Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Madrid; working in a bar with no spanish?

Madrid; working in a bar with no spanish?

Old Jan 9th 2012, 12:05 am
Just Joined

Scottiedoesntknow is an unknown quantity at this point
Cool Madrid; working in a bar with no spanish?

Hey guys, first time posting on this forum. Im from Scotland and landed in Madrid back in september. I had some savings which I have lived off for a while whilst getting to know the place. My question however is this; Is there any english bars around the madrid area you think I could apply too? My spanish is very basic at best, however I really do not mind what kind of work I get in a bar, whether it be cleaning glasses, pouring daddy pints or collecting the glasses. If anyone has any information it would be greatly appreciated!
Old Jan 9th 2012, 5:12 am

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Madrid; working in a bar with no spanish?

As Concierge for the Spanish section of BE I would like to say hello and welcome.

BE is a very large expat website, so if you have problems finding your way around we have concierges who will try to direct you. The moderators for the Spanish forums are Mitzyboy and Fred James, moderators are there to ensure that the site runs smoothly within the rules of BE. Problems and complaints should always be addressed to a moderador who will look into the matter and deal with it efficiently and fairly. Our members who post in the Spain Forums are friendly and helpful with a wealth of knowledge of the issues of living in Spain. At the top of the page you will find a quirkily named thread called Free Beer which is full of important and useful information. Hope you enjoy your time participating in the forums.

Please let me know if you need any further help.

Rosemary
Old Jan 9th 2012, 8:38 am
FreeThinker

jimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond repute

You might have a better chance if you pretend you're Irish.
Old Jan 9th 2012, 9:46 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

cricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond repute

I cant imagine a single bar in Madrid where you wont have to deal with at least some Spanish customers

The level of Spanish needed in a bar isnt that high, but you will need to be able to communicate with your work mates and of course know all the different drinks people will ask for
Old Jan 9th 2012, 9:56 am

Domino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Scottiedoesntknow
Hey guys, first time posting on this forum. Im from Scotland and landed in Madrid back in september. I had some savings which I have lived off for a while whilst getting to know the place. My question however is this; Is there any english bars around the madrid area you think I could apply too? My spanish is very basic at best, however I really do not mind what kind of work I get in a bar, whether it be cleaning glasses, pouring daddy pints or collecting the glasses. If anyone has any information it would be greatly appreciated!
Scottie, not wishing to be unkind but WTF have you been doing in Madrid since you arrived in September that you have to ask us for advice on Madrid bars.?
Surely you have been looking in thru windows, walking past etc etc.

Old Jan 9th 2012, 10:12 am
squeaky clean

Location: Spain 4th feb 08 - October 11, now flits batck and forth from sunny Worthing
jojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond repute

........... and lets not forget the mass unemployment in Spain. You should have started looking when you first arrived and not just British Bars - any you can find, just go in and ask

Jo xxx
Old Jan 9th 2012, 10:22 am
Not Banned (yet)

steviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Domino
Scottie, not wishing to be unkind but WTF have you been doing in Madrid since you arrived in September that you have to ask us for advice on Madrid bars.?
Surely you have been looking in thru windows, walking past etc etc.

Yes, it does seem a little unlikely - there are Irish bars scattered all over the place (although I think Finbars has now closed).

http://www.gomadrid.com/activity/nig...rish-pubs.html

They seem to be doing quite well too - and as Cricketman pointed out, they get Spanish customers so the language would be essential.

http://www.smartplanet.com/blog/glob...-in-madrid/810

Most of Madrid’s cervecerias only feature the Spanish football (soccer) games at night, filling with customers just from 8 to 10 p.m. It is Madrid’s nearly 50 Irish bars that are leading the reinvention of the Spanish hospitality industry, in order to attract a more steady and diverse customer base. They fill their bars night after night by offering flexible entertainment, international sports, live music with no cover charges, diverse menus, and, of course, a wider selection of beer.
Old Jan 9th 2012, 1:47 pm
Forum Regular

Kayak is an unknown quantity at this point

I frequent around some of the Irish bars in Madrid and they are mostly filled with spanish punters of course. You will need to learn Spanish. The only non speakers around here are English teachers.

