Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Magaluf on tele

Magaluf on tele

Old Jan 9th 2013, 4:00 pm
BE Enthusiast

DENISE WALTERS has much to be proud ofDENISE WALTERS has much to be proud ofDENISE WALTERS has much to be proud ofDENISE WALTERS has much to be proud ofDENISE WALTERS has much to be proud ofDENISE WALTERS has much to be proud ofDENISE WALTERS has much to be proud ofDENISE WALTERS has much to be proud ofDENISE WALTERS has much to be proud ofDENISE WALTERS has much to be proud ofDENISE WALTERS has much to be proud of
Default Magaluf on tele

Not a very good advert for the place.
Many british there, alcohol and drugs related incidents.With loads of free booze given to youngsters.
To many youngsters coming home in body bags.
Interviews with police and ambulance men were interviewed saying how its getting worse.
Prostitution and mugging of the tourists who were worst for wear.
Bar owners took no responibility and the Mayor kept on saying its out of my hands when he was asked to sort out the strip.
All money related I guess!!!!!!!!!!!!What amazed me was how nobody seemed to care.
How did Spain and other countries allow themselves to be dragged into this situation where a blind eye is turned, that gives them such a bad name its not going to help tourism in the long run.
Old Jan 9th 2013, 4:45 pm
Not Banned (yet)

steviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Magaluf on tele

Originally Posted by DENISE WALTERS
Not a very good advert for the place.
Many british there, alcohol and drugs related incidents.With loads of free booze given to youngsters.
To many youngsters coming home in body bags.
Interviews with police and ambulance men were interviewed saying how its getting worse.
Prostitution and mugging of the tourists who were worst for wear.
Bar owners took no responibility and the Mayor kept on saying its out of my hands when he was asked to sort out the strip.
All money related I guess!!!!!!!!!!!!What amazed me was how nobody seemed to care.
How did Spain and other countries allow themselves to be dragged into this situation where a blind eye is turned, that gives them such a bad name its not going to help tourism in the long run.
Is Magaluf any different from a lot of city and town centres we know?
Stand by the police vans and ambulances stationed in (for example) Nottingham or Oxford centres at weekend nights - it isn't a pretty sight.
I think a major cause over the years has been the closing of family pubs and the opening of bars that target the youth market.
I'm sure someone will point out the Spanish can drink also, they have botellones and alcohol-related incidents. But the majority of cases always seem to involve Brits?
Old Jan 9th 2013, 5:03 pm
On the road again.

Dick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond repute

Apparently much worse.

It was discussed on a thread not so long ago and the situation in one particular area was absolutely shocking with the police either not interested or totally incapable of bringing things under control.
Old Jan 9th 2013, 7:41 pm
BE Enthusiast

DENISE WALTERS has much to be proud ofDENISE WALTERS has much to be proud ofDENISE WALTERS has much to be proud ofDENISE WALTERS has much to be proud ofDENISE WALTERS has much to be proud ofDENISE WALTERS has much to be proud ofDENISE WALTERS has much to be proud ofDENISE WALTERS has much to be proud ofDENISE WALTERS has much to be proud ofDENISE WALTERS has much to be proud ofDENISE WALTERS has much to be proud of

Why is the situation being ignored then by the Mayor , surely him saying out of his hands is ridiculous.
None as blind are those who dont want to see.
What about the poor law abiding citizens living there ????
I do feel sorry for them as its not so easy to sell and move these days.
I do agree though there in the past years a binge drink culture has developed among the youngsters in the UK as seen in most cities sadly.
The bar owners say they are not responsible, they do not make the younsters drink.
Ah well how things change , I remember holidaying in Spain in the late 60s
This would definately be a NO NO then
Old Jan 10th 2013, 8:24 am
Just Joined

codex70 is an unknown quantity at this point

It surprises me, I'd have thought the overall income from this would be a relatively small piece of the pie for somewhere like Mallorca which attempts to aim at the more upmarket end of the tourist market. I'd have thought the risk of putting off the more affluent and family travellers would have been enough to encourage them to sort it out.

