Matriculation

Old May 2nd 2020, 5:19 pm
Just Joined

EagleJ is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Matriculation

Having just purchased a property in Spain and currently in UK, we are heading to Spain as soon as we are allowed in order to live full time.
i have a one year old car in the UK that I can purchase from my Company at a heavily discounted rate upon my retirement.
I have read a lot of conflicting reports regarding changing headlights when registering a RHD in Spain. Some Itv stations seem to not worry and some do. My car has Xenon lights and I imagine that they would be expensive to change.
I would appreciate any advice especially if you have had recent experience.
Old May 2nd 2020, 8:53 pm
Dxf
BE Forum Addict

Dxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Matriculation

Hola,
You WILL need to change your headlights AND you must have either two reversing and high intensity rear lights OR you will have to change their position; and YES xenon lights are not cheap but a breakers yard may supply them cheaper

Davexf
Old May 3rd 2020, 9:20 am
BE Enthusiast

Longlegpete has a reputation beyond reputeLonglegpete has a reputation beyond reputeLonglegpete has a reputation beyond reputeLonglegpete has a reputation beyond reputeLonglegpete has a reputation beyond reputeLonglegpete has a reputation beyond reputeLonglegpete has a reputation beyond reputeLonglegpete has a reputation beyond reputeLonglegpete has a reputation beyond reputeLonglegpete has a reputation beyond reputeLonglegpete has a reputation beyond repute

As has been said you will have to change the direction of the beam but some headlights can be switched via a lever or similar so maybe that's what you have heard when stating some ITV stations do or don't insist on changing the lights
Old May 3rd 2020, 10:56 am
Forum Regular

bolton wanderer has a reputation beyond reputebolton wanderer has a reputation beyond reputebolton wanderer has a reputation beyond reputebolton wanderer has a reputation beyond reputebolton wanderer has a reputation beyond reputebolton wanderer has a reputation beyond reputebolton wanderer has a reputation beyond reputebolton wanderer has a reputation beyond reputebolton wanderer has a reputation beyond reputebolton wanderer has a reputation beyond reputebolton wanderer has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by EagleJ
Having just purchased a property in Spain and currently in UK, we are heading to Spain as soon as we are allowed in order to live full time.
i have a one year old car in the UK that I can purchase from my Company at a heavily discounted rate upon my retirement.
I have read a lot of conflicting reports regarding changing headlights when registering a RHD in Spain. Some Itv stations seem to not worry and some do. My car has Xenon lights and I imagine that they would be expensive to change.
I would appreciate any advice especially if you have had recent experience.
If you quote the make & model you could then get advice specific to your car. As mentioned all ITV stations check headlight beam alignment.
Old May 4th 2020, 9:00 am
BE Enthusiast

guesswork has a reputation beyond reputeguesswork has a reputation beyond reputeguesswork has a reputation beyond reputeguesswork has a reputation beyond reputeguesswork has a reputation beyond reputeguesswork has a reputation beyond reputeguesswork has a reputation beyond reputeguesswork has a reputation beyond reputeguesswork has a reputation beyond reputeguesswork has a reputation beyond reputeguesswork has a reputation beyond repute

I would suggest that you get a price for the whole process of matriculation. The cost may put you off given that you car is only a year old also many modern cars have switchable lights, therefore they do not need to be changed
Old May 4th 2020, 9:41 am
Started off with nothing

missile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond repute

I would suggest you sell it and buy a vehicle in Spain.
Old May 4th 2020, 10:55 am
Dxf
BE Forum Addict

Dxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by missile
I would suggest you sell it and buy a vehicle in Spain.
Hola

A one year old car has how much depreciation? One heck of a lot! Changing headlights could be as much as 2,000€ depending on make / model. The process of matriculation is around 600€ so long as he matriculates the car within 60 days of signing on the Padron (No first registration tax payable)
If a change of rear lights is necessary maybe up to 1,000€?

Balance this against the depreciation; however the real numbers should be known before a decision is made

Davexf
Old May 4th 2020, 11:29 am
Just Joined

Thank you all for your replies.
The vehicle is a Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV. Just over a year old, price new is around £40k but I am able to purchase at less than half that price.
As the vehicle is under manufacturers warranty for another four years, would it be advisable to have all adjustments done by a Mitsubishi main dealer in Spain?
It’s not a debate for this thread but I don’t mind the RHD aspect. I have driven a Rhd often on lhd roads and don’t have any issues, sometimes preferring it as we have very narrow windy roads surrounding us and we are able to gauge how close to drive to the ditch on our side as we are often having to take evasive actions from oncoming vehicles that won’t and can’t stop in time.
Old May 4th 2020, 1:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

Loafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond repute

The vehicle is a Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV. Just over a year old, price new is around £40k but I am able to purchase at less than half that price.
As the vehicle is under manufacturers warranty for another four years, would it be advisable to have all adjustments done by a Mitsubishi main dealer in Spain?
It’s not a debate for this thread but I don’t mind the RHD aspect. I have driven a Rhd often on lhd roads and don’t have any issues, sometimes preferring it as we have very narrow windy roads surrounding us and we are able to gauge how close to drive to the ditch on our side as we are often having to take evasive actions from oncoming vehicles that won’t and can’t stop in time.
Don't forget entering and leaving public parkings with barriers , a pain.

A nearly new car like this should have fully-switchable headlights . Definitely worth a check with a main dealer if you are getting such a bargain price.
Old May 4th 2020, 2:37 pm
Just Joined

This car has a very active and techie forum and after digging around on it the HID lights are apparently symmetrical and illuminate from the centre out. So they blind everyone.
I don’t know if that means I won’t need to change them or not.
Old May 4th 2020, 2:55 pm
BE Enthusiast

guesswork has a reputation beyond reputeguesswork has a reputation beyond reputeguesswork has a reputation beyond reputeguesswork has a reputation beyond reputeguesswork has a reputation beyond reputeguesswork has a reputation beyond reputeguesswork has a reputation beyond reputeguesswork has a reputation beyond reputeguesswork has a reputation beyond reputeguesswork has a reputation beyond reputeguesswork has a reputation beyond repute

One other to bear in mind is that a Rhd car on Spanish plates is of little value as it’s a limited market
Old May 4th 2020, 4:15 pm
Retired and loving it!

snikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond repute

I tried to bring in a Shogun, no idea how similar they are to Outlanders but some of the issues I had (which persuaded me not to do it) - bull bars, running boards etc. They said these had to be removed for the ITV as they are non-standard. I couldn't persuade them otherwise.
Old May 4th 2020, 4:21 pm
Dxf
BE Forum Addict

Hola

I have just re-read the OP first post and realised he said he had a one year old vehicle that he COULD purchase. If you haven't owned the car for a year then the FULL first registration tax is payable and it cannot be counted in your "Goods and chattels".
You should find out exactly how much this tax will be

My apologies but it really does make a difference

Davexf
Old May 4th 2020, 4:40 pm

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

With a PHEV the official (completely unrealistic) CO2 emissions will almost certainly put it in the 0% tax bracket.
Old May 4th 2020, 5:07 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Dxf
Hola

I have just re-read the OP first post and realised he said he had a one year old vehicle that he COULD purchase. If you haven't owned the car for a year then the FULL first registration tax is payable and it cannot be counted in your "Goods and chattels".
You should find out exactly how much this tax will be

My apologies but it really does make a difference

Davexf
Thanks for your input. All nuggets like this help me.
Fortunately it is registered in my name although owned by my company.
We have recently had solar power installed at our property so I am looking for a modern chargeable car, I have looked at the market and anything that is less than two years old on Spain is expensive.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.