Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Marks & spencers are coming back!

Marks & spencers are coming back!

Old Nov 1st 2010, 8:34 pm
Not Banned (yet)

steviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond repute
Default Marks & spencers are coming back!

Marks & Spencer has approached European retailers about buying back some of the properties that it sold off in 2001

http://www.guardian.co.uk/business/2...opean-comeback

Nearly a decade after Marks & Spencer shut up shop in mainland Europe, the retailer is poised to return to the continent by buying back the stores it sold at the time.

Britain's biggest clothing retailer is understood to have approached rivals in Spain and France about taking back some of its former shops. M&S is considering buying back some of the nine shops it sold to the Spanish department store chain El Corte Inglés nine years ago. The retailer also has its eyes on some of the 18 French outlets that were snapped up by retailer Galeries Lafayette. These include the store on Boulevard Haussman in Paris, its first ever European store which opened in 1975.
Old Nov 2nd 2010, 1:25 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Marks & spencers are coming back!

Originally Posted by steviedeluxe
Marks & Spencer has approached European retailers about buying back some of the properties that it sold off in 2001

http://www.guardian.co.uk/business/2...opean-comeback
If they carry the stock and prices as in the Marbella one, then don`t anyone get too excited.
Old Nov 2nd 2010, 4:28 pm
BE Enthusiast

Rambling Rose is a glorious beacon of lightRambling Rose is a glorious beacon of lightRambling Rose is a glorious beacon of lightRambling Rose is a glorious beacon of lightRambling Rose is a glorious beacon of lightRambling Rose is a glorious beacon of lightRambling Rose is a glorious beacon of lightRambling Rose is a glorious beacon of lightRambling Rose is a glorious beacon of lightRambling Rose is a glorious beacon of lightRambling Rose is a glorious beacon of light

I just went on a pre-christmas shopping trip to the UK. First stop M&S - what a disappointment. The quality of the clothing I looked at was very poor and the styles were either very young or very frumpy. Even my mum who is in her late 70's thinks they are too boring for her!

I spent my money in John Lewis and Debenhams. Debenhams deliver to Spain now for £7 which is cheaper than Marks as well.
Old Nov 2nd 2010, 4:33 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

agoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rambling Rose
I just went on a pre-christmas shopping trip to the UK. First stop M&S - what a disappointment. The quality of the clothing I looked at was very poor and the styles were either very young or very frumpy. Even my mum who is in her late 70's thinks they are too boring for her!

I spent my money in John Lewis and Debenhams. Debenhams deliver to Spain now for £7 which is cheaper than Marks as well.
Didn't affect their sales, they're doing OK.
Marks & Spencer clothing sales jump 7.8%
Its latest advertising campaign helped boost its clothing market share to 10.3%,
Old Nov 3rd 2010, 10:57 am
BE Forum Addict

Chiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond repute

I agree. I went to Marbella and was astounded at the mark up. I also went to a medium size M&S in the UK and felt that the styles were very old fashioned, and I am no spring chicken. In fact Sainsburys had a better selection.
Old Nov 3rd 2010, 4:12 pm
BE Enthusiast

casa del sol has a reputation beyond reputecasa del sol has a reputation beyond reputecasa del sol has a reputation beyond reputecasa del sol has a reputation beyond reputecasa del sol has a reputation beyond reputecasa del sol has a reputation beyond reputecasa del sol has a reputation beyond reputecasa del sol has a reputation beyond reputecasa del sol has a reputation beyond reputecasa del sol has a reputation beyond reputecasa del sol has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Chiclanagir
I agree. I went to Marbella and was astounded at the mark up. I also went to a medium size M&S in the UK and felt that the styles were very old fashioned, and I am no spring chicken. In fact Sainsburys had a better selection.
George at ASDA is/was good, time to stock up on quality cotton clothing, the only way the prices are going is up.
Old Sep 17th 2011, 7:48 pm
Not Banned (yet)

steviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond repute

Anyone seen any sign of these new stores?
Old Sep 18th 2011, 12:37 am
BE Forum Addict

megmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by steviedeluxe
Anyone seen any sign of these new stores?
The M&S in Marbella has improved a great deal since it first opened in November last year!

I bought a couple of things there in June, they were over priced but they are good quality just as you would expect from M&S.
On my visit there seemed to be a better and more modern choice of clothing, though their small food section was a complete waste of time.
Old Sep 18th 2011, 8:28 am
Banned

jackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond repute

Not sure but I think the M&S in marbella belongs to the one in Gibraltar and they are similar to Iceland on a franchise. M&S has changed a lot. Larger stores like Guildford and Winchester aren't frumpy at all. The one in Gibraltar wasn't very good.
Old Sep 18th 2011, 8:42 am
Not Banned (yet)

Originally Posted by jackytoo
Not sure but I think the M&S in marbella belongs to the one in Gibraltar and they are similar to Iceland on a franchise. M&S has changed a lot. Larger stores like Guildford and Winchester aren't frumpy at all. The one in Gibraltar wasn't very good.
The closest M&S to us in Marylebone is a totally food outlet. Not cheap, but it's a godsend as otherwise we're limited to umpteen Tescos.
Old Sep 18th 2011, 11:22 am

Domino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond repute

went into local uk M&S, they had dual £ and € pricing on some products. The exchange rate was the old €1.60 to £1. Theres some profit to be made out there.

the worst I have seen is BHS which has many things dual priced and still using €1.80 to £1. although Body Shop also use the same factor on their eu website.

if a shop advertises in the two currencies should they be able to take payment in the 2 currencies ? ?
Old Sep 18th 2011, 12:59 pm
Banned

jackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond repute

Wouldn't be beneficial would it if a spaniard came shopping in London to use the euro. They only have to give around 86 cents to get a pound coin at exchange shop. whereas to pay for it in euros they would have to give them 1.80...am I explaining it properly?
Old Sep 18th 2011, 1:07 pm

Domino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jackytoo
Wouldn't be beneficial would it if a spaniard came shopping in London to use the euro. They only have to give around 86 cents to get a pound coin at exchange shop. whereas to pay for it in euros they would have to give them 1.80...am I explaining it properly?
yup !

Ferengi Rules of Acquisition No 10 - Greed is eternal !