Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Maternity hospitals in Spain

Maternity hospitals in Spain

Old Jan 12th 2012, 2:21 pm
Just Joined

Sammie2012 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Maternity hospitals in Spain

Hi, I have just found out i am pregnant with my 3rd Child and i am due to move to Spain in March. With the baby not being due until September 2012 what do i need to do to arrange for prenatal care and having my baby? Thanks
Old Jan 12th 2012, 3:01 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

cricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Maternity hospitals in Spain

Originally Posted by Sammie2012
Hi, I have just found out i am pregnant with my 3rd Child and i am due to move to Spain in March. With the baby not being due until September 2012 what do i need to do to arrange for prenatal care and having my baby? Thanks
The big Q is do you speak Spanish? If not, then you will have to arrange for private ante-natal classes in an English part of the Costa Del Sol

Will you be paying social security? If not, then again you will need to go private

We had our baby here a few months ago on the state system and it was great. Good ante-natal classes, great midwifes at the hospital, everything 100%. But you must speak Spanish and have health cover
Old Jan 12th 2012, 3:11 pm
Forum Regular

tex_ritter has much to be proud oftex_ritter has much to be proud oftex_ritter has much to be proud oftex_ritter has much to be proud oftex_ritter has much to be proud oftex_ritter has much to be proud oftex_ritter has much to be proud oftex_ritter has much to be proud oftex_ritter has much to be proud oftex_ritter has much to be proud oftex_ritter has much to be proud of

Why do you have to speak Spanish?
Old Jan 12th 2012, 3:16 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

cricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tex_ritter
Because the ante-natal classes are in Spanish. I assumed thats what the OP meant by pre-natal care, but then I guess it may not be? So I'm not sure.

I've actually no idea what happens if you go to a state hospital or the maternity clinic not speaking Spanish. Probably depends on which one you go to whether you need to take a translator or not.

Knowing how important communication was during the birth, this is very important!
Old Jan 12th 2012, 3:20 pm
Just Joined

Sammie2012 is an unknown quantity at this point

Unfortunately i dont speak spainsh so i guess im a bit screwed there! I have read up that i need to get social security and health insurance sorted but no one will insure me as im pregnant and they run a 10 month scheme! im feeling a little upset at this! i have also read that they do things to you without asking your permission 1st ie episiotmy..... i do not want to have one of those, this is my 3rd pregnancy and i have never had any problems previously and with my last didnt have any pain relief at all! i am really hoping i can do this again! when you had your baby, did you feel like your antenatal care was good eg with scans ect? Many thanks for your reply
Old Jan 12th 2012, 3:41 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Unfortunately i dont speak spainsh so i guess im a bit screwed there! I have read up that i need to get social security and health insurance sorted but no one will insure me as im pregnant and they run a 10 month scheme! im feeling a little upset at this! i have also read that they do things to you without asking your permission 1st ie episiotmy..... i do not want to have one of those, this is my 3rd pregnancy and i have never had any problems previously and with my last didnt have any pain relief at all! i am really hoping i can do this again! when you had your baby, did you feel like your antenatal care was good eg with scans ect? Many thanks for your reply
Yes all the care was brilliant. 3 scans and 3 Drs checkups throughout the pregnancy. You get a "plan de parto" which is a pregnancy plan where you write down how you want the pregnancy and then the go through it with the midwife at the hospital.

They dont do anything you dont ask for, I dont know where that comes from. My wife wanted no drugs at all until it got too painful so then asked for an epidural, and no problem at all. They dont do anything without asking you first

This is where the language is so important though. If you cant communicate with the many different nurses and midwifes (we probably had 10 different people within the 30 hours we were there) then I have no idea how that works

There was a Russian woman in the hospital with us. She had her lawyer there the whole time to translate (poor man!). And I also overheard them saying that as they werent covered healthwise, they had to leave a 2000 euro deposit on the credit card before they could be admitted.
Old Jan 12th 2012, 4:01 pm
Banned

JLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond repute

I dont think you have to speak Spanish, it was a figure of speech. Not obligatory but advisable.
Ican see the reasoning, why would anyone put themselves in situation of not being able to communicate in such a "risky"procedure.

