Marmalade

Old Jan 19th 2022, 4:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

Retired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond repute
Default Marmalade

Does anyone out there make marmalade?
Managed to get a big box of Seville oranges online this year. You'd think after so many years making the stuff, I'd be good at it, but my main problem has always been getting the right setting point, when the resulting marmalade is neither too runny nor too dry. Usually it's a bit too dry.
Does anyone have any tips?
I bought a thermometer this year as they say the setting point is 104ÂșC. It might help, hopefully.
But I'd prefer people's experiences on the subject.
Many thanks
Old Jan 19th 2022, 6:18 pm
Forum Regular

airways is a name known to allairways is a name known to allairways is a name known to allairways is a name known to allairways is a name known to allairways is a name known to allairways is a name known to allairways is a name known to allairways is a name known to allairways is a name known to allairways is a name known to all
Default Re: Marmalade

Yes! I have just made loads of it from the tree in front of my window. Setting point is 105C but I have found that the pectin content of the oranges varies year to year and this year I had to add a teaspoon of pectin to make it set.

I like to cook mine a little extra to get the deeper orange colour and deeper flavour.

Old Jan 20th 2022, 6:59 am
BE Forum Addict

spainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond repute

Looks fantastic I have to settle for Mercadona's own brand which is not bad and sometimes Duerrs from the Expat supermarket.
Old Jan 20th 2022, 7:15 am
BE Forum Addict

Retired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by airways
Yes! I have just made loads of it from the tree in front of my window. Setting point is 105C but I have found that the pectin content of the oranges varies year to year and this year I had to add a teaspoon of pectin to make it set.

I like to cook mine a little extra to get the deeper orange colour and deeper flavour.

That looks excellent. I did buy a bottle of pectin in September when we were in England, but have never seen it on sale here.
Old Jan 20th 2022, 9:06 am
Forum Regular

airways is a name known to allairways is a name known to allairways is a name known to allairways is a name known to allairways is a name known to allairways is a name known to allairways is a name known to allairways is a name known to allairways is a name known to allairways is a name known to allairways is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Retired in Euskadi
That looks excellent. I did buy a bottle of pectin in September when we were in England, but have never seen it on sale here.
Thanks. I had to order it on Amazon in the end and now have enough to outlast my lifetime!!!
Old Jan 21st 2022, 9:44 am
Banned

agree_to_disagree has a reputation beyond reputeagree_to_disagree has a reputation beyond reputeagree_to_disagree has a reputation beyond reputeagree_to_disagree has a reputation beyond reputeagree_to_disagree has a reputation beyond reputeagree_to_disagree has a reputation beyond reputeagree_to_disagree has a reputation beyond reputeagree_to_disagree has a reputation beyond reputeagree_to_disagree has a reputation beyond reputeagree_to_disagree has a reputation beyond reputeagree_to_disagree has a reputation beyond repute

I was in the UK about three years ago and collected lots of blackberries and made myself some blackberry jam.

I left most with the folks I was visiting but tried taking a couple jam jars of it back to Spain with me.

When I was going thru security at the airport they seized one jar of my jam.

Old Jan 21st 2022, 9:47 am
BE Enthusiast

Joppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah, jam/marmalade counts as liquid and you cannot take through security.
Old Jan 21st 2022, 10:00 am
Banned

agree_to_disagree has a reputation beyond reputeagree_to_disagree has a reputation beyond reputeagree_to_disagree has a reputation beyond reputeagree_to_disagree has a reputation beyond reputeagree_to_disagree has a reputation beyond reputeagree_to_disagree has a reputation beyond reputeagree_to_disagree has a reputation beyond reputeagree_to_disagree has a reputation beyond reputeagree_to_disagree has a reputation beyond reputeagree_to_disagree has a reputation beyond reputeagree_to_disagree has a reputation beyond repute

I was quite miffed to be honest.

What did they think I was going to do?

Blow up a plane with a jam jar of blackberry jam????
Old Jan 21st 2022, 10:34 am
BE Enthusiast

Joppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond repute

Several years ago, there was an attempt to smuggle through security liquid explosive mixed with a paste and since then anything containing liquid, paste etc is banned.
Old Jan 21st 2022, 12:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

The same happened to me with a jar of Patak's Mango Chutney. The security man was wearing a turban and I think gave me the benefit of the doubt. Lucky.
Old Jan 21st 2022, 4:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

SanNico has a reputation beyond reputeSanNico has a reputation beyond reputeSanNico has a reputation beyond reputeSanNico has a reputation beyond reputeSanNico has a reputation beyond reputeSanNico has a reputation beyond reputeSanNico has a reputation beyond reputeSanNico has a reputation beyond reputeSanNico has a reputation beyond reputeSanNico has a reputation beyond reputeSanNico has a reputation beyond repute

You can't beat Patak's Mango Chutney. They sell it in my local Carrefour and the Chinese market. Maybe check your locals. The local Chinese also sells pectin.
Old Jan 21st 2022, 9:16 pm

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

Making your own Mango Chutney is even easier than making Marmalade and tastes far better than Pataks as it has some texture and you can make it as spicy as you want and Mangos are really cheap to buy.

The Mango Chutney in most Indian restaurants in Spain is rubbish slop out of a 10 litre container.
Old Jan 22nd 2022, 8:09 am
Banned

I fancy making my own naan bread. I just haven't got around to it yet.

The more of you food you prepare yourself the better.

Processed food is loaded with sugar, saturated fat, salt, preservatives and colourants.
Old Jan 22nd 2022, 9:08 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by agree_to_disagree
I fancy making my own naan bread. I just haven't got around to it yet.

The more of you food you prepare yourself the better.

Processed food is loaded with sugar, saturated fat, salt, preservatives and colourants.
I do that as well and chappiti. In fact I pretty much make everything myself. Currently my hotpot is bubbling away at 125C with steak, mushrooms, carrots, onion, red wine and beef OXO cubes for dinner tonight. The dumplings go in around 7 after I get home from cycling!
Old Jan 23rd 2022, 12:19 pm
BE Positive

Jon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fred James
Making your own Mango Chutney is even easier than making Marmalade and tastes far better than Pataks as it has some texture and you can make it as spicy as you want and Mangos are really cheap to buy.

The Mango Chutney in most Indian restaurants in Spain is rubbish slop out of a 10 litre container.
Love Mango Chutney, do you have a link to a recipe you rate, please?

Thanks

Jon

PS I had Boursin garlic cheese (unopened) confiscated once at a French airport.... I offered to eat some if it and let them sniff it.... But no!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.