Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Marrying in Gibraltar (Paraguayan and UK Citizen)

Marrying in Gibraltar (Paraguayan and UK Citizen)

Old Feb 28th 2018, 10:12 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Marrying in Gibraltar (Paraguayan and UK Citizen)

Originally Posted by crematesjay
Yes. She has alot of family there. Mother.... Sisters and so on
Okay, so that's probably the best course of action. She will need somewhere to stay however whilst the visa is being processed. This might take a couple of weeks or several months. Something to bear in mind.
Old Feb 28th 2018, 10:13 pm
Banned

crematesjay is an unknown quantity at this point

Somewhere to stay? As in what country?
Old Feb 28th 2018, 10:16 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

Somewhere to stay? As in what country?
Accommodation, in a country other than Paraguay, if she cannot go back there. Presumably somewhere in Latin America. She's likely to be without her passport for the duration of the application process.
Old Feb 28th 2018, 10:19 pm
Banned

Oh ok. That is the difficult part. She has friends in Spain she could easily stay but obviously from what you are saying she needs to attend a VAC in.the America's. She has only family in Paraguay and be very difficult for her to stay else where. This is alot more difficult than I thought. Again you have been a great help. I just wish there was a simpler solution...
Old Feb 28th 2018, 10:24 pm

Oh ok. That is the difficult part. She has friends in Spain she could easily stay but obviously from what you are saying she needs to attend a VAC in.the America's. She has only family in Paraguay and be very difficult for her to stay else where. This is alot more difficult than I thought. Again you have been a great help. I just wish there was a simpler solution...
No worries. Hopefully it will give you some food for thought to come up with a solution.
Old Mar 1st 2018, 7:35 am
Banned

I am entitled to an Irish passport (through my grandparents). If I was to get it (which i was in the process of doing due to the Brexit issue), would I qualify for the EEA freedom of movement, and she be able to piggybank to UK with me?
Old Mar 1st 2018, 8:35 am
Banned

Or if i am married to her, would i be able to apply for a 'Family Permit'
Old Mar 1st 2018, 9:57 am

I am entitled to an Irish passport (through my grandparents). If I was to get it (which i was in the process of doing due to the Brexit issue), would I qualify for the EEA freedom of movement, and she be able to piggybank to UK with me?
Or if i am married to her, would i be able to apply for a 'Family Permit'
Not unless you renounced your British citizenship.
Old Mar 1st 2018, 11:27 am
Banned

So let me get this straight. Is it best to renounce my citizenship before or after I marry her? When I do marry her we can fly straight from Gibraltar to UK. Apply for a 'Family Permit' or a 'Spouse Visa'? Or can i transfer the 'Family Permit' to 'Spouse Visa' while we are in the UK?
Old Mar 7th 2018, 4:10 pm

So let me get this straight. Is it best to renounce my citizenship before or after I marry her? When I do marry her we can fly straight from Gibraltar to UK. Apply for a 'Family Permit' or a 'Spouse Visa'? Or can i transfer the 'Family Permit' to 'Spouse Visa' while we are in the UK?
It's best not to renounce your citizenship at all. It's expensive, likely to take months and with Brexit looming it's not a very smart move if your end destination is the UK.

If she cannot go back to Paraguay then she either needs to regularise her status in Spain or head to a third country in the Americas where she can stay in order to make the application.