Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

making the big move to spain, need advice please!!!!!

making the big move to spain, need advice please!!!!!

Old Apr 13th 2008, 12:38 am
Straw Man.

Location: That, there, that's not my post count... nothing to see here, move along.
rugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: making the big move to spain, need advice please!!!!!

Originally Posted by jdr
You have to remember a lot of people live here in the real Spain and get different views closer up than people just thinking of moving here.
I have to agree with a lot of them as it is getting much harder to live here especially if you need to work.
I hear what you are saying and in part I agree, but do you not think that's reflective of Europe in general?
Old Apr 13th 2008, 1:46 am

crispy will become famous soon enoughcrispy will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by rugbymatt
I hear what you are saying and in part I agree, but do you not think that's reflective of Europe in general?
I agree Matt it is a reflection of Europe in general, but if you do not have an understanding of how a country works and worse still not a comprehensive grasp of the langauge then finding work that pays a livable wage is going to be harder then doing it in your own country.

Here in this area more and more Brits are going back to the UK because there just is not the work here, many work two or three part-time jobs scrapping barely enough money to live on. Only a few weeks ago another Brit business here closed it doors. If you have the money to survive a couple of years and a skill that is in demand then there is a chance you may make it.

I wish there was some magic advice that could be offered to people who have a dream, but if they go to the built up Ex-pats Costa's there skills will be two a penny, and places like this area does not have the infrastructure or the need, a bit catch 22 really. Yes there's great opportunity here but sadly not enough people to support it.
Old Apr 13th 2008, 1:50 am
BE Enthusiast

lcortez has much to be proud oflcortez has much to be proud oflcortez has much to be proud oflcortez has much to be proud oflcortez has much to be proud oflcortez has much to be proud oflcortez has much to be proud oflcortez has much to be proud oflcortez has much to be proud oflcortez has much to be proud oflcortez has much to be proud of

Spain is what you make of it Patrick, if you go out with a positive attitude and attack it with all your efforts, it becomes as good as you want it to be.
Totally agree life is what you make of it,no matter what the country or town!
With regard to the economic situation the same is pretty much true of much of the world at present we're all in for a rocky ride over the course of the next few years
However in these times its the more entrepreneruial (soelling?) that adapt and prosper (self employed and business owners)
Old Apr 13th 2008, 1:55 am
BE Enthusiast

lcortez has much to be proud oflcortez has much to be proud oflcortez has much to be proud oflcortez has much to be proud oflcortez has much to be proud oflcortez has much to be proud oflcortez has much to be proud oflcortez has much to be proud oflcortez has much to be proud oflcortez has much to be proud oflcortez has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by crispy
I agree Matt it is a reflection of Europe in general, but if you do not have an understanding of how a country works and worse still not a comprehensive grasp of the langauge then finding work that pays a livable wage is going to be harder then doing it in your own country.

Here in this area more and more Brits are going back to the UK because there just is not the work here, many work two or three part-time jobs scrapping barely enough money to live on. Only a few weeks ago another Brit business here closed it doors. If you have the money to survive a couple of years and a skill that is in demand then there is a chance you may make it.

I wish there was some magic advice that could be offered to people who have a dream, but if they go to the built up Ex-pats Costa's there skills will be two a penny, and places like this area does not have the infrastructure or the need, a bit catch 22 really. Yes there's great opportunity here but sadly not enough people to support it.
Totally agree the language is the key,without it your stuffed!
Also the skills thing is spot on, too many people attempting to sell the same thing to a small (and poss decreasing) pool of people
Still I'll be ok as my trade is relatively rare,and pretty recession proof!
If it doesnt work out though I'd rather be skint in the sun thane the rain and thunder as today in London
Old Apr 13th 2008, 1:55 am
Straw Man.

Location: That, there, that's not my post count... nothing to see here, move along.
rugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by crispy

I am just in the middle of an article on ho, on average, 100,000 brits return to the UK from Spin every year, and I can quite easily see that.

I have always said, Spain isn't for some people, and no matter how much you try it just wont work.........that said, if you don;t go, you wont know.

Life isn't easy here any more, I can no longer afford to live in an area that provides me with a bloody good income, and pretty soon I am going to have to raise my prices for the second time in 12 months.

Its very hard to adjust your lifestyle down here in the UK, once you are on the conveyor belt, getting off is hard and I'm sure Spain will catch up, its only natural.
Old Apr 13th 2008, 2:09 am
BE Enthusiast

twyntub has a reputation beyond reputetwyntub has a reputation beyond reputetwyntub has a reputation beyond reputetwyntub has a reputation beyond reputetwyntub has a reputation beyond reputetwyntub has a reputation beyond reputetwyntub has a reputation beyond reputetwyntub has a reputation beyond reputetwyntub has a reputation beyond reputetwyntub has a reputation beyond reputetwyntub has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lcortez
I was once told that it was really easy to come over to Spain with absolutely no skills, no training, no ability to speak the language - and walk into a well paid job... as an estate agent!

That was told to me by an estate agent. Think he's 'between employers' at the moment.
Old Apr 13th 2008, 2:12 am
Straw Man.

Originally Posted by twyntub
I was once told that it was really easy to come over to Spain with absolutely no skills, no training, no ability to speak the language - and walk into a well paid job... as an estate agent!

That was told to me by an estate agent. Think he's 'between employers' at the moment.
the land of milk and honey.

I have to say, my mum lived in Spain for 3or 4 years, and she hated it in the end.
Old Apr 13th 2008, 2:39 am

crispy will become famous soon enoughcrispy will become famous soon enough

I am just in the middle of an article on ho, on average, 100,000 brits return to the UK from Spin every year, and I can quite easily see that.