I would not want my wife to give birth in a country where she niether speaks or understands the language.
Old Jan 12th 2012, 5:36 pm
Forum Regular

tex_ritter has much to be proud oftex_ritter has much to be proud oftex_ritter has much to be proud oftex_ritter has much to be proud oftex_ritter has much to be proud oftex_ritter has much to be proud oftex_ritter has much to be proud oftex_ritter has much to be proud oftex_ritter has much to be proud oftex_ritter has much to be proud oftex_ritter has much to be proud of

Speaking Spanish was mentioned twice in the post. Makes you wonder how all the immigrants who don't speak English (and no, translators are not always there) in the UK get through child birth.
Old Jan 12th 2012, 5:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

Retired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond repute

Don't worry gal, if I may be so bold.
If you don't speak Spanish, take someone with you if possible. If not, they should be able to communicate enough in "broken" English, especially doctors.
I'd imagine there's a better grasp of English on the various "costas".
We're in the Basque country.
Where will you be??

You'll need to register with a local health centre, but you won't really be able to do that until you're in Spain & get your Residence paper from the local Town Hall (Ayuntamiento).
Old Jan 12th 2012, 5:47 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Speaking Spanish was mentioned twice in the post. Makes you wonder how all the immigrants who don't speak English (and no, translators are not always there) in the UK get through child birth.
You can "get through" childbirth in any language, but in my opinion it is not a good way to start a new life and risk the life and nerves of the mother

My wife giving birth was nerve wracking enough, I can't even imagine how that would feel if I couldnt understand the professionals who had my family's lives in their hands - and most importantly the woman given birth must be a nervous wreck

The immigrants in the UK are often coming from deprived countries, maybe even places where they dont have access to health services

For someone in the UK to come to Spain and choose to give birth with professionals who dont speak their language, to me sounds completely bizarre.

If you speak Spanish, have access to a good translator (who is also a friend) or can pay for English speaking professionals, then sure, no problem!
Old Jan 12th 2012, 5:56 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by retired in euzkadi
Don't worry gal, if I may be so bold.
If you don't speak Spanish, take someone with you if possible. If not, they should be able to communicate enough in "broken" English, especially doctors.
I'd imagine there's a better grasp of English on the various "costas".
We're in the Basque country.
Where will you be??

You'll need to register with a local health centre, but you won't really be able to do that until you're in Spain & get your Residence paper from the local Town Hall (Ayuntamiento).
1. We only spent 10 minutes with a Dr. The rest of the time was with various nurses and midwives. There is no way you will know if they can speak English or are willing to speak English. Not good for the nerves
2. You cant register with the health centre unless the woman or her husband is paying social security payments. If not, they will have to find a private clinic and when the time for the birth comes either go to a private hospital or go to a state hospital and pay with a credit card
Old Jan 12th 2012, 5:57 pm
squeaky clean

Location: Spain 4th feb 08 - October 11, now flits batck and forth from sunny Worthing
jojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond repute

I would imagine you'd feel quite vunerable if you dont speak Spanish and dont fully understand whats going on, but I'm sure someone on the ward will know some English, and you wont be the first birth that they've had to deal with, so they will know what they're doing....... AAAARRGGGHHHHHH, is the same in any language!!

jo xxx
Old Jan 12th 2012, 6:01 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by jojojojojo
I would imagine you'd feel quite vunerable if you dont speak Spanish and dont fully understand whats going on, but I'm sure someone on the ward will know some English, and you wont be the first birth that they've had to deal with, so they will know what they're doing....... AAAARRGGGHHHHHH, is the same in any language!!

jo xxx
Actually no

When the baby's head breaches, you have to follow careful instructions about when and when not to push or your baby can get brain damage

Happened to a relative of mine in the UK

And how are you meant to communicate whether you want your perineum cut? Or exactly what the drug they are offering you does? And when they ask you if you have any allergies etc etc

It is hugely irresponsible in my book. Birth is a serious business.
Old Jan 12th 2012, 6:43 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Mmmm allergies, I was asked by everyone I spoke to, up to maybe twenty times prior to my operation, guess what I had for dinner in the hospital, yeah fish, the only thing I am allergic to.
Old Jan 12th 2012, 6:57 pm
squeaky clean

Location: Spain 4th feb 08 - October 11, now flits batck and forth from sunny Worthing
jojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cricketman
Actually no

When the baby's head breaches, you have to follow careful instructions about when and when not to push or your baby can get brain damage

Happened to a relative of mine in the UK

And how are you meant to communicate whether you want your perineum cut? Or exactly what the drug they are offering you does? And when they ask you if you have any allergies etc etc

It is hugely irresponsible in my book. Birth is a serious business.
I know, I've had five of my own and been present at a couple! And most of those things can be communicated one way or another! Its not the third world, if there is an emergency, it will be dealt with, which is the main importance! Like I say there is bound to be someone who speaks English. But even beforehand at anti natal visits, requirements can be discussed - if not with language, with hand movements and a dictionary!

But yes, agreed it is better to have a translator or to speak the language

jo xxx

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.