Fortunately for anyone visiting the island they manage to keep it all enclosed in a very small area, but surely they don't need that sort of tourism at all.
Old Jan 10th 2013, 8:54 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

cricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by steviedeluxe
Is Magaluf any different from a lot of city and town centres we know?
Stand by the police vans and ambulances stationed in (for example) Nottingham or Oxford centres at weekend nights - it isn't a pretty sight.
I think a major cause over the years has been the closing of family pubs and the opening of bars that target the youth market.
I'm sure someone will point out the Spanish can drink also, they have botellones and alcohol-related incidents. But the majority of cases always seem to involve Brits?
I've lived in the middle of Barcelona and Oviedo and never seen even one incident

I've been out late in places like Fuengirola and Benalmadena and its full of Brits being sick and hitting each other. Smashed glasses, blood etc. Reminds me of when I lived in the middle of Sheffield. Saturday night violence and vomit is part of British culture
Old Jan 10th 2013, 11:52 am
On the road again.

Dick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cricketman
I've lived in the middle of Barcelona and Oviedo and never seen even one incident

I've been out late in places like Fuengirola and Benalmadena and its full of Brits being sick and hitting each other. Smashed glasses, blood etc. Reminds me of when I lived in the middle of Sheffield. Saturday night violence and vomit is part of British culture
There's none so blind.
Obviously you didn't follow the thread when the crime in Barcelona was discussed.
Much as in Magaluf the muggers and pick-pockets have a free licence to carry on business as normal.

Obviously never heard of the Spanish bottle parties either.
Well they are held mostly out of sight, so I suppose mostly out of mind eh Cman ?
Violence, stabbings kids as young as 12 year old getting comatosed.
Links have previously been posted regarding this, but if it pleases you then just continue burying your head in the sand Cman.
Old Jan 10th 2013, 12:05 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

cricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dick Dasterdly
There's none so blind.
Obviously you didn't follow the thread when the crime in Barcelona was discussed.
Much as in Magaluf the muggers and pick-pockets have a free licence to carry on business as normal.

Obviously never heard of the Spanish bottle parties either.
Well they are held mostly out of sight, so I suppose mostly out of mind eh Cman ?
Violence, stabbings kids as young as 12 year old getting comatosed.
Links have previously been posted regarding this, but if it pleases you then just continue burying your head in the sand Cman.
I'm telling you what I've seen, from experience

Botellones happen, and in general, I think they are great. Obviously the odd incidence happens. But they rarely happen in the centre of cities. The centre of Spanish cities are incredibly safe, even at 2am on a Saturday night

By the way, I also enjoy the culture of nights out in the UK. The trick is to dodge the punches and you will have a great time!
Old Jan 10th 2013, 9:11 pm
Just Joined

lemon_drizzle is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by codex70
It surprises me, I'd have thought the overall income from this would be a relatively small piece of the pie for somewhere like Mallorca which attempts to aim at the more upmarket end of the tourist market. I'd have thought the risk of putting off the more affluent and family travellers would have been enough to encourage them to sort it out.

Fortunately for anyone visiting the island they manage to keep it all enclosed in a very small area, but surely they don't need that sort of tourism at all.
It's crazy that this resort still exists in Mallorca, its a total contrast to the rest of the island. Maybe that's why they don't care about protecting those tourists? because they no longer want them there?

I have visited Mallorca many times but I have never been to the Magaluf area. Given that this documentary was on BBC3 I took it with a pinch of salt, is it actually that bad?
Old Jan 11th 2013, 4:48 am
Started off with nothing

missile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond repute

I always remember Magaluf as a magnet for youngsters who like to party all night. Not a place I ever wanted to visit.
Old Jan 11th 2013, 6:23 am

Domino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cricketman
same in Granada, and that is a university city

`
Old Jan 11th 2013, 11:25 am
On the road again.

Originally Posted by lemon_drizzle
It's crazy that this resort still exists in Mallorca, its a total contrast to the rest of the island. Maybe that's why they don't care about protecting those tourists? because they no longer want them there?

These places simply exist because the Spanish authorities and business people want them to exist and are willing to accept whatever goes on,... within reason of course.

Youngsters of that age are a very free spending crowd when on holiday and a veritable mini goldmine for all concerned, especially once they get a jar or two down their necks.

The powers that be could easily wipe such places of the map if they had the will to do so and replace them with something more up-market for instance.

However the up-market crowd is already well catered for, so they prefer to make hay the easy way while the sun shines,.... as well as long after it goes down.

Such places are not unique to Spain. There are quite a few on the Greek islands for instance.

I recall chatting to a hotelier and bar owner in the notorious San Antonio district of Ibiza and was surprised to find them rubbing their hands with glee knowing that the under 23 crowd were due to begin arriving the following week.