Reload this Page >

marriage in Gibraltar

marriage in Gibraltar

Old Jul 18th 2012, 9:04 am
Banned

BAT7311 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default marriage in Gibraltar

I am British and my gf is from BELARUS . we want to get married ín éngland´
but she needs to pass a English test (ket cambridge) and then a special marriage visa to come to England just for the wedding .if we get married in GIBRALTAR (subject to their rules) is that counted EXACTLY the same under ENGLISH law as getting married in say london ..
none of this has anything to do with permisson to stay in the uk...just want to know about the legality of the marriage
Old Jul 18th 2012, 9:20 am
BE Forum Addict

bxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: marriage in Gibraltar

My late husband and I married on Gibralter, one english man /one scottish lass. Lovely settings available if you qualify, but you will need to think of later rather than sooner maybe, as they are usually very busy.

Try a look at this link for entry requirements, good luck.

http://www.gibnet.com/marriage/index.htm

The pdf documents on the left would be worth reading.
Old Jul 18th 2012, 9:26 am
Just Joined

Poppy Mae is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by BAT7311
but she needs to pass a English test (ket cambridge) and then a special marriage visa to come to England just for the wedding .if we get married in GIBRALTAR (subject to their rules) is that counted EXACTLY the same under ENGLISH law as getting married in say london ..
none of this has anything to do with permisson to stay in the uk...just want to know about the legality of the marriage

Hi BAT7311, I was married in Gibraltar and as far as I understand a marriage in Gibraltar is legal under English law giving both partners full cover of the law of the land. All though England will have no record of your marriage so any personal records held there will have to be change giving your wife's information a copy of your wedding certificate will be required for this. When I was married I was told by the registrar that the wedding would not be recognised in Spain for legal paper work unless we had a certificate with an Apostille stamp on the back, quite painless you just have to pay the extra money and it will all be done for you. Hope all goes well for you and your girlfriend.
Old Jul 18th 2012, 11:13 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Fredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond repute

First of all your girlfriend will need a visa to visit Gibraltar:-

http://www.gibraltar.gov.gi/visa

With regards to getting married read the government site :-

http://www.gibraltar.gov.gi/getting-married
Old Jul 18th 2012, 11:29 am
Banned

Originally Posted by Poppy Mae
Hi BAT7311, I was married in Gibraltar and as far as I understand a marriage in Gibraltar is legal under English law giving both partners full cover of the law of the land. All though England will have no record of your marriage so any personal records held there will have to be change giving your wife's information a copy of your wedding certificate will be required for this. When I was married I was told by the registrar that the wedding would not be recognised in Spain for legal paper work unless we had a certificate with an Apostille stamp on the back, quite painless you just have to pay the extra money and it will all be done for you. Hope all goes well for you and your girlfriend.
so they do that at the same time as you get married do they ....have you been asked to produce this in spain and was it ok
Old Jul 18th 2012, 11:33 am
Banned

Originally Posted by Fredbargate
First of all your girlfriend will need a visa to visit Gibraltar:-

http://www.gibraltar.gov.gi/visa

With regards to getting married read the government site :-

http://www.gibraltar.gov.gi/getting-married
my info is that as long as she has a 12month open UK visa she dont need a special gib one???

she has a EUROVISA as she works as a teacher in VILNIUS and fly from there via ryanair to barca

also i might need my dad to post some papers out from english anyone know a ´´mailbox ´´ company in gib??