I have always said, Spain isn't for some people, and no matter how much you try it just wont work.........that said, if you don;t go, you wont know.

Life isn't easy here any more, I can no longer afford to live in an area that provides me with a bloody good income, and pretty soon I am going to have to raise my prices for the second time in 12 months.

Its very hard to adjust your lifestyle down here in the UK, once you are on the conveyor belt, getting off is hard and I'm sure Spain will catch up, its only natural.

This is the motto I live we life by, easy for us to say this now as there's only me and Mal to worry about, but when we had young families we didn't live by it. We had money form two property's to start us of here, so very fortunate to be in this position, as most will know we took early retirement 3 years ago, we had an income of 1,000 euros a month to live on and it was more than enough. Not so now, £/E and poor share's rate put paid to that, also family commitments means the nest egg is getting smaller and smaller by the month. The cost of living here is rising, everytime we get a bill it has gone up, car tax bill arrived yesterday that has gone up 17 euros, doesn't sound alot but that is only one bill, I don't have to tell you it all adds up.

I know things have changed a lot in the UK since we have been here, we were back at Christmas and I was so shocked at the cost of things. As we are we could never afford to live back there, I would have to go back to work until we both reached state pension age which for me is at least another 8 years, can't get pension until 1 month before my 64th birthday.

I just think people should understand that if they are on that conveyor belt in the UK, then there is a big chance they will still be on it in a new country, more so as they will be starting from the beginning again. Don't get me wrong, no one achieves anything if they just sit on their bums and wait for it to come to them, but they have to be aware of the risk that is involved especially if there are children involved and a living to be made.

Sorry this took so long to reply but I had to go and have my dinner, Mal said!!
Old Apr 13th 2008, 3:11 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by twyntub

Problem with anything sales related is dependent on people haveing money to buy,whereas in my trade,Locksmith,its a necc,if you dont pay you dont get in!
Old Apr 13th 2008, 9:49 am
Forum Regular

sueandterry is an unknown quantity at this point

Totally agree the language is the key,without it your stuffed!
Also the skills thing is spot on, too many people attempting to sell the same thing to a small (and poss decreasing) pool of people
If it doesnt work out though I'd rather be skint in the sun thane the rain and thunder as today in London
Sorry, what IS your trade? (and is it relevant to Spain ? ) there are umpteen
"builders" and property management companies, and pool cleaners.... you will need to get a network of people around you, and friends who care for you...this, like anywhere else takes time... and along the way, you will meet the time wasters, the whingers, the doom and gloom merchants, the con artists, the spongers, but also, you will meet some very very nice people. If you have a plan B in place, i.e. sufficient money to keep your head above water for several years, and don't go too mad buying jacuzzis etc., and 20 foot high fridge/freezers, you will manage very well, and don't upset the Spanish... because they will help you, if you help yourself... but try to remember that it's their country... and if not, they just sit back, and nod to each other knowingly, and laugh up their sleeve... "There goes another stupid English person " Anyway, hope that it all goes well for you, as it has for me.Incidentally, I have been here for nearly 10 years, and during that time I have seen and experienced things that I would never ever see in the UK. Somebody gave me some very good advice when I first came here and it was this "Expect the unexpected, and you will get on okay in Spain."Keep a low profile, don't be too flash , and ENJOY. For me, Spain is freedom, fun, sun, a very outdoor life, and totally different from the UK, in every way......
Old Apr 14th 2008, 5:41 am
BE Enthusiast

I'm a Locksmith.It is relevant to Spain,have already done a trial run which worked out very well.By the way I am Spanish
The outdoor life suits me very well as am sick and tired of spending my life either in the pub,or indoors in one way or another listening to people moaning.
Housings not a problem as inherited a home a couple of years ago wit no mortgage,and the debts on it have now been paid off

Last edited by lcortez; Apr 14th 2008 at 5:44 am.
Old Apr 14th 2008, 7:18 am
pjj
sun lover

pjj has much to be proud ofpjj has much to be proud ofpjj has much to be proud ofpjj has much to be proud ofpjj has much to be proud ofpjj has much to be proud ofpjj has much to be proud ofpjj has much to be proud ofpjj has much to be proud ofpjj has much to be proud ofpjj has much to be proud of

hi guys just reading some of the comments on here very interesting views but we keep coming up with the same replys ITS SO HARD IN SPAIN YOU WONT EARN ANY MONEY ! we all know living in spain aint going to be a walk in the park but i think at the end of the day it seems alot of us on here aint happy with our lives in the uk and we are trying to break free from the day to day hardcore living/working in the uk to make a better quality of life for ourselves and if that means moving abroad then so be it ,i dont think any one should go by any ones advice when moving to another country if you feel you want to do it dont let peoples views put you off and just think why are your reasons that you are going abroad On a good point though i have many english friends in the area that i have brought in in spain and they have lived in spain for some years now and they all have settled in to there lives there and are all working some of them say it aint been easy and they are not earning bundles of money but they get by and for most of them they said that they love there lives in spain and would not want to return to the uk ! i my self feel life is what you make it and it aint all about earning loads of money its about quality of life as im only just starting realize , hope this helps gang
Old Apr 14th 2008, 7:27 am
Straw Man.

I'm a Locksmith.It is relevant to Spain,have already done a trial run which worked out very well.By the way I am Spanish
The outdoor life suits me very well as am sick and tired of spending my life either in the pub,or indoors in one way or another listening to people moaning.
Housings not a problem as inherited a home a couple of years ago wit no mortgage,and the debts on it have now been paid off
at a tender age of 19 as well...............or is it 37?