Reload this Page >

Maternity Pay Nightmare

Maternity Pay Nightmare

Old Dec 7th 2017, 3:14 pm
Just Joined

DanHal is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Maternity Pay Nightmare

Hi,

My partner is currently trying to get maternity pay as she had a baby last month, but we are simply going around in circles.

Neither of us speak Spanish and every time we go to the INSS office they either:

a: Look at us as if we are stupid
b: Shout at us

We have submitted all the paperwork yet again today and thought we were getting somewhere. At the end of the appointment I tried to ask the guy when the first payment would be made using google translate to help. He just shook his head and gave us a "Comprobante de registro electronico", which appears to be to register for an online account with the INSS.

However, when I try to register there it asks for a "No. de solicitud". I have found this on the paperwork he gave us, but it is 10 digits long and the website only allows 9 digits.

Does anyone know if there is a way to speak to the INSS in English? After waiting 6 weeks so far to get some money things are starting to become desperate.
Old Dec 7th 2017, 3:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

tebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Maternity Pay Nightmare

It might be a good start to take a translator with you. It might cost you 25 Euro or so but it would be worth it.

Steve
Old Dec 7th 2017, 3:28 pm
Started off with nothing

missile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond repute

Get an interpreter.

Do you think you would be able to claim benefits in UK speaking only Spanish?
Old Dec 7th 2017, 3:44 pm
Just Joined

DanHal is an unknown quantity at this point

If we had the money we would get an interpreter today. Unfortunately, after 6 weeks of no help whatsoever, we are now left with about 150 euros to live on.

Yes, I would expect to be able to get benefits in the Uk if I only spoke Spanish, due to the fact that this right is enshrined in European law. Just the same as the hospitals, where they have posters up for the free translation service yet the doctors completely refuse to use it.
Old Dec 7th 2017, 3:50 pm

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DanHal
Hi,

My partner is currently trying to get maternity pay as she had a baby last month, but we are simply going around in circles.

Neither of us speak Spanish and every time we go to the INSS office they either:

Does anyone know if there is a way to speak to the INSS in English? After waiting 6 weeks so far to get some money things are starting to become desperate.
Hi and a warm welcome to the Spanish forum on BE. Myself and Fred James are the moderators for the Spanish forums whilst myself and BEVS moderate Europe. Please read the Site Rules http://britishexpats.com/site-rules/ adhere to them so that the site runs smoothly. Moderators are there to ensure that the rules of BE are maintained. This is so that members gain the information that they are looking for and find their experiences on the forums to be friendly and worthwhile.

Problems and complaints should always be addressed to a moderator who will look into the matter and deal with it efficiently and fairly. Our members who post in the Spain Forums are usually friendly and helpful with a wealth of knowledge about the issues of living in Spain. I hope that you enjoy your time participating in the forums.

Please let me know if you need any further help.

Rosemary
Old Dec 7th 2017, 4:04 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute

If we had the money we would get an interpreter today. Unfortunately, after 6 weeks of no help whatsoever, we are now left with about 150 euros to live on.

Yes, I would expect to be able to get benefits in the Uk if I only spoke Spanish, due to the fact that this right is enshrined in European law. Just the same as the hospitals, where they have posters up for the free translation service yet the doctors completely refuse to use it.

150 euros left? How did you manage before that and I would seriously consider if it's worth staying then.
Old Dec 7th 2017, 4:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

rachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond repute

gave us a "Comprobante de registro electronico",
I don't know the ins and outs of maternity pay, but 'comprobante' usually refers to a proof of some kind - a kind of receipt to show something that has been done or paid. Beyond that I can't guess as I don't know either what paperwork is required or what paperwork you presented.

Hopefully there's someone here who has done this before and can give you a hand but you might really need to think about a translator unless you have a kind spanish friend who can go with you.
Old Dec 7th 2017, 5:18 pm
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Moses2013
150 euros left? How did you manage before that and I would seriously consider if it's worth staying then.
+1
@DanHal: Even if the INSS grants some kind of "pay" after the birth, if Spain is like France, it would only be a one-off sum, which wouldn't go far (I've forgotten the amount I received, but it was quickly spent on nappies and other essentials in the first month). Family Allowances as such are usually paid monthly only after the second child, and payments are made to the mother, even if she's married.... Some one who has given birth in Spain will correct me if this isn't applicable to Spain!
It doesn't sound as though either of you is working, and, for your child's sake, you'd do best to seriously consider moving (back to the UK?) where you'd have less hassle getting benefits and other help.
Old Dec 7th 2017, 5:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

jonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond repute

Have you tried here?

https://www.citizensadvice.org.es/
Old Dec 7th 2017, 5:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

jonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond repute

If things are so bad go to the local church. The priest will most likely have loads of contacts of the English speaking variety and maybe able to guide you better than the more formal services.

Just a thought.
Old Dec 7th 2017, 6:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

If the worst were to come to the worst. Go and sit in the casualty dept with the mother and child and refuse to move until practical help is provided. Do not expect to be thanked by the staff though.
Old Dec 7th 2017, 6:09 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Could your wife's employer, or a work mate, help?
Old Dec 7th 2017, 7:22 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond repute

when I try to register there it asks for a "No. de solicitud". I have found this on the paperwork he gave us, but it is 10 digits long and the website only allows 9 digits.
This is probably a dumb comment because you will most likely have tried it but will it not accept the first 9 digits? The final digit of computer generated reference numbers is often a "check digit" and not always required.

Not very clear what exactly what benefit you are trying to claim. "Maternity pay" sounds like the salary her employer would pay her while she's on maternity leave but you wouldn't be claiming via the social security office would you. Is she an autonomo?
Old Dec 7th 2017, 7:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

rachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by EuroTrash
Not very clear what exactly what benefit you are trying to claim. "Maternity pay" sounds like the salary her employer would pay her while she's on maternity leave but you wouldn't be claiming via the social security office would you. Is she an autonomo?
There is a prestación for maternity, and yes, it's claimed through the SS office.
Old Dec 8th 2017, 7:32 am
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rachelk
There is a prestación for maternity, and yes, it's claimed through the SS office.
This must be the same as the "prestation" in France, but you don't have to claim it, the S.S. sets it all in motion as soon as the pregnancy has been officially declared, and it's paid automatically. To get it, you have to have undergone all the compulsory tests and examinations.
The OP hasn't said whether this is so for his gf, nor whether she has been working and contributing into the System. Nor where she gave birth...
Likewise to me, "maternity pay" is what the employer pays the employee during her maternity leave and has nothing to do with any prestations from the S.S.
Whatever, their situation is precarious and, if they intend to stay on regardless, they should seek help/advice from the Social Services in their Town Hall. If the OP gives his location, a BE member in the area may be able to give pointers for a free interpreter.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.