Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Mare de Deu del Castillo

Mare de Deu del Castillo

Old Aug 30th 2008, 9:37 am

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute
Default Mare de Deu del Castillo

The illuminations are up and we enjoyed wonderful concert by our orchestra in the Plaza Major last night. Today it is the athletics, so there are different lengths of formal races around the streets for various age groups. Sunday is the celebration of motorbikes so a huge procession of motorbikes takes place, riders come from all the towns around so it is a huge event. In the evening on Sunday the confirmations take place and also the traditional dances are performed in the streets. Tuesday is the celebration of the bicycles which means that all ages who have a bike ride a planned route around the town, this is a very popular event and it is great to see the tinies riding their little bikes with stabalisers alongside serious riders. Later on in the evening our orchestra will play old traditionl instruments (the only event that has been arranged to be indoors). Wednesday there is dinner and dancing to a band in the Plaza Major. Thursday weight lifting late afternoon, correrfocs at 11.30 p.m. and we have been told that there will be no lighting on in the street so that this can be seen properly. Friday dinner and dancing to band in Plaza Major. On Saturday there is a whole day of kids activities in the park followed by dinner and dancing to band with the younger people in fancy dress, at 4 am there is a disco so that the young can continue with the celebrations. Sunday is the offering of flowers so this will be a long procession culminating with the flowers being laid out in a design outside the church, followed bu dinner and dancing in the Plaza Major. Monday the band will process around the town, at 2 p.m. there will be the mascleta, later the solemn procession followed by a wonderful display of fireworks.

Intertwined with all of this there are activities for the children everyday, the band processes around the town whenever they feel like it and there are of course loads of bangers, bell ringing and church services.

There is also a rice festival occurring in a nearby town and we have promised ourselves that we will attend some of the functions but I am wondering whether we will have the time and the energy.

Absolutely love the fact that it is all so personal as our town is not very big.

Rosemary
Old Aug 31st 2008, 8:59 am

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Mare de Deu del Castillo

We had the 8 km road race yesterday with a mixture of very serious runners from about 15 athletics clubs from towns near and far and of course people who joined in for the hell of it.

The childrens races started at 5.30 p.m. several races of different lengths for different ages each race led by two motorbikes. At the end of this very healthy excercise each child was presented with a huge bag of very unhealthy sweets and the winners had good trophies.

The adults race had four motorbikes at the front of them, all the riders wore helmets (that is very unusual), the first bike had a 4/5 year old little girl sitting on the petrol tank pressing the horn NO HELMET, the second bike was a POLICE BIKE, so nothing unusual then.

All of the adult runners (I think about 300) were given a slice of watermelon, a T shirt and the first 30 had trophies.

Rosemary
Old Aug 31st 2008, 9:04 am

This morning we were woken up at 7 a.m. by the males of church choir walking around the streets singing and drumming which is impossible to sleep through.

9 a.m. was the cavalcade of motorbikes so a bit on the noisy side but not so close to us so we did not find it too bad.

Meal and music for the very elderly in the Plaza Major tonight.

Rosemary
Old Aug 31st 2008, 9:20 am
¿Dónde estoy?

lynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The Oddities
This morning we were woken up at 7 a.m. by the males of church choir walking around the streets singing and drumming which is impossible to sleep through.

9 a.m. was the cavalcade of motorbikes so a bit on the noisy side but not so close to us so we did not find it too bad.

Meal and music for the very elderly in the Plaza Major tonight.

Rosemary
sounds like our current fiesta here - Festes Mare de Deu de Loreto

it started on the 21st Aug & carries on until 8th Sept

today is the Dia de los ninos y las ninas

there was free chocolate for the kids at 10am - but my two have slept through it! - too busy watching the fireworks last night

they will be around for the free paella by 2pm though, and the best parade of the year this evening, followed by a show & more correfocs at midnight
Old Aug 31st 2008, 10:00 am
BE Forum Addict

montgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond repute

All sounds very traditional, and noisy no doubt. The family activities must be an ideal antidote to your work experiences in the UK.

Enjoy the rest of the weekend.
Old Aug 31st 2008, 10:28 am

Originally Posted by montgomail
All sounds very traditional, and noisy no doubt. The family activities must be an ideal antidote to your work experiences in the UK.

Enjoy the rest of the weekend.
Yes, we love it, do not care what the noise is as long as it shows that people are enjoying being together. Another 10 days of it and then it will go quiet.

OH just caused a bit of chaos because he merrily drove off to take a load of building rubble etc to the ecoparc on the poligon and ended up getting involved with the bikers rally. We thought that it was all over but they are still touring around so loads of streets are blocked etc., all the streets are still lined with people watching.

Cannot believe that such a small inland town can achieve so much especially as there is no extra income from holiday makers and very few foreigners so everything is done and paid for by the locals.

Rosemary
Old Sep 5th 2008, 2:04 pm

Last night it was the correfoc procession through the streets so every street light was turned off including the illuminations. These were not the mad correfoc that I have seen on TV but none the less the fireworks were up on poles above peoples heads showering downwards and families accompanied them around the town. My OH went out to film and take photo's and he said that he got hit by several sparks so I was surprised to see so many children involved. The atmosphere was fantastic.

I viewed from our roof terrace and also watched the fire that was happening on the hill of the Cullera sign, which burned for at least 2 hours.

Rosemary
Old Sep 7th 2008, 10:32 am

Last night there was supposed to be a huge dinner/dance and fancy dress do in the Plaza Major but it rained really hard. We presume that it was held in the old cinema which does not hold as many people so we decided to give it a miss.

At 12.45 a.m. we heard the strains of 'Valencia' and an announcement and again at 1.50 a.m. so we think that the 5 a.m. disco may have been cancelled.

This morning my flowers have been delivered for the all important solemn procession and the offering of flowers, they know that I am not a catholic but they still include me, which I appreciate. Huge firework display follows the processions and then we will have dinner in the street or one of the big garages (dependent on weather).

Rosemary
Old Sep 8th 2008, 9:33 am

Should have known that the people in our town would not miss out on a party. The fancy dress party was postponed to last night so it was held after the procession with the band starting to play at 12.30 a.m. We left during their break at 2.30 a.m. and sat on our roof terrace listening for an hour or so afterwards, presume they stopped around 5 a.m.

I made a mistake about the fireworks yesterday. Today we celebrate plants, so everyone has put their house plants out in the street this morning and will take them in after tonights solemn procession. So today we had bangers at 9 a.m., the band will be marching around the streets at 11.30 a.m., mascleta at 2 p.m., dancers 7.30 p.m., solemn procession at 8 p.m., fireworks at 9 p.m. and finally dinner in the street when we are all ready.

Rosemary
Old Sep 8th 2008, 11:46 am
¿Dónde estoy?

lynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond repute

one of my cats has taken up residence under my bed - almost permanently

at this very moment the mascletada is deafening us - it's so close to our flat that my desk is vibrating!!!!!!!
Old Sep 8th 2008, 2:38 pm

Originally Posted by lynnxa
one of my cats has taken up residence under my bed - almost permanently

at this very moment the mascletada is deafening us - it's so close to our flat that my desk is vibrating!!!!!!!
They say that the one in Valencia City is dangerous for pregnant women or people with heart conditions.

Rosemary
Old Sep 8th 2008, 2:41 pm
¿Dónde estoy?

Originally Posted by The Oddities
They say that the one in Valencia City is dangerous for pregnant women or people with heart conditions.

Rosemary
my hubby was around the corner having a coffee - he had to take refuge inside the cafe to avoid getting rained on by bits of wood & soot!

he came home talking about health & safety