Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Madrid in September

Madrid in September

Old Jul 11th 2009, 11:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

jonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Madrid in September

Hi all
My wife and me self will be spending three days in Madrid in early September 2009. We wonder if you have any recommendations in regard to hotels and places to see and eat. We have previously visited Valencia and enjoyed it but have spent large amounts of time wondering about aimlessly and hope that with Madrid that we can encapsulate the city into a manageable three days
I look forward to your recommendations

Regards

jonboy
Old Jul 12th 2009, 4:56 am
Just Joined

galwaykoala has a brilliant futuregalwaykoala has a brilliant futuregalwaykoala has a brilliant futuregalwaykoala has a brilliant futuregalwaykoala has a brilliant futuregalwaykoala has a brilliant futuregalwaykoala has a brilliant future
Default Re: Madrid in September

Originally Posted by jonboy
Hi all
My wife and me self will be spending three days in Madrid in early September 2009. We wonder if you have any recommendations in regard to hotels and places to see and eat. We have previously visited Valencia and enjoyed it but have spent large amounts of time wondering about aimlessly and hope that with Madrid that we can encapsulate the city into a manageable three days
I look forward to your recommendations

Regards

jonboy
Hi Jonboy
My husband and myself are also making our first trip to Madrid this year.....1st week in August. Having spent many hours looking up hotels I have settled on this one. The room rate is very good and the style of hotel and location suits us..... Hope this helps. www.hotelpalaciosanmartin.com/index.en.html
Also we are hoping to purchase thr Madrid Card which covers transport and admission into some of the must see museums etc.
Old Jul 12th 2009, 8:26 am
Not Banned (yet)

steviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond repute

Hi, with regard to the initial enquiry, Madrid is perhaps at its best in September. It can still be baking hot in the day and late afternoon, but luckily it cools down a little at night. I personally would recommend a day trip out to Toledo, Segovia or even Alcala de Henares, just to get a different feel to central Spain. Having said that there's plenty to keep you occupied in Madrid. Here's one site I find very useful regarding Madrid (its hotel page gives a list of various hotel pages); I'm sure other posters can supply others.
http://www.madridinsider.com/
I've not really spent much time in Madrid hotels - I've either used hostals (similar in value to a bed and breakfast) or rented a room for a longer period. One hotel I was impressed with lately was Hotel Ibis Madrid Centro, near Bilbao metro. C/ Manuela Malasaña 6 It's a great location in my opinion. I personally would avoid hotels next to the Gran Via - although a big shopping street there's always been a low-life element (prostitutes, bag snatchers etc) who gravitate here, and you have to be constantly alert - not what you need on holiday.
As to eating - if you can have your main meal at lunch time (I'm afraid in Spain this means after 1.30) then you can save a lot of money. If you ask around, you'll find a good place for menu del dia for around 9 or 10 Euros each (there are cheaper places in residential parts, but you have to know where to look). This should include two courses, bread, a bottle of wine and a coffee for afters. In the evenings you often get a free snack with a beer or wine; however the bars catering for American and British tourists in the centre often don't do this now. If you're looking for somewhere special to eat and like steak, I can recommend La Cabaña Argentina which is centrally located at C/ Ventura De La Vega 10. There are lots of different options to eating out in Madrid (contrary to myth there are even vegetarian restaurants) but you may need to ask your hotel as to local recommendations.
For lighter eating options try asking for a "pincho de tortilla" or a bocadillo (bread roll) either of queso (cheese), jamon (ham) or chorizo (spicy salami). Each year also, there are new ventures selling sandwich and healthy style food. Another option is to use the cafeteria in El Corte Ingles - this may be a good place to try out new Spanish dishes or merely cool down with a gazpacho. It's rarely cheap in El Corte Ingles, but they do strive towards good quality.
Breakfast is normally coffee with churros or toast or croisant. A lot of places will offer fresh orange juice too. If you really must have a British breakfast, head for an Irish pub.
A small warning for the poster going in August. Normally a lot of places close in August and half the population head to the sea or mountains to escape the heat. To a certain extent this improves the city as there's less congestion and stress; however you may have to walk further to find a shop or bar still open. It's not as bad as it was once, and many places stay open to take advantage of the tourists. Also it's "Rebajas" season - the sales are on, so you may pick up a bargain.
Please heed warnings regarding pickpockets at busy tourist spots, such as Metro stations, rail stations and the Puerta del Sol. Also, if you sit down for a drink in a central cafe-bar, please keep any bags secure and in sight. Distraction robberies are not unknown - better by far to leave any bags in your hotel, and keep wallets in hard to access places. So long as you're sensible in tourist zones you'll probably be alright. If you know your money is hidden and secure you can then relax and enjoy the life of the capital.
Buen Viaje!
Old Jul 12th 2009, 8:36 am
Not Banned (yet)

steviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by galwaykoala
Hi Jonboy
My husband and myself are also making our first trip to Madrid this year.....1st week in August. Having spent many hours looking up hotels I have settled on this one. The room rate is very good and the style of hotel and location suits us..... Hope this helps. www.hotelpalaciosanmartin.com/index.en.html
Also we are hoping to purchase thr Madrid Card which covers transport and admission into some of the must see museums etc.
Hi, I've just looked at the location of your hotel. If memory serves me right, there are lots of interesting places to eat and drink close by. However be very careful when walking up to the Callao metro - it's normally very heavily congested with people and traffic, so keep your wits about you. As for the Madrid Card - try and work out the costings. You may find it cheaper just to buy a 10 journey ticket on the Metro and then pay as you go when visiting museums. Obviously it depends on your itinerary but you may find some places closed in August, or you may find the heat too much to do a lot of sight seeing. But I'm sure you'll work out the best option. Have a great holiday!
Old Jul 12th 2009, 8:37 am
BE Enthusiast

marisol has a reputation beyond reputemarisol has a reputation beyond reputemarisol has a reputation beyond reputemarisol has a reputation beyond reputemarisol has a reputation beyond reputemarisol has a reputation beyond reputemarisol has a reputation beyond reputemarisol has a reputation beyond reputemarisol has a reputation beyond reputemarisol has a reputation beyond reputemarisol has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by steviedeluxe
Hi, with regard to the initial enquiry, Madrid is perhaps at its best in September. It can still be baking hot in the day and late afternoon, but luckily it cools down a little at night. I personally would recommend a day trip out to Toledo, Segovia or even Alcala de Henares, just to get a different feel to central Spain. Having said that there's plenty to keep you occupied in Madrid. Here's one site I find very useful regarding Madrid (its hotel page gives a list of various hotel pages); I'm sure other posters can supply others.
http://www.madridinsider.com/
I've not really spent much time in Madrid hotels - I've either used hostals (similar in value to a bed and breakfast) or rented a room for a longer period. One hotel I was impressed with lately was Hotel Ibis Madrid Centro, near Bilbao metro. C/ Manuela Malasaña 6 It's a great location in my opinion. I personally would avoid hotels next to the Gran Via - although a big shopping street there's always been a low-life element (prostitutes, bag snatchers etc) who gravitate here, and you have to be constantly alert - not what you need on holiday.
As to eating - if you can have your main meal at lunch time (I'm afraid in Spain this means after 1.30) then you can save a lot of money. If you ask around, you'll find a good place for menu del dia for around 9 or 10 Euros each (there are cheaper places in residential parts, but you have to know where to look). This should include two courses, bread, a bottle of wine and a coffee for afters. In the evenings you often get a free snack with a beer or wine; however the bars catering for American and British tourists in the centre often don't do this now. If you're looking for somewhere special to eat and like steak, I can recommend La Cabaña Argentina which is centrally located at C/ Ventura De La Vega 10. There are lots of different options to eating out in Madrid (contrary to myth there are even vegetarian restaurants) but you may need to ask your hotel as to local recommendations.
For lighter eating options try asking for a "pincho de tortilla" or a bocadillo (bread roll) either of queso (cheese), jamon (ham) or chorizo (spicy salami). Each year also, there are new ventures selling sandwich and healthy style food. Another option is to use the cafeteria in El Corte Ingles - this may be a good place to try out new Spanish dishes or merely cool down with a gazpacho. It's rarely cheap in El Corte Ingles, but they do strive towards good quality.
Breakfast is normally coffee with churros or toast or croisant. A lot of places will offer fresh orange juice too. If you really must have a British breakfast, head for an Irish pub.
A small warning for the poster going in August. Normally a lot of places close in August and half the population head to the sea or mountains to escape the heat. To a certain extent this improves the city as there's less congestion and stress; however you may have to walk further to find a shop or bar still open. It's not as bad as it was once, and many places stay open to take advantage of the tourists. Also it's "Rebajas" season - the sales are on, so you may pick up a bargain.
Please heed warnings regarding pickpockets at busy tourist spots, such as Metro stations, rail stations and the Puerta del Sol. Also, if you sit down for a drink in a central cafe-bar, please keep any bags secure and in sight. Distraction robberies are not unknown - better by far to leave any bags in your hotel, and keep wallets in hard to access places. So long as you're sensible in tourist zones you'll probably be alright. If you know your money is hidden and secure you can then relax and enjoy the life of the capital.
Buen Viaje!
good post
Old Jul 12th 2009, 8:43 am
Not Banned (yet)

Originally Posted by marisol
good post
Gracias Marisol! You're the expert in Madrid though. Are there any new museums or developments you can recommend visiting in Madrid? (apart from the traditional must-see places like the Prado, Reina Sofia etc)
Old Jul 12th 2009, 8:45 am
BE Forum Addict

Veleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to behold

Best place for hotel reviews is www.tripadvisor.com.

You'll get far more info there about hotels that you will on a forum.
Old Jul 12th 2009, 10:34 am
BE Enthusiast

marisol has a reputation beyond reputemarisol has a reputation beyond reputemarisol has a reputation beyond reputemarisol has a reputation beyond reputemarisol has a reputation beyond reputemarisol has a reputation beyond reputemarisol has a reputation beyond reputemarisol has a reputation beyond reputemarisol has a reputation beyond reputemarisol has a reputation beyond reputemarisol has a reputation beyond repute

Gracias Marisol! You're the expert in Madrid though. Are there any new museums or developments you can recommend visiting in Madrid? (apart from the traditional must-see places like the Prado, Reina Sofia etc)
There are a lot of places to visit en Madrid, besides the museums, as the "El Jardin Botánico" in front of "Museo del Prado" and its worth visiting it. Its the larger life plants collection of Spain

jardín botánico

"El Museo de Ciencias Naturales" just at the back of "Biblioteca Nacional"

Museo de ciencias naturales

Biblioteca Nacional

El Museo Thyssen-Bornemisza is very interesting and you can see the painting collection of the Varon Thyssen and its also in Recoletos area, near the Retiro and Museo del Prado

MuseoThyssen

El Retiro is also very beautiful to take a walk for, ant there are a lot of monuments inside

Retiro

and so on..

Museos en madrid

there are also a lot of "galerias de arte" very interesting

galerias de arte en madrid

There are so many things to do and so many places to visit and so many bares to enjoy....

i hope this help
Old Jul 12th 2009, 10:44 am
BE Enthusiast

a good link with pics and everything. Sorry, i didnt find it in English but i keep on trying

que ver en madrid
Old Jul 12th 2009, 10:59 am
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Veleta
Best place for hotel reviews is www.tripadvisor.com.

You'll get far more info there about hotels that you will on a forum.
Of course, it`s a company that specializes in it, but they can`t give personal recommendations. ;-))
Old Jul 12th 2009, 11:27 am
BE Enthusiast

There is an apartahotel very near Plaza de Castilla (Bravo Murillo) Apartahotel Quo Galeon that has a very good price and is near the metro and autobuses

quo galeon

el Apartahotel Plaza de España, in the plaza de España near everything

apartahotel plaza de españa

buen viaje!!
Old Jul 12th 2009, 11:38 am
BE Enthusiast

If you come to madrid, you have to try Casa Mira, they sell the best sweet things

casa mira

and eat croquetas in Casa Labra

casa labra
Old Jul 12th 2009, 1:38 pm
Not Banned (yet)

This video of tapas bars in central Madrid (looks like the area close to Calle de la Cruz) may interest you:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MR51bHksveM
Old Jul 12th 2009, 2:23 pm
Just Joined

galwaykoala has a brilliant futuregalwaykoala has a brilliant futuregalwaykoala has a brilliant futuregalwaykoala has a brilliant futuregalwaykoala has a brilliant futuregalwaykoala has a brilliant futuregalwaykoala has a brilliant future

This video of tapas bars in central Madrid (looks like the area close to Calle de la Cruz) may interest you:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MR51bHksveM
Steviedelux Thank you.... excellent post. Yes I can now see what you mean regarding the Madrid Card. It works out very expensive for just 3 days. We will get the 10 journey option I think. I know its going to be very hot in August but the trip is a birthday gift for my husband (60th) from our daughter so we will have to brave the heat. We have a little experience of the heat having lived in Sydney for 20 plus years. My husband is an English man so cricket and rugby are his games but I think he would appreciate a visit to the famous soccer stadium.....would you recommend this or not. Not sure how to organise it. Do you just turn up or do you have to book somewhere. We have 3 days in Barcelona before Madrid so hope to take it easy and not try to do too much. The Royal Palace is a must though and thank you again for the tip on the Madrid Card.
Old Jul 12th 2009, 2:25 pm
Just Joined

Sorry used the wrong quote there.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.