Last edited by BAT7311; Jul 18th 2012 at 11:44 am.
Old Jul 18th 2012, 11:54 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Fredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond repute

my info is that as long as she has a 12month open UK visa she dont need a special gib one???
Yes that is confirmed at the bottom of the link I posted, Sorry I did not read the full document
Old Jul 18th 2012, 12:21 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by Fredbargate
Yes that is confirmed at the bottom of the link I posted, Sorry I did not read the full document
no i was not picking holes ,i was throwing it out there for someone who could confirm it directly ...... i will ring em near the time .....
anyone now a cheap clean place to stay INSIDE/OUTSIDE the gib fence
Old Jul 18th 2012, 12:28 pm
Just Joined

so they do that at the same time as you get married do they ....have you been asked to produce this in spain and was it ok
Yes we used it just recently when we registered on the health service here, hubby is a pensioner and I'm registered as his dependent, they asked to see our marriage certificate and thankfully all was well.
Old Jul 18th 2012, 6:42 pm

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Poppy Mae
Yes we used it just recently when we registered on the health service here, hubby is a pensioner and I'm registered as his dependent, they asked to see our marriage certificate and thankfully all was well.
As Concierge for the Spanish section of BE I would like to say hello and welcome.

BE is a very large expat website, so if you have problems finding your way around we have concierges who will try to direct you. The moderators for the Spanish forums are Mitzyboy and Fred James, moderators are there to ensure that the site runs smoothly within the rules of BE. Problems and complaints should always be addressed to a moderador who will look into the matter and deal with it efficiently and fairly. Our members who post in the Spain Forums are friendly and helpful with a wealth of knowledge of the issues of living in Spain. At the top of the page you will find a quirkily named thread called Free Beer which is full of important and useful information. Hope you enjoy your time participating in the forums.

Please let me know if you need any further help.

Rosemary
Old Jul 18th 2012, 6:59 pm
Banned

ok so we now have a gib/english marriage ....
now if im registered as living in spain ,can she also get residence as i am eu citizen
is this still ok

Residency Card for EU Citizen Family Members

are these still current

http://costablanca.angloinfo.com/cou.../residency.asp

http://www.spainexpat.com/spain/info...ouse-in-spain/

Last edited by BAT7311; Jul 18th 2012 at 7:42 pm.
Old Jul 19th 2012, 11:52 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Rosemary
As Concierge for the Spanish section of BE I would like to say hello and welcome.

BE is a very large expat website, so if you have problems finding your way around we have concierges who will try to direct you. The moderators for the Spanish forums are Mitzyboy and Fred James, moderators are there to ensure that the site runs smoothly within the rules of BE. Problems and complaints should always be addressed to a moderador who will look into the matter and deal with it efficiently and fairly. Our members who post in the Spain Forums are friendly and helpful with a wealth of knowledge of the issues of living in Spain. At the top of the page you will find a quirkily named thread called Free Beer which is full of important and useful information. Hope you enjoy your time participating in the forums.

Please let me know if you need any further help.

Rosemary

Thank you Rosemary for the welcome.
Old Jul 19th 2012, 3:13 pm

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

Yes apart from the new rules that insist on proof of income and full health cover.

See this thread

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=757881
Old Mar 25th 2013, 12:26 pm
Just Joined

FredFlinstone is an unknown quantity at this point

I wonder if anyone can help. I'm getting married in Gibraltar in a couple of months and my fiancée is not from the EU while I'm British.
We live in Spain and will go back to Spain, where I have a job, once we get married. We then want my then wife to get her residency based
on her marriage to a EU(UK) citizen.

The question is whether once we get married in Gibraltar we need to get Certificado de reconocimiento de un matrimonio for the Spanish
authorities. This Certificado de reconocimiento is needed, apparently, if the marriages is celebrated outside of Spain or UK. But I am not certain what exactly is Gibraltar. It is officially a UK overseers territory therefore don't know if we need this certificate or simply just getting an apostille stamp in Gibraltar would be sufficient.

I asked at the UK embassy but they will not tell me saying only that it is up to the Spanish authorities nor will they tell me about the status of Gibraltar other than it being a UK overseas territory.

Can anyone please tell me if we need this Certificado de reconocimiento de un matrimonio???

Thank you all
Old Mar 26th 2013, 11:58 am
Forum Regular

purpleflower is an unknown quantity at this point

The apostille stamped marriage certificate from Gibraltar will be fine, order a couple of copies too, they will probably be needed.