The standard of spoken English in Madrid is very poor for a international city imho.... good job South America is such a emerging market to trade with
Old Jan 10th 2012, 10:16 am
Started off with nothing

missile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kayak
The standard of spoken English in Madrid is very poor for a international city imho.... good job South America is such a emerging market to trade with
Better than the level of spanish spoken in London.
Old Jan 11th 2012, 5:58 am
Forum Regular

Kayak is an unknown quantity at this point

Good Point Missile,

But in the business world English is essential in europe...! Fair play for a spanish barman in madrid to speak no english!

Lucky the South Americas have a strong economy for spain to trade with
Old Jan 11th 2012, 7:21 am
squeaky clean

Location: Spain 4th feb 08 - October 11, now flits batck and forth from sunny Worthing
jojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond repute

Good Point Missile,

But in the business world English is essential in europe...! Fair play for a spanish barman in madrid to speak no english!

But working in a bar requires the national language, to do the 'behind the scenes' stuff, such as.phoning suppliers, speaking to delivery men, sorting out local issues, speaking with the ayuntmiento.......not to mention being able to talk to regulars, most of whom will be Spanish - other nationalities who are on holiday wont expect fluency in their own language

Jo xxx
Old Jan 11th 2012, 7:33 am

Domino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jojojojojo
But working in a bar requires the national language, to do the 'behind the scenes' stuff, such as.phoning suppliers, speaking to delivery men, sorting out local issues, speaking with the ayuntmiento.......not to mention being able to talk to regulars, most of whom will be Spanish - other nationalities who are on holiday wont expect fluency in their own language

Jo xxx
Jo, most of those things an ordinary barman serving drinks will have no contact with, just the same as in the UK, just serve drinks.
All the other bits the owner/manager will do, never even considering leaving it to a guiri with no language skills.

But many barmen in international cities such as Barcelona are multi-lingual, have uni degrees, are there for the social rather than professional aspect of the work.
Tom Cruise - Cocktail
Old Jan 11th 2012, 7:34 am
Started off with nothing

missile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond repute

Good Point Missile,

My post was in jest. I did understand your point.
Old Jan 11th 2012, 7:41 am
squeaky clean

Originally Posted by Domino
Jo, most of those things an ordinary barman serving drinks will have no contact with, just the same as in the UK, just serve drinks.
All the other bits the owner/manager will do, never even considering leaving it to a guiri with no language skills.

But many barmen in international cities such as Barcelona are multi-lingual, have uni degrees, are there for the social rather than professional aspect of the work.
Tom Cruise - Cocktail
But how restricting. Not being able to speak or converse in the national language - even at interview level, let alone to all your colleagues. I worked in a small bar in Alhaurin el Grande {a very british bar and town} and not being fluent in Spanish was a handicap and embarrassing. In a larger bar I can only imagine how much worse it would be

Jo xxx

Last edited by jojojojojo; Jan 11th 2012 at 7:44 am.
Old Jan 11th 2012, 8:01 am

Originally Posted by jojojojojo
But how restricting. Not being able to speak or converse in the national language - even at interview level, let alone to all your colleagues. I worked in a small bar in Alhaurin el Grande {a very british bar and town} and not being fluent in Spanish was a handicap and embarrassing. In a larger bar I can only imagine how much worse it would be

Jo xxx
But Jo, someone gave you the opportunity and it improved your Spanish.

Language is only a part of the problem, bar staff are expected to be servile but strong, to have effective hygiene training - albeit limited, handling the money (that change from £ to € isnt easy) whilst being able to see beyond the limits of the bar into the gloom and foresee problems.
I don't see it as "just" a barman, but someeone who is more responsible than many want to think they are and treat in a bad way.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.