Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Marriage of Convenience

Marriage of Convenience

Old Mar 7th 2021, 10:11 am
Started off with nothing

missile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond repute
Default Marriage of Convenience

I wonder if we shall see a rise in marriage of convenience for those wishing to leave UK to Spain?

EU-Family Regrouping (Marriage Visa) (spanishpropertyinsight.com)

Last edited by Fred James; Mar 7th 2021 at 10:22 am.
Old Mar 7th 2021, 10:58 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Marriage of Convenience

Funny you should post that. In France I'm signed up for regular administrative/legal updates and last week's bulletin was about when a loveless marriage can be annulled and when it can't. It seems to be making quite a fine point. A marriage of convenience is fine, say an older man marries a younger woman because he wants someone to care for him and she wants financial security. As I understand it, for it to be annulled one of the partners must have entered into the marriage for a purpose that has nothing to do with actually wanting to be married to the other
https://www.service-public.fr/partic...4?xtor=EPR-100
Old Mar 7th 2021, 12:32 pm
Started off with nothing

missile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond repute

Given that women generally outlive their partners, I would not be surprised if there was an increase rich widows looking for a younger partner. SHIRLEY VALENTINE (1989) movie trailer - Hippie Fish Mykonos - Bing video
Old Mar 7th 2021, 1:38 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond repute

It's a long time since I watched Shirley Valentine but I thought the whole point was that she's had it with men. Doesn't she leave her husband behind in the UK and make a new life for herself solo?
Old Mar 7th 2021, 3:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

tebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ETwenthome
It's a long time since I watched Shirley Valentine but I thought the whole point was that she's had it with men. Doesn't she leave her husband behind in the UK and make a new life for herself solo?
That indeed was the idea of the Shirley Valentine film but eventually she meets and has a holiday affair with a taverna owner (tom conti) typical chick-flick from the 80's

Steve
Old Mar 7th 2021, 4:12 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

What defines a marriage of convenience? Many older men and women marry later in life to have a partner. Someone to share company with, travel, socialize, etc. and love and sexual relations are not necessarily a part of it. Nor is financial gain. Convenience in this marriage is for both spouses.

If, however, you are speaking of a marriage where the reason for entering the marriage for profit or a particular benefit that only benefits one spouse, then you are speaking about what might be seen as a fraudulent marriage. It does have to be an April/December marriage. It could be an April/May marriage but it only is a convenience to one spouse and unless the other spouse is aware that this is the reason for the marriage, it is a hurtful and destructive marriage.

We see this many times in the US in the marriage based visa section. Meet one time after meeting online, get married and when the green card is obtained file for divorce.
Old Mar 7th 2021, 4:24 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by tebo53
That indeed was the idea of the Shirley Valentine film but eventually she meets and has a holiday affair with a taverna owner (tom conti)
Yes but then she decides to go back and get a job and stay there on her own, doesn't she. I remember the scene near the end when she walks back into the taverna with her suitcase while Tom Conti is chatting up his next week's squeeze. He looks horrified because he thinks she's come back because of him, but she laughs and says no, I've come back because I like it here, Gie's a job chuck, I can do your job and you'll have more time to spend with the ladies.

Green Card (Gérard Dépardieu) is another great film that springs to mind. Loved it but again, I can't remember what happens at the end!
Old Mar 7th 2021, 5:30 pm
BE Enthusiast

Joppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ETwenthome
Green Card (Gérard Dépardieu) is another great film that springs to mind. Loved it but again, I can't remember what happens at the end!
Depardieu gets deported, but not before the pair fall in love and look forward to getting together again.