies on the tyrannical regimes of the Middle East or the speculation of the parasites of the world's money markets? Personally I'd rather see my hard earned cash go to the hard working small man in Spain, rather than it be wasted by rogue states on their war machines.
Take the marajuana leaves off the wood before you burn it
Old Nov 15th 2008, 11:21 pm
Forum Regular

i lived in a woodburner, and when we got ome our dad used to beat us .You were lucky .We ad an open fire without wood, and when we got ome our dad used to beat us wi his belt .You were lucky. We ad no fire in fact we ad no house and when we got ome our dad used to beat us wit stove pipe from next doors woodburner .They were lucky they ad a woodburner it used to heat thole ouse .Well not thole ouse bit in front of it .Their dad never beat them he was to knackered fetchin wwood to feed it
Old Nov 15th 2008, 11:30 pm
Banned

betris has a reputation beyond reputebetris has a reputation beyond reputebetris has a reputation beyond reputebetris has a reputation beyond reputebetris has a reputation beyond reputebetris has a reputation beyond reputebetris has a reputation beyond reputebetris has a reputation beyond reputebetris has a reputation beyond reputebetris has a reputation beyond reputebetris has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sapper
i lived in a woodburner, and when we got ome our dad used to beat us .You were lucky .We ad an open fire without wood, and when we got ome our dad used to beat us wi his belt .You were lucky. We ad no fire in fact we ad no house and when we got ome our dad used to beat us wit stove pipe from next doors woodburner .They were lucky they ad a woodburner it used to heat thole ouse .Well not thole ouse bit in front of it .Their dad never beat them he was to knackered fetchin wwood to feed it
I think I know him .was his name mr alan.his nick name was woody.I dont know what became of him.he moved to america
Old Nov 15th 2008, 11:46 pm

poshnbucks has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by scampicat
We've been very lucky with wood.

Inherited some with the house.

Then a friend of ours cut about three poplar trees down from his land before he went back to France and gave us those.

About a month ago, our neighbour Miguel knocked down his extension so that he could build a new one and gave us all the wood from the timber framing. We have enough to last at least this winter.

This will be our our fifth winter. Hope we get lucky next year as I think it is really expensive if you have to buy it.

We don't light the stove every night, it is not our sole form of heating; it depends what room we are in.
Scampi you don't have a holiday home in the middle of the Amazon rain forest do you, The is a rather large area of missing wood there

Last edited by poshnbucks; Nov 15th 2008 at 11:58 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.