Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Mad Madrid Motorcyclists ?

Mad Madrid Motorcyclists ?

Old Jan 22nd 2008, 10:34 pm
Just Joined

Sema4 is a jewel in the roughSema4 is a jewel in the roughSema4 is a jewel in the roughSema4 is a jewel in the roughSema4 is a jewel in the rough
Wink Mad Madrid Motorcyclists ?

Hi everyone, I know it's possibly not your average destination in Spain, but I just landed my self a job in Madrid and I plan to bring my bike (CBR600F) over for some fun in the sun...

Any other mad motorcyclists in or around Madrid ?

Any good meeting places for bikers ?

Any good routes or roads that are a 'must visit' ?

Distance is no real obstacle, have bike, will travel, just point me in the right direction please

I don't know how long I will be here, at the moment, I'm 'just visiting' and I will need to 'flee the country' every few months to stay legal, or something like that, but I have rented a place in Madrid for the next year so any tips or info on roads or places would be much appreciated.

I'd also like to say thanks to the operators of this forum and it's contributors, some great info here thats very useful to many people, top marks, thanks !
Old Jan 22nd 2008, 10:42 pm
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Mad Madrid Motorcyclists ?

Originally Posted by Sema4
Hi everyone, I know it's possibly not your average destination in Spain, but I just landed my self a job in Madrid and I plan to bring my bike (CBR600F) over for some fun in the sun...

Distance is no real obstacle, have bike, will travel, just point me in the right direction please

I don't know how long I will be here, at the moment, I'm 'just visiting' and I will need to 'flee the country' every few months to stay legal, or something like that, but I have rented a place in Madrid for the next year so any tips or info on roads or places would be much appreciated.

I'd also like to say thanks to the operators of this forum and it's contributors, some great info here thats very useful to many people, top marks, thanks !
Take a trip down to Huescar and take photies of your bike with Xtreme
Old Jan 22nd 2008, 10:55 pm
Just Joined

Sema4 is a jewel in the roughSema4 is a jewel in the roughSema4 is a jewel in the roughSema4 is a jewel in the roughSema4 is a jewel in the rough

Xtreme ? Another member here I assume ? Hmmm, sounds like fun, thanks

If I should happen to pass you by at some point, give me a honk, so to speak, you'll know it's me, you can't miss me...

Old Jan 22nd 2008, 10:59 pm
BE Enthusiast

sarahchirles has a reputation beyond reputesarahchirles has a reputation beyond reputesarahchirles has a reputation beyond reputesarahchirles has a reputation beyond reputesarahchirles has a reputation beyond reputesarahchirles has a reputation beyond reputesarahchirles has a reputation beyond reputesarahchirles has a reputation beyond reputesarahchirles has a reputation beyond reputesarahchirles has a reputation beyond reputesarahchirles has a reputation beyond repute

Not thats it is any help to you... But OH used to have a CBR 900 and I used to be the very scared one on the back holding onto the little piece of leather.

Happy days...
Old Jan 23rd 2008, 7:14 am
Mucho Macho

XTreme has a reputation beyond reputeXTreme has a reputation beyond reputeXTreme has a reputation beyond reputeXTreme has a reputation beyond reputeXTreme has a reputation beyond reputeXTreme has a reputation beyond reputeXTreme has a reputation beyond reputeXTreme has a reputation beyond reputeXTreme has a reputation beyond reputeXTreme has a reputation beyond reputeXTreme has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Sema! I've got an old friend from the US by the name of Carlos who lives in Madrid....he does all the trackday/sportsbike stuff.
I can give you his e-mail address if you want cos he knows the biking scene up there.
Old Jan 23rd 2008, 5:03 pm
Just Joined

Hi XTreme, that would be great !

I live very close to the 'Circuito Del Jarama' on the E-5 just north of Alcobendas in Madrid, half way between between San Sebastian de los Reyes and San Agustin del Guadaix and I saw bikes racing there last Sunday, I don't know what the meet was cause my spanish is pants at the moment, but there was about 80 or so super sized artic's and trailers in the pit parking area, so what ever it was, it was well funded...

I don't race my self, but I do enjoy spectating, very much !

If you could send me Carlos's email address that would be much appreciated, I'm still very new to Spain and the area, don't know anyone, few people speak English in Madrid as it's not a common retreat for ex-pats, so it's a steep learning curve at the moment and bike meets would go down a treat in my limited free time

Much obliged
Old Jan 23rd 2008, 5:08 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by sarahchirles
Not thats it is any help to you... But OH used to have a CBR 900 and I used to be the very scared one on the back holding onto the little piece of leather.

Happy days...
oooooooh CBR900

Scary machines by all accounts ! Just that 'little piece of leather' between 'happy days' and 'a spell in the hospital'

Glad yours was the 'happy days' kind...
Old Jan 23rd 2008, 6:22 pm
Mucho Macho

XTreme has a reputation beyond reputeXTreme has a reputation beyond reputeXTreme has a reputation beyond reputeXTreme has a reputation beyond reputeXTreme has a reputation beyond reputeXTreme has a reputation beyond reputeXTreme has a reputation beyond reputeXTreme has a reputation beyond reputeXTreme has a reputation beyond reputeXTreme has a reputation beyond reputeXTreme has a reputation beyond repute

PM sent Sema!
Old Jan 26th 2008, 11:00 am
Forum Regular

coralsoft is just really nicecoralsoft is just really nicecoralsoft is just really nicecoralsoft is just really nicecoralsoft is just really nicecoralsoft is just really nicecoralsoft is just really nicecoralsoft is just really nicecoralsoft is just really nicecoralsoft is just really nicecoralsoft is just really nice

There are some great biking roads around Madrid. I'm not a biker myself, but head up the A6, then take the first road to El Escorial, up the winding road to Galapagar. Just before El Escorial, take the Avila road and head up to the pass over the mountains. At the weekend there are hundreds of bikers on this route and they gather at a restaurant near the top of the pass.

A lot of the uphill stretches on main roads have a slow lane, so that faster vehicles can steam up unhindered. Loads of crazy twists and bends on good quality surfaces, plus some well-sighted straights for overtaking. And plenty of families like us in MPVs to overtake

Almost any of the routes to the North-West up and over the mountains are pretty good, with spectacular views from the top and the villages on the other side are quite nice to stop at.

They're enjoyable even in an MPV, but it's losing it's poke after ferrying us around for years - I'd love to get Clarkson et al out there instead of on that rubbish Italian road they were getting sexed up about on telly the other day.
Old Jan 27th 2008, 8:40 pm
Just Joined

@ XTreme - Many thanks for the PM, I will send him an email, much obliged

@ coralsoft - Thank you so much for your detailed information, I was taken to El Escorial last year when I was here visiting the extended family, and I have some idea of the roads your talking about, I will be sure to check them out when my bike arrives and I will look out for the restaurant they all meet at, thanks again