Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Maternity Benefits for Self Employed ?

Maternity Benefits for Self Employed ?

Old May 13th 2016, 9:24 am
Just Joined

Sparkletini is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Maternity Benefits for Self Employed ?

Just found out we're expecting our first baby (really thrilled and excited)
Only problem is that my husband has a new job in Cds, starting next month.

I am self employed, and as such if I live in the UK, entitled to Maternity Allowance £139.58 a week for 39 weeks (£5443.62)
I've spoken to a UK advisor, they say if I move to Spain and register to pay tax & social security there, then I will no longer be entitled to MA in the UK.
Fair enough.

Our plan was always for me to come to Spain and register as Autonoma, but we never thought about having a baby here, so am trying to find out details.
I realise I have to be paying into the system for 180 days to have access to hospital care.
Does anyone know if Spain does something like Maternity Allowance (for self employed ladies).
If so, does anyone know how much it is ?

Would love to hear from ladies (and gentlemen), with experience of this subject.

Old May 13th 2016, 9:52 am

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Maternity Benefits for Self Employed ?

Hi and a warm welcome to the Spanish forum on BE. Myself and Fred James are the moderators for the Spanish forums whilst BEVS moderates Europe. Moderators are there to ensure that the site runs smoothly within the rules of BE. This is so that members gain the information that they are looking for and find their experiences on the forums to be friendly and worthwhile.

Problems and complaints should always be addressed to a moderator who will look into the matter and deal with it efficiently and fairly. Our members who post in the Spain Forums are usually friendly and helpful with a wealth of knowledge about the issues of living in Spain. I hope that you enjoy your time participating in the forums.

Please let me know if you need any further help.

Rosemary
Old May 13th 2016, 10:20 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

cricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sparkletini
Just found out we're expecting our first baby (really thrilled and excited)
Only problem is that my husband has a new job in Cds, starting next month.

I am self employed, and as such if I live in the UK, entitled to Maternity Allowance £139.58 a week for 39 weeks (£5443.62)
I've spoken to a UK advisor, they say if I move to Spain and register to pay tax & social security there, then I will no longer be entitled to MA in the UK.
Fair enough.

Our plan was always for me to come to Spain and register as Autonoma, but we never thought about having a baby here, so am trying to find out details.
I realise I have to be paying into the system for 180 days to have access to hospital care.
Does anyone know if Spain does something like Maternity Allowance (for self employed ladies).
If so, does anyone know how much it is ?

Would love to hear from ladies (and gentlemen), with experience of this subject.

My wife has had two children while being self-employed

She got paid maternity leave payments for 4 months at around 800 euros per month. And then you get 100 euros off your social security payments until the child is 3 years old. Note that you must continue to pay your social security payments while you are on maternity leave. The minimum social security payment is 265 euros per month, although there are some deductions for the first 2 years you are self/employed

Unfortunately I suspect you may not be entitled to these benefits as you need to be paying social security payments for at least 6 months (I think) before you go on maternity leave
Old May 13th 2016, 11:46 am
Just Joined

Sparkletini is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by cricketman
My wife has had two children while being self-employed

She got paid maternity leave payments for 4 months at around 800 euros per month. And then you get 100 euros off your social security payments until the child is 3 years old. Note that you must continue to pay your social security payments while you are on maternity leave. The minimum social security payment is 265 euros per month, although there are some deductions for the first 2 years you are self/employed

Unfortunately I suspect you may not be entitled to these benefits as you need to be paying social security payments for at least 6 months (I think) before you go on maternity leave
Hi cricketman

Thanks for your reply.

It's understandable that there would be a minimum time to pay in (6 months).
Sucks for me though