Marinaleda

Old Mar 18th 2014, 5:23 pm
Just Joined

mgw1992 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Marinaleda

Hi!

I'm currently a final year University student and am planning to do some research regarding the town of Marinaleda in Andalusia.

I'm planning on visiting the town in a few weeks, to hopefully carry out some interviews.

I was wondering if anyone here would be able to help me.

It would be really great if I could get a chance to speak to some ex pats who live in Marinaleda.
Or, if anyone has any information about the town it would be a great help!

Thanks so much!
Old Mar 18th 2014, 6:01 pm
Sue
BE Co-Founder

Sue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Marinaleda

Hi,

Is this for your dissertation?
Old Mar 18th 2014, 6:04 pm
Just Joined

mgw1992 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi,

yes it is
Old Mar 18th 2014, 7:13 pm
Not Banned (yet)

steviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond repute

I don't know anyone in the town itself, but there is a book (in English) on the subject by Dan Hancox, that may be worth getting from your closest bookshop or online. It's called "Village Against the World". You could also try contacting Dan Hancox directly, either by his twitter handle @danhancox or his website http://www.dan-hancox.blogspot.com.es/
Old Mar 22nd 2014, 7:19 pm
Forum Regular

Cazzy1 is a name known to allCazzy1 is a name known to allCazzy1 is a name known to allCazzy1 is a name known to allCazzy1 is a name known to allCazzy1 is a name known to allCazzy1 is a name known to allCazzy1 is a name known to allCazzy1 is a name known to allCazzy1 is a name known to allCazzy1 is a name known to all

I live just down the road in the next village. There is an awful lot of crime there.
Old Mar 23rd 2014, 12:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

stuboy has a reputation beyond reputestuboy has a reputation beyond reputestuboy has a reputation beyond reputestuboy has a reputation beyond reputestuboy has a reputation beyond reputestuboy has a reputation beyond reputestuboy has a reputation beyond reputestuboy has a reputation beyond reputestuboy has a reputation beyond reputestuboy has a reputation beyond reputestuboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Cazzy1
I live just down the road in the next village. There is an awful lot of crime there.
I thought it was supposed to be peaceful, democratic and utopian.

I have just bought the book that stevie recommended. Haven't had a chance to read it yet.

What are your other thoughts on the place?
Old Mar 23rd 2014, 11:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

big wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Cazzy1
Surprised to read that. I have heard of crime in Isla Redonda but none in Marinaleda. Isn't Isla Redonda the place where only one or two families own most of the properties in the village and detest the influx of foreigners?
We called in a couple of times for a coffee at the "swimming pool bar" after visiting friends in the village and both times have heard a few snidey comments made by the locals and have not felt very welcome there, so not been back for a few yrs.

Last edited by big wheels; Mar 24th 2014 at 12:26 am.
Old Mar 24th 2014, 6:21 am
Forum Regular

Cazzy1 is a name known to allCazzy1 is a name known to allCazzy1 is a name known to allCazzy1 is a name known to allCazzy1 is a name known to allCazzy1 is a name known to allCazzy1 is a name known to allCazzy1 is a name known to allCazzy1 is a name known to allCazzy1 is a name known to allCazzy1 is a name known to all

Isla Redonda has never suffered from crime, whereas a friend of mine in Marinaleda has been terrorized by youths. There was a lot of arguing in Isla Redonda between the Brits, but most have left now. Personally I have never had a problem with any of the Spanish and find them very friendly.