Reload this Page >

madrid new life

madrid new life

Old Aug 15th 2008, 6:59 pm
Just Joined

katy mclaren is an unknown quantity at this point
Default madrid new life

Hola everyone

My name is katrina and i have just moved to madrid from Jerez. I work in centro comercial Xanadu and now live in Arroyomolinos. I was wanting to go to evening classes for spanish and also i would like to meet new and interesting people. does anyone have any info or help!!!

I am a 31year old SWF and would like to make new and exciting friends

Hope to hear from anyone soonXX
Old Aug 15th 2008, 8:40 pm
Banned

betris has a reputation beyond reputebetris has a reputation beyond reputebetris has a reputation beyond reputebetris has a reputation beyond reputebetris has a reputation beyond reputebetris has a reputation beyond reputebetris has a reputation beyond reputebetris has a reputation beyond reputebetris has a reputation beyond reputebetris has a reputation beyond reputebetris has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: madrid new life

Originally Posted by katy mclaren
Hola everyone

My name is katrina and i have just moved to madrid from Jerez. I work in centro comercial Xanadu and now live in Arroyomolinos. I was wanting to go to evening classes for spanish and also i would like to meet new and interesting people. does anyone have any info or help!!!

Whats a SWF then.
Old Aug 15th 2008, 8:46 pm
Forum Regular

Agnes is an unknown quantity at this point

single white female.

wy did you move to Madrid from Jerez?
Old Aug 17th 2008, 8:32 am
Just Joined

I moved from Jerez to madrid due to work. I work in the Primark in Xanadu (store manager) That was the only reason!!!

I have worked for the company back home in Scotland for 6 years and after separating from my boyfriend of 8 years i decided for a new life in Spain. I opened the store in Jerez and after 6months working there i received a transfer to Madrid and to a bigger store and turnover.

Whats your story?
Old Aug 17th 2008, 8:37 am
¿Dónde estoy?

lynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond repute

I moved from Jerez to madrid due to work. I work in the Primark in Xanadu (store manager) That was the only reason!!!

I have worked for the company back home in Scotland for 6 years and after separating from my boyfriend of 8 years i decided for a new life in Spain. I opened the store in Jerez and after 6months working there i received a transfer to Madrid and to a bigger store and turnover.

Whats your story?
How do you run a big store without speaking spanish??

serious question
Old Aug 17th 2008, 8:57 am
Just Joined

I get by, the staff are very helpful and i have a mix of management team who speak english and spanish. I can speak the basics and i understand a lot more now when they are speaking to me, i just find it hard to reply back to them, however i am trying very hard where possible to speak spanish all the time and i am learning every day!!
Old Aug 17th 2008, 9:04 am
¿Dónde estoy?

lynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond repute

I get by, the staff are very helpful and i have a mix of management team who speak english and spanish. I can speak the basics and i understand a lot more now when they are speaking to me, i just find it hard to reply back to them, however i am trying very hard where possible to speak spanish all the time and i am learning every day!!
tbh you'll probably learn a lot more quickly by working with the Spanish & talking to them as much as possible, than going to lessons!

I think if you did start lessons you'd probably start worrying about being 'correct' & clam up -

just open your mouth & speak - they'll correct you if you make mistakes - you are in a very enviable position
Old Aug 17th 2008, 9:06 am
Forum Regular

Agnes is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Katy

I am also Scottish and teach English to Spanish in Jerez. I have visited Primark in Jerez and actually saw you and commented to my husband a member of staff speaking Scottish. I wish I had spoken to you now.

Good luck with your new venture in Madid
Old Aug 17th 2008, 9:39 am
Just Joined

Ah thats a shame, well the manager now in the store is irish and is getting in Malaga in two weeks time and then off work for 3 weeks so i may be down to the store cover for a couple of days to make sure that everything is ok!!!

so you may see me yet
Old Aug 17th 2008, 12:51 pm
Not Banned (yet)

steviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond repute

Hey Katy. I think you'll feel at home come the winter. You'll be able to see the snow-capped mountains to the north of Madrid. It's still generally drier in Madrid than Scotland though.
If you want to meet a decent set of expats in Madrid, try Triskels bar in Malasana.
Old Aug 17th 2008, 12:55 pm
Not Banned (yet)

steviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond repute

Oh, and by the way, there are lots of VO cinemas in Madrid. Try to watch a good film once a week (with the Spanish subtitles)*. It really helps with vocabulary and expressions. Once you get to a better level you can then progress to normal cinemas (although I prefer the class of film in the VO cinema, funnily enough).

* I know you can turn on subtitles with dvd or television, but I find the cinema forces you to pay attention for 1 or 2 hours. At home you soon get distracted.
Old Aug 17th 2008, 1:12 pm
Just Joined

Glasgowgeekess has a brilliant futureGlasgowgeekess has a brilliant futureGlasgowgeekess has a brilliant futureGlasgowgeekess has a brilliant futureGlasgowgeekess has a brilliant futureGlasgowgeekess has a brilliant futureGlasgowgeekess has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by steviedeluxe
Oh, and by the way, there are lots of VO cinemas in Madrid. Try to watch a good film once a week (with the Spanish subtitles)*. It really helps with vocabulary and expressions. Once you get to a better level you can then progress to normal cinemas (although I prefer the class of film in the VO cinema, funnily enough).

* I know you can turn on subtitles with dvd or television, but I find the cinema forces you to pay attention for 1 or 2 hours. At home you soon get distracted.

Silly question,but what is a VO cinema?

Nicky
Old Aug 17th 2008, 1:15 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: madrid new life

Originally Posted by Glasgowgeekess
Silly question,but what is a VO cinema?

Nicky
Version Original
Old Aug 17th 2008, 1:31 pm
BE Enthusiast

marisol has a reputation beyond reputemarisol has a reputation beyond reputemarisol has a reputation beyond reputemarisol has a reputation beyond reputemarisol has a reputation beyond reputemarisol has a reputation beyond reputemarisol has a reputation beyond reputemarisol has a reputation beyond reputemarisol has a reputation beyond reputemarisol has a reputation beyond reputemarisol has a reputation beyond repute

Hola everyone

Hi Katy,
I live in Madrid, i'm spanish but i'm afraid i am too old, i am 50, i am MWF. i'm sure you are not going to have problems living in Madrid. A virtue of the persons from Madrid is that they accept all with opened arms, nobody is foreigner here.
Good luck
marisol
Old Aug 17th 2008, 6:27 pm
Banned

betris has a reputation beyond reputebetris has a reputation beyond reputebetris has a reputation beyond reputebetris has a reputation beyond reputebetris has a reputation beyond reputebetris has a reputation beyond reputebetris has a reputation beyond reputebetris has a reputation beyond reputebetris has a reputation beyond reputebetris has a reputation beyond reputebetris has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by marisol
Hi Katy,
I live in Madrid, i'm spanish but i'm afraid i am too old, i am 50, i am MWF. i'm sure you are not going to have problems living in Madrid. A virtue of the persons from Madrid is that they accept all with opened arms, nobody is foreigner here.
Good luck
marisol
whay area of madrid as madrid is a verry big place.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.