Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Madrid to Chiclana

Madrid to Chiclana

Old Feb 11th 2007, 9:58 am
BE Enthusiast

dazzle is a name known to alldazzle is a name known to alldazzle is a name known to alldazzle is a name known to alldazzle is a name known to alldazzle is a name known to alldazzle is a name known to alldazzle is a name known to alldazzle is a name known to alldazzle is a name known to alldazzle is a name known to all
Default Madrid to Chiclana

Can anyone tell me how long it takes to drive from Madrid to Chiclana. What are the other alternatives, flights, train etc?

Has anyone done this trip and what would you advise?
Old Feb 11th 2007, 10:41 am
Forum Regular

Mr Impish will become famous soon enoughMr Impish will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Madrid to Chiclana

Well, depends how fast you drive really. From the Airport, 7 hours ish plus stops keeping to the speed limits.
Old Feb 11th 2007, 10:46 am
Welsh Ambassador to Spain

Fortaleza has a reputation beyond reputeFortaleza has a reputation beyond reputeFortaleza has a reputation beyond reputeFortaleza has a reputation beyond reputeFortaleza has a reputation beyond reputeFortaleza has a reputation beyond reputeFortaleza has a reputation beyond reputeFortaleza has a reputation beyond reputeFortaleza has a reputation beyond reputeFortaleza has a reputation beyond reputeFortaleza has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dazzle
Can anyone tell me how long it takes to drive from Madrid to Chiclana. What are the other alternatives, flights, train etc?

Depends on how fast you go of course but around 540km Madrid to SE30 Seville ringroad (approx 4 hours 15mins), some 10km around the ringroad to get to A4 Cadiz road, just over 100km to turn off for Chiclana (under an hour) then the 15km or so to Chiclana.

In all allow 6 hours but you can do it in less.

Don't know about Madrid to Jerez flights but to Seville it can be quite pricey and you're still far away. Gibraltar has a new daily Madrid service but again you're miles away from Chiclana.

There's a train that goes along the high speed AVE route that bypasses Seville and carries on to Cadiz. Think that takes about 4 1/2 hours but doesn't leave frequently (think only once a day but check)

Alternatively, take the bus but be warned - it takes ages and isn't the most pleasant of journeys despite the coaches being quite well furnished.

I would opt for car - means you also have transport when you arrive.
Old Feb 11th 2007, 1:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

Chiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond repute

I have flown from Jerez to Madrid by Iberia. Then got the underground into the city centre. No problems whatsoever.
Old Feb 11th 2007, 3:42 pm
Forum Regular

Lis48 is a name known to allLis48 is a name known to allLis48 is a name known to allLis48 is a name known to allLis48 is a name known to allLis48 is a name known to allLis48 is a name known to allLis48 is a name known to allLis48 is a name known to allLis48 is a name known to allLis48 is a name known to all

I have both driven and gone by train and def would recommend train which takes about 5 hours compared to the 7 I took driving. Long distance trains are really good in Spain. If you are retired make sure you get your Tarjeta Dorada to give a big discount especially on mid week travel. The problem with driving was not just the travelling time but negotiating my way round Madrid whereas by train you arrive straight onto the metro to go anywhere. There are two trains a day, morning and evening, an Altaria and a Talgo night train. Daily flights go to Madrid from Jerez but would prob take as long.
Old Feb 11th 2007, 4:29 pm
Forum Regular

Big_john is just really niceBig_john is just really niceBig_john is just really niceBig_john is just really niceBig_john is just really niceBig_john is just really niceBig_john is just really niceBig_john is just really niceBig_john is just really niceBig_john is just really nice

As Liz48 say's trains in Spain are brill.

I love going anywhere on the trains in spain.

We always used to put the car on the train at Malaga to go to either Barcelona or if we were going to catch the ferry at Bilbao then Bilbao & get off nice and fresh the next morning after brekkie .

Both overnight, with a restaurant car fantastic seating with vid's and music, a good bar and views that you will never see any other way

Go for it you know you want to
Old Feb 11th 2007, 4:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

Chiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Big_john
As Liz48 say's trains in Spain are brill.

I love going anywhere on the trains in spain.

We always used to put the car on the train at Malaga to go to either Barcelona or if we were going to catch the ferry at Bilbao then Bilbao & get off nice and fresh the next morning after brekkie .

