Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Madrid- Public bilingüal schools. English teachers?

Madrid- Public bilingüal schools. English teachers?

Old May 19th 2011, 9:56 am
Forum Regular

macgirl is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Madrid- Public bilingüal schools. English teachers?

Does anybody know if in the public bilingüal schools in Madrid they hire English teachers? Or are they Spanish teachers teaching bad English??

Last edited by macgirl; May 19th 2011 at 11:00 am.
Old May 19th 2011, 11:27 am
squeaky clean

Location: Spain 4th feb 08 - October 11, now flits batck and forth from sunny Worthing
jojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Madrid- Public bilingüal schools. English teachers?

Originally Posted by macgirl
Does anybody know if in the public bilingüal schools in Madrid they hire English teachers? Or are they Spanish teachers teaching bad English??
From the little I know there are a mixture of TEFL english and other nationalities and bilingual Spanish/English teachers. I dont know about teaching bad english??? I doubt if they werent qualified, they wouldnt stay long

Jo xxx
Old May 19th 2011, 11:36 am
BE Forum Addict

paintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jojojojojo
From the little I know there are a mixture of TEFL english and other nationalities and bilingual Spanish/English teachers. I dont know about teaching bad english??? I doubt if they werent qualified, they wouldnt stay long

Jo xxx
My daughters english teacher called a butterfly a mantequilla mosca!!!!!!!
Old May 19th 2011, 11:40 am

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by paintermujer
Sounds absolutely delicious!!!!!!

Rosemary

Last edited by Rosemary; May 19th 2011 at 11:57 am.
Old May 19th 2011, 11:42 am
BE Forum Addict

paintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond repute

...........and one of her conocemiento textbooks translates head as cranium,the stop sign as obligation,men at work as danger and train as locomotive to mention a few.

Not that they are wrong just badly translated and confusing for the child I think.
Old May 19th 2011, 11:45 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by The Oddities
Sounds absolutely deliscious!!!!!!

Rosemary
UMMM!!!!!!!!!! Pan fried flies in butter. Weve all probably eaten some of those.Lol.
Old May 19th 2011, 11:48 am
Jur

Jur is an unknown quantity at this point

...........and one of her conocemiento textbooks translates head as cranium,the stop sign as obligation,men at work as danger and train as locomotive to mention a few.

Not that they are wrong just badly translated and confusing for the child I think.
That´s probably true.
Old May 19th 2011, 11:51 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Jur
That´s probably true.
Yes probably but on spanish signs it says obras so whats the difference.
Old May 19th 2011, 2:40 pm
Jur

Jur is an unknown quantity at this point

Came across a sign the other day which said:

"obras"

and the translation:

"it is working"

Old May 19th 2011, 2:52 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by jojojojojo

Jo xxx
I studied English with Spanish teachers.... at the Secondary School and at the Official Language School. When I ended, I got my "certificate" and I couldn't mantain a conversation in English. That is why I said "bad English". I should have written "not English at all"... But that was many years ago. Maybe Esperanza Aguirre, in Madrid, who is very anglophile, is doing things right!
Old May 19th 2011, 4:00 pm
¿Dónde estoy?

lynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond repute

I studied English with Spanish teachers.... at the Secondary School and at the Official Language School. When I ended, I got my "certificate" and I couldn't mantain a conversation in English. That is why I said "bad English". I should have written "not English at all"... But that was many years ago. Maybe Esperanza Aguirre, in Madrid, who is very anglophile, is doing things right!
it's because they teach the grammar, the spelling, but very often not the pronunciation or very much actual speaking - at least that's the way in the schools here

I have been told tha the English teacher in the port school is (or was a couple of years ago) Argentinian - can you imagine the accent

my dds probably know more English grammar than any English adult I know - which can only be a good thing

of course, because we speak english at home, their pronunciation is fine

a few years ago I was teaching English in a language school & I had a young man from Madrid come for some intensive help in the summer

he was actually in his final year studying to teach English - he was just having trouble with the 'listening comprehension' part of his finals

he could no more hold a conversation in English than I can in Mandarin - & his pronunciation was frightening!!

he only had to pass that one last exam - & I bet he's teaching English now.....
Old May 19th 2011, 4:31 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by lynnxa
I had a young man from Madrid come for some intensive help in the summer
he was actually in his final year studying to teach English -
he could no more hold a conversation in English than I can in Mandarin - & his pronunciation was frightening!!
he only had to pass that one last exam - & I bet he's teaching English now.....
Yes, that's what happens... We study a lot of grammar. But we don't do any pronunciation! So we can't talk! But that is because of the spanish/argentinian teachers
Old May 19th 2011, 9:29 pm
Banned

JLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jur
Came across a sign the other day which said:

"obras"
and the translation:

"it is working"

I thought it translated into "Irish ladies undergarments"
Old May 20th 2011, 8:02 am
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JLFS
I thought it translated into "Irish ladies undergarments"
Old May 20th 2011, 1:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

Lynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond repute

I don't think that is so very different from the teaching of foreign languages in British schools. I studied French to 'A' level, taught by a British teacher (although we did have a French assistant for a small amount of conversation practice, and a language laboratory to listen to spoken French and reply to questions) and I couldn't sustain a conversation in French either, apart from very basic stuff like asking directions or buying something - but I couldn't understand the replies in rapid French! I could read and understand French pretty well, though, and still can although I've never used it apart from a couple of short breaks in France.

Of course things may have changed as it's a long time since I left school, too. Almost 40 years, in fact - scary!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.