Both overnight, with a restaurant car fantastic seating with vid's and music, a good bar and views that you will never see any other way

Go for it you know you want to
What a fabulous idea. How long did it take. Did you have a sleeping cabin? Where do you find the info out?
Old Feb 11th 2007, 5:07 pm
has got a huge member

keithwalters has a reputation beyond reputekeithwalters has a reputation beyond reputekeithwalters has a reputation beyond reputekeithwalters has a reputation beyond reputekeithwalters has a reputation beyond reputekeithwalters has a reputation beyond reputekeithwalters has a reputation beyond reputekeithwalters has a reputation beyond reputekeithwalters has a reputation beyond reputekeithwalters has a reputation beyond reputekeithwalters has a reputation beyond repute

If you can make your own way to Seville (by car or train) the AVE leaves virtually every hour on the hour. It takes 2 and a half hours and costs bout 100 euros return.

Flights from Jerez to Madrid with Iberia vary in cost, but about 170euros return is a rough guide.

I would go by AVE.
Old Feb 12th 2007, 7:39 am

Fortaleza has a reputation beyond reputeFortaleza has a reputation beyond reputeFortaleza has a reputation beyond reputeFortaleza has a reputation beyond reputeFortaleza has a reputation beyond reputeFortaleza has a reputation beyond reputeFortaleza has a reputation beyond reputeFortaleza has a reputation beyond reputeFortaleza has a reputation beyond reputeFortaleza has a reputation beyond reputeFortaleza has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lis48
I have both driven and gone by train and def would recommend train which takes about 5 hours compared to the 7 I took driving. Long distance trains are really good in Spain. If you are retired make sure you get your Tarjeta Dorada to give a big discount especially on mid week travel. The problem with driving was not just the travelling time but negotiating my way round Madrid whereas by train you arrive straight onto the metro to go anywhere. There are two trains a day, morning and evening, an Altaria and a Talgo night train. Daily flights go to Madrid from Jerez but would prob take as long.
I was under the impression that it was Madrid to Chiclana not the other way around - therefore the Metro option is not relevant. Dazzle needs to get TO Chiclana.

I don't know why so many people complain about negotiating their way around Madrid (not just you Lis but I've heard it many times from expats) - I find it fantastic,especially as they've added all the other toll-road options. There can be loads of traffic but it moves (unless you go at the silly times).
As for the drive - unless you stop loads and travel well under the speed limit it should not take you seven hours. It is around 670km in total and straightforward. I usually don't like to stop (I do a similar journey often but instead of heding south to Cadiz I head west to Huelva and the journey's longer by only about 10-20km) but one stop is more than enough. If I stop (on the way down from Madrid) I stop just before Cordoba at the 370-380km mark.

As for cost, I find that just over 3/4 of a full tank does the journey fine. If you're on a budget then take your car or go by bus which is Secorbus and costs between 44 € and 60 € return

For the easy life, though, the Altaria or Talgo train straight to Cadiz works well enough. That costs around 100 € return. Organise transport at the other end and you're sorted.
Old Feb 12th 2007, 7:44 am
BE Enthusiast

dazzle is a name known to alldazzle is a name known to alldazzle is a name known to alldazzle is a name known to alldazzle is a name known to alldazzle is a name known to alldazzle is a name known to alldazzle is a name known to alldazzle is a name known to alldazzle is a name known to alldazzle is a name known to all

Thanks everyone - Lots of ideas here.

It's not actually me who is planning the journey, I have Canadian guests who are visiting Madrid first. Being Canadian, I don't think 7 hours driving phases them at all!
Old Feb 12th 2007, 8:20 am

Thanks everyone - Lots of ideas here.

It's not actually me who is planning the journey, I have Canadian guests who are visiting Madrid first. Being Canadian, I don't think 7 hours driving phases them at all!
That's just a trip to the supermarket for them then!!!!!!!!
Old Feb 12th 2007, 8:23 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Fortaleza
That's just a trip to the supermarket for them then!!!!!!!!
And the weather should be a bonus, I'm told they are currently in the middle of their big freeze with 6ft of snow in places!
Old Feb 12th 2007, 10:02 pm
BE Enthusiast

Right - so far so good - but now I need to give them some directions - obviously not all the way from Madrid but local directions as they near Chiclana.

My question is which way are they likely to approach the area, ie where would the best place be, to start my directions? Remember though that I'm a person who has virtually no sense of direction!!!
Old Feb 12th 2007, 11:14 pm

Right - so far so good - but now I need to give them some directions - obviously not all the way from Madrid but local directions as they near Chiclana.

My question is which way are they likely to approach the area, ie where would the best place be, to start my directions? Remember though that I'm a person who has virtually no sense of direction!!!
Ummmm......... we don't know where they are going exactly.

OK. From Seville, down the A4 to the turn off at Puerto Real ( I think it's exit 104km). Follow all directions to Algericas and if memory serves the first turning for Chiclana is some 15 km later. Once there - alongside big Supersol (or whatever it's called) going down to McDonalds you've got some easy landmarks.
Old Feb 13th 2007, 4:26 am
BE Enthusiast

So they'll come down the toll road from the direction of Seville